Rejectomancy

loldoc

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, good point.

On a side note, does anyone have any idea the ratio of Duotrope to non-Duotrope submissions? I realize this is probably impossible to know from a writer's POV, but maybe some of the slush readers or editors / publishers of the board can weigh in?

I think it varies by market. At the time when Stupefying Stories had 200 stories in the slush pile, Duotrope had them at 92 pending. And I've seen markets fill issues without a single listed sale in Duotrope.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just when I thought I was safe for a brief while, a 61 day rejection from ASIM. Guess today is not reprieve day, either :)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Alex and Loldoc! I was blind guessing 7 to 1 on smaller markets, and as much as 23 to 1 on large markets (thanks to the 700 to 30 stats for Borderlands 6) :D

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Thanks Alex and Loldoc! I was blind guessing 7 to 1 on smaller markets, and as much as 23 to 1 on large markets (thanks to the 700 to 30 stats for Borderlands 6) :D

I suspect that a rule of thumb would be that the longer the publication has existed, the lower the percentage of Duotrope-reported submissions will be. (Basing this on the fact that there would be more sources like the print Novel & Short Story Writer's Market, etc. through which people could "find" the publication to submit to it.)

Another likely rule of thumb is that print-based markets probably have a lower percentage of Duotrope-reported submissions than web/ebook-based markets. (Basing this on the supposition that many print markets have at least some degree of submission information within their pages AND that people aware of/submitting to web/ebook-based markets are probably -- on average -- more internet savvy.)

Like any rule of thumb, there are likely exceptions to both of those rules.

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
R from ASIM. Crit that included the phrase 'made me feel a bit nauseous' - lol - but was really helpful. This is the first time I've gotten a 'personal' R that seemed genuinely personal, and it's really going to help me with this story. Wish this happened more often!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
R from ASIM. Crit that included the phrase 'made me feel a bit nauseous' - lol - but was really helpful. This is the first time I've gotten a 'personal' R that seemed genuinely personal, and it's really going to help me with this story. Wish this happened more often!

ASIM is awesome that way. Quick turnarounds (mostly) and almost always personal feedback. Since my ASIM R was from round 2, I had 3 bits of feedback. Two of them were positive, so I'm guessing it takes 3/3 to advance to the final round of consideration. Tough market.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks mhaynes! I guess ultimately it doesn't matter, but I was curious.

Got a 3-day R from Clarkesworld. Already submitted it elsewhere.

As for ASIM, I haven't received a reference number for my 14 day submission. I was going to give them time, seeing as they were inactive, but now I think I ought to resubmit.

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
31-day form R from Flash Fiction Online.

Not a day without an R (or multiple Rs) so far this week. TGIF?

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:(

Sorry about all the Rs.

I hate it when they all come in together.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, just had an R from TheBoston R'view... Not sure whether to be excited or not but it seemed standard to begin with but had the line "it does not suit our present needs, though the premise is certainly engaging and intriguing." I looked on rejection wiki and it doesn't seem to fit the standard or higher tier rejection mould... Could it be a personal??

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
5-day R from Apex. Although the R sucks, I like that they're speedy with their responses now. They must've taken on more slush readers.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
5-day R from Apex. Although the R sucks, I like that they're speedy with their responses now. They must've taken on more slush readers.

The thing with Apex is, there will be like 10 fast Rs, and then a 25 day one...it's almost cyclical.

sorry about the r.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((((Defcon))))

I have one at Apex, and I have no idea whether to expect a quick R, or whether it will take ages.
Duo stats seem all over the place.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
I don't hear crickets. I hear absolute silence. My youngest sub is at Clarkesworld and that's still been 45 days.

By saying that out loud it means the rejections will come pouring in, doesn't it?

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I don't hear crickets. I hear absolute silence. My youngest sub is at Clarkesworld and that's still been 45 days.

By saying that out loud it means the rejections will come pouring in, doesn't it?

I find I've gotten quite superstitious about rejections. They're become kind of like bloody Mary in my mind: talk about them too often (especaily while spinning around in front of a mirror) and they will show up. But geez, 45 days at Clarkesworld? That's more days out than all my Clarkesworld subs put together! Good luck!

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
I find I've gotten quite superstitious about rejections. They're become kind of like bloody Mary in my mind: talk about them too often (especaily while spinning around in front of a mirror) and they will show up. But geez, 45 days at Clarkesworld? That's more days out than all my Clarkesworld subs put together! Good luck!

It does feel that way, doesn't it? There's something about rejections that lends to magical thinking. :)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Still no word from ASIM about my sub... (Recap, sent in Jan 26th, resubbed as per guidelines yesterday). Anyone have experience on this front, or should I just patiently wait? My fear, of course, is that my email account is being blocked or screwing up somehow.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I never knew about wiki rejection. I love it. What a cool idea.

mhaynes

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Finally received my Bull Spec rejection today. (120 days)

I've got several things from the last couple of days that I need to get recirculating later tonight...

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Commiserations all round for rejections. I had a barrage before Christmas.

Marzioli, I submitted a story to ASIM last year. I got a 'your submission has been received' email with a reference number within one day. It would be a good idea to check your email address. I also emailed the editor before I submitted, because I had a couple of basic questions that weren't answered on their website. She responded really fast, and was very nice to me.

At ASIM, the first round gets one slush reader, and the second round gets three, I gathered from their website. Your story needs to achieve a certain score to get through to the third round, and that score varies at times, apparently. My story got through to the third round that time, but was rejected after 97 days. The feedback was personal and very helpful. They were a great mag to submit to. (Same story was rejected elsewhere after two days - a very nice rejection, but still a rejection - so I'm not reading too much into rejection times. But getting an onslaught of them all at once -- ouch!)

Sorry to hear about the R from Penumbra, Alex. I'm watching their stats with interest. I too have one in the queue. Expect that the response will come out some time in the month before the issue, and while I'm pleased they kept it for the editor to look at, looking at their stats, I'm seeing plenty of rejections for stories that have been held for a while.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Marzioli, I submitted a story to ASIM last year. I got a 'your submission has been received' email with a reference number within one day. It would be a good idea to check your email address.
Thanks for the insight! My experience with ASIM has been fraught with troubles, mostly from errors on my part.

On your advice, I checked and doubled checked the submission email address, even to the point of letter-by-letter verification. Fortunately, I got it right. A few hours later I FINALLY got a confirmation, and was assigned a reference number. I went ahead and bumped my Duotrope submission date from the 26th of Jan to yesterday (aka, the resubmission date). If they didn't even have it until now, no use in posting an inflated timeline.

Last edited: