• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] Sourcebooks, Inc.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I'm not asking for me, but someone else. I can't seem to find any information on Lyron Bennett, who is supposedly with Sourcebooks, Inc. Now, this Lyron person lists their address as a Fifth Ave, 11th Floor Suite in NYC.

The only Sourcebooks, Inc I could find is located in Illinois, and nowhere is Lyron Bennett mentioned.

If anyone's heard of him or this or of a publisher at this address, pass it on?

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yes, I found them, Victoria, without problem. This individual appears to be putting out his name, connecting himself to Sourcebooks, Inc, but giving himself a NYC address. The real SB is near Chicago.

I have a bad feeling about this, and I'm going to hate to have to break the news.

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Just to follow up, my friend contacted Sourcebooks, Inc, and received this reply...

Hello,
I received your email regarding Lyron, and yes, he is affiliated with Sourcebooks, Inc. He works out of our New York branch.

His address and telephone which you listed are both correct. If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thank you! :)

Amy Butler
Sourcebooks, Inc. -Customer Service

So it seems Mr. Bennett is legit.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, the NY directory lists "Sourcebooks" in CT, IL, LA, and NY.

101 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10003-1008
(212) 414-1701

ETA: Fine, make me irrelevant. ;)

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
Does anyone have any experience with Deb Werksman or Sourcebooks' Casablanca imprint? They requested my full manuscript. Everything I have found online looks great, just wondering if anyone here has any experiences to share.

VickyH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriahoward.co.uk
At her request I sent Debs Werksman a copy of manuscript back in June. I've heard nothing yet. Sourcebooks website says the average response time is 8-12 weeks - should I send a polite enquiry to find out what the position is?

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
VickyH,
Have you hear anything yet? I'm just curious. I sent a nonfiction book proposal to Sourcebooks a few weeks ago and I don't expect to hear anything for a while. Still, I'd love to hear what the experiences of others have been.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I sent Lupus, a werewolf-type book on 8-26-08, and a paranormal thriller on 11-13-08. Just last week, they passed on the PT, with a notation that Lupus is still under read. So, I assume that one got passed up for a second read, else they wouldn't be hanging on to it so long. Man, I hope that's a good sign.

Source Books is one of those indies that does everything right. Medallion is another one. You can't go wrong here at all. We must hang tough and weather it. Lisa Acosta is a first reader or intern at SB. And Deb is the honcho, and she's really intelligent and communicative.

Tri

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My agent started pitching my manuscript to publishers, and she just notified me that Sourcebooks and Kensington have checked in (a day after receiving her pitch) and want to see it. Now, I know about Kensington, but I've never heard of Sourcebooks. In addition, their site seems to be down.

Can somebody please fill me in. Personal experience is greatly appreciated, as well as any other info that you may have.

Thanks!

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
Site looks fine now, Sleepsheep. http://www.sourcebooks.com/

I know numerous people who have met Deb Werksman at conferences etc. and I've heard nothing but good things about her enthusiasm and communication skills. Sourcebooks is small, but in the last year or so they have acquired several authors--a few with multi-book contracts--and they do seem to be getting themselves out there and making a name.

Congrats on the requests and good luck!

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Lainey and priceless. The site still looks a bit off now, and was completely offline in the afternoon. I'll check again tomorrow.

I reckon they are small compared to the big boys on Broadway, but it's comforting to hear that they are an established inie press with a lot of presence. Here's hoping!

SadieCass

Queen of Trauma Drama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorsarahcass.com
I know that Sourcebooks works to get the word out on their new releases. I've received many emails asking me to review books of all sizes and types from childrens books to adult fiction. So if you get published they do work for you to get the word out online!!

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
We get emailed updates from Sourcebooks on a regular basis. They list their editors and what they're acquiring. Apparently the company is doing very well. It looks like many of their editors are situated in different states and everything is done via computer. They have a number of our fulls in-house and seem to be adding new editors all the time, in different genres.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
It seems they are no longer accepting unagented subs for their YA line

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I'd be surprised if Sourcebooks was larger than Dorchester, but they may be because of their non-fiction sales, which is the majority of their revenue. They are "reasonably" new to fiction and seem to be very selective and in no hurry. Their reputation is good industry-wise and even Kathy Baker (bookseller of the year for a million years) recommends them to writers. I haven't heard anything bad about them at all.