Awesome Full Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I got an awesome full rejection today. The agent said they had, "appreciation for all your imagination and your lively style," and said, "This had an engaging narrative."

And when it came to the rejection part, she didn't even give me a generic, "I'm just not enthusiastic enough." She said she felt like some parts of the narrative, my MC thought like a kid and other parts she thought like an adult, which I think is sometimes how teens think, but I am going to go through and look at the text anyway, see if I could apply her suggestions.

Woo hoo for positive rejections that leave it open ended for you to send an edited manuscript to them!

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the rejection. But hey, at least you got an agent to even look at your full. That's an accomplish right there. Plus the fact that she gave you personal comments is fantastic!

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Congrads on the fantastic comments this agent offered you! WOW! I'd be excited too. :D

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
If an agent says they "encourage you to go into the text and edit," is it safe to assume if you do so, they'd be happy to look at the manuscript again?

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I'm going to have so many edited versions of this book floating around, it's crazy. I sent out the short YA version to a few, but I don't think any agents have that anymore. I made a longer YA version at the suggestion of an agent to add a subplot and up the word count, and I believe that's out with most of the agents. One agent said they thought the book might be better if it was written for tweens, and I decided to try that too, so he has that version. And if I end up doing these revisions, there'll be another version in the mix!

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, good luck with all the editions, meggy. Sounds like at least one of them will be a winner! That's a wonderful 'rejection'.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
If an agent says they "encourage you to go into the text and edit," is it safe to assume if you do so, they'd be happy to look at the manuscript again?

I'm not sure that would be a good assumption.
I would drop them an e-mail thanking them for the time they took over your manuscript and asking if they would like to see a revised version.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
wow, great feedback! sounds like you're getting closer. good luck on the next round!

bethany

:)
Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
I agree, part of being a teenager, as I'm sure you know! is thinking like a kid one minute and then like an adult the next. Could you maybe add an awareness from the mc that she is doing this? Does that make sense? Is it in first person because if so, I don't think that would be too hard.

Great rejection and I'm sure you're on your way to great things!

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I got an awesome full rejection today. The agent said they had, "appreciation for all your imagination and your lively style," and said, "This had an engaging narrative."

And when it came to the rejection part, she didn't even give me a generic, "I'm just not enthusiastic enough." She said she felt like some parts of the narrative, my MC thought like a kid and other parts she thought like an adult, which I think is sometimes how teens think, but I am going to go through and look at the text anyway, see if I could apply her suggestions.

Woo hoo for positive rejections that leave it open ended for you to send an edited manuscript to them!

Wow! Congrats. Such wonderful comments about your work!

bethany

Registered
Reaction score
Room two-hundred-something on the first floor
Website
www.bethanygriffin.com
oooh, (sorry when I start thinking about something it just bounces around in there) what if you showed the maturity immaturity thing through a friend. Like she has a mature friend who gets exasperated when she's childish. or an immature friend who she likes but who annoys her when she is in more mature mode? Just a thought, just a tbought. Back to my own revisions, carry on...

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
Way to go, Meggy! I think emailing the agent to thank and ask if she would like to see a revised version is a good idea. Either way, GOOD LUCK! :D

Sury

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Just shot her an email saying I'm re-reading it, with an eye towards finding those "very adult thoughts," and asking if she'd like to look at the manuscript again when I finish editing.

*crosses fingers*

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, and remember: even if this agent passes you've obviously got a good thing going.

YAY!

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
Wow, I really admire your enthusiasm in rewrites. It definitely sounds like you've sparked some major interest and if you're flexing it to fit exactly what agents want, you're going to get a green light eventually. Keep us up to date!

Status
Not open for further replies.