Querying picture books

Ladybuggg

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginaklein.wordpress.com
I have many picture book manuscripts I've written and would like to start sending out. My question is this: In the past, I've heard from agents at conferences say they would like people to send a query and at least 2-3 P.B. mss along with it (to show that the writer has more than one work complete). Others, on their web sites, say to only query first.

How do you query your picture books? Do you send along the mss, too?

For some reason, querying picture books seems a lot more challenging.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You usually write a cover letter and include the full text. (in the envelope on a separate page if it's snail mail, in the body if it's email - no attachments)

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And follow each specific agent's guidelines - because it was my understanding that many (most?) agents these days prefer a query for one book at a time. So make sure you have reasearched each specific agent's submission quidelines.

And if those manuscripts haven't been beta read recently by readers knowledgeable about the picture book market, I strongly advise you check out the Childrens' forum in Share Your Work and - after reading the stickies and some of the other picture book critiques, both to make sure your mansucript is ready and you know what to expect -post some of your manuscripts for critique.

good luck.

~suki

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
You go to the agent's website and you follow their directions. Or you take notes when you hear them speak, and follow their directions. Different agencies have different policies and preferences, that's why you've gotten mixed messages.

There's not a lot of money to be made in a single PB title. For most agents, it's only worthwhile if you can be a continuing source of income. That's why some want to see 2 or 3. But for a really busy agency, that may be just too much to process unless they are already interested, and they may only want to see your one very best work. So do your research first, and find out what they prefer.