Michigan Suburb issues $200 fine for swearing

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/05/19/michigan-suburb-to-ticket-anyone-caught-swearing/

http://time.com/104537/michigan-swearing-disorderly-conduct/

Police in downtown Brighton are cracking down on disorderly conduct by issuing tickets to people who swear or cause problems following complaints about the behavior of teenagers and young adults in the area.

Colin Andersen told the Livingston County Daily Press & Argus of Howell that he was simply venting when he swore after a friend was ticketing for skateboarding in Brighton, a community about 35 miles northwest of Detroit.

The 19-year-old from Brighton said he was in the parking lot near the Imagination Station playground in April when he was ticketed for disorderly conduct. Andersen said he swore under his breath and no children heard him, but he ended up with a $200 fine.

This sounds like an actual valid time for First Amendment folks to come out of the woodwork, you know ... as opposed to when some pundit says something heinous and is punished by a private organization.

Ironically, most of them are probably reading this and saying "Damn straight, we don't need no kids swearing in public!"

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't understand why towns do this. Do they just have money to waste on losing in court? That's all that will happen; there has to be someone in the town government who knows that's all that will happen. What is the point of this stupidity?

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I really don't understand why towns do this. Do they just have money to waste on losing in court? That's all that will happen; there has to be someone in the town government who knows that's all that will happen. What is the point of this stupidity?
I'm guessing from their point of view, trying to force proper, moral conduct is more important than money. Which is a bs reason in my opinion but that seems to be the m.o. of people like this.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I see why people don't understand laws like this and why people say violation of First Amendments. And I have been known to drop more than my fair share of profane comments.

That said I am so tired of hearing people constantly swearing as they walk by my house. It ranges from kids going to school to adults. My day is filled with a plethora of "No f***ing way. F*** him, F*** her, F*** this P*** on it etc.