What to expect in a phone call...

sadiemay

Lost in Fiction
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melislostinfiction.blogspot.com
I have been corresponding with an agent for a little over a week regarding my PB submission. She's mailed me the contract and we set a time to speak by phone for the first time. I'm not quite sure what to expect. Is there specific questions I should be asking? I already know I agree with their terms, I know when she'll be sending my work out, and we've worked through all the edits. I am a newbie who doesn't want to sound like one. Advise? Insight? Anything would be helpful.

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!!!!:partyguy:

From my experience..

There is a lot of them complimenting your work, going over what is going to happen in the future, they usually led the conversations and then asked if I had any questions.. I usually didn't as they explained everything pretty well.

Last edited:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have been corresponding with an agent for a little over a week regarding my PB submission. She's mailed me the contract and we set a time to speak by phone for the first time. I'm not quite sure what to expect. Is there specific questions I should be asking? I already know I agree with their terms, I know when she'll be sending my work out, and we've worked through all the edits. I am a newbie who doesn't want to sound like one. Advise? Insight? Anything would be helpful.

Agent Rachelle Gardner did a great blog post on the kinds of questions you should ask an agent before signing with an agent. check it out:
http://cba-ramblings.blogspot.com/2009/05/questions-to-ask-agent.html

Also, I assume you have already checked the agent out in the bewares & background check forum, and found only good stuff. if not, do that before signing the agreement. if you have any doubts, ask for more time to consider the offer and talk to some of the agent's clients about their experiences.

Lastly, congratulations. :) Who is it?

~suki

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!

One thing I would clarify ahead of time is your agent's communication style. Is she the type to check in with you once a month, or only when she has news to report? Knowing that up front can save you agonizing over whether no news is good news or a sign she's forgotten all about you.

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score
One thing I would clarify ahead of time is your agent's communication style. Is she the type to check in with you once a month, or only when she has news to report? Knowing that up front can save you agonizing over whether no news is good news or a sign she's forgotten all about you.
Ditto that. Some agents have so many clients I imagine it's difficult for them to remember what they're supposed to be doing at all times. If she's a good agent, she'll realize she's only human and not take offense to your wanting to be kept in the loop on a reasonable timeframe. Certainly ask questions, but most of all be yourself and enjoy the moment. It should only get better from this point on. Many, many congrats!

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
Also, make sure you understand the timezone difference if there is one to make sure the time he/she wants to call is when you expect it to come :)

I had a schedule call for 6pm and thought it was my 6pm rather than his, 6:55 hit and I got a text "Are we still on for our call?"

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I wouldn't worry about sounding excited or inexperienced -- just get the questions answered. PB seem to be one of the hardest forms for attracting an agent/getting published, so you must have something great!