A GAME OF THRONES (HBO) -- POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Izhitsa

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the key thing is warg + Targaryen blood? In which case
Jon FTW!

Perhaps. :)

AFAIK Tyrion
has shown exactly zero signs of being a warg, and I'm not sure where the theory of his having Targaryen blood comes from...
does anyone know?

Dany isn't much of a warg either. As for Tyrion's parentage -- there was stuff like Tywin telling Tyrion that he can't prove Tyrion isn't his son ('Men’s laws give you the right to bear my name and display my colors, since I cannot prove that you are not mine.') and tales of Aerys taking certain liberties with Tywin's wife. I don't believe it myself -- that'd be one too many secret Targs running around.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. Aegon needn't fly up north during his conquest, but...

Firstly, warging isn't a purely Northern thing -- Bloodraven is a living (OK, undead :)) proof that there are warging genes lurking around genomes of old families from the Riverlands. Secondly, IIRC Aegon and his sisters gave the King in the North and his host an 'air show' in order to compel submission. Any warg among the Northerners could've tried. (Incidentally, I bet King Loren of the Rock would've promised a yearly income from his gold mines to the best Northern warg to go south and mess with Balerion's controls. :)). Thirdly, many years after the conquest King Jaehaerys I took six dragons with him on a visit to the North and the Wall.

Very interesting? Where is this lore? I'd love to peruse it.

And yeah, I would imagine if someone tried to warg into a dragon and failed, the dragon would not take kindly to that. Not kindly at all. :)

Izhitsa

Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting? Where is this lore? I'd love to peruse it.
Certainly. Brynden - well... It is known. :)

King in the North seeing Balerion - ASOS Jaime II.

"Torrhen had brought his power south after the fall of the two kings on the Field of Fire," said Jaime, "but when he saw Aegon's dragon and the size of his host, he chose the path of wisdom and bent his frozen knees."

King J visiting the wall - ASOS Bran III

"He's called the Old King because he reigned so long, but he was young when he first came to the Iron Throne. In those days, it was his wont to travel all over the realm. When he came to Winterfell, he brought his queen, six dragons, and half his court."

FalloutMule

Registered
Reaction score
If there is a bright center to the universe, I'm i
Website
thewritingmule.blogspot.com

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
As a non-bookie I can tell you that the finale left a bit to be desired. The Kingslanding scenes were spot on (Tyrion, his father's horse, Sansa and Margery--tho the later undercut a lot of my sympathy for her when she kept grinning so maniacally over at Sansa).

But the Warlock tower in Qarth was a mess. I recognized the iron throne room and saw the snow (yeah, yeah, winter's coming). And the scene in the tent with the baby was moving. But the actual warlock and Dany's rescue by the dragons was--for this nonbookie--a great big shovel of wtf. Here's a guy they set up as able to split into half a dozen pieces and simultaneously assassinate the entire City Council, yet, his sleeve catches on fire and he is rendered helpless. I've seen actual bumbling magicians in real life whose sleeves have caught on fire and they managed to keep their cool better. And why didn't they ramp up the danger of the place? I mean after telling us how dangerous the place was going to be! The actual visit to the tower was more like Dany was having a slightly bizarre dream--hardly the nightmare we'd been led to expect.

And all this talk of wargs--if it plays into the story as importantly as this thread suggests--the show needs to bring it up occasionally (if I recall it may or may not have been mentioned in a brief conversation between Bran and his meister).

Methinks the show is relying too heavily on people knowing what is going on, rather than actually showing us. I know the books are popular and all, but they need to keep the fans who have not read the books--and it feels like they are trying to alienate them. They're going to sink themselves if they expect book fans to be enough to carry the series through to the end--not enough people read.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Methinks the show is relying too heavily on people knowing what is going on, rather than actually showing us.

You may have a point there about relying on the fans who know the story to carry the series. But then, so to does many of the superhero movies and they are full of plot holes.

I have to admit, the changes for the most part that HBO has made, works, but there are a few let downs as well. Like the Tower of the undying.

10 episodes worked for the 1st season, but book 2 was much longer and more complicated and non-book readers missed out on some good back story that sets up a lot of plot points that we have discussed here. Maybe this is what HBO was counting on all along. Discussions between the book readers and non-readers, to bring the non-readers on board.

As to the next season, I am glad HBO decided to break book 3 into two seasons and this should help prevent HBO from skipping around too much. It should be very interesting.

For an adaption from book to screen, AGOT has been pretty faithful...

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry the finale fell flat for you, Johnny. I find your take fascinating - everybody else I know has read the books already. And the warlock did go down easily. Was he made of petrol or something?

jr0127

Registered
Reaction score
I'm still having issues accepting that it's not going to be on this sunday....or the next...for a year.

yay production :(

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So strange, I've never watched this, but a friend of mine has just been offered the chance to be an extra. Can't believe he's actually considering whether to do it or not!:Jaw:

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
For those who need their GOT fix, here is a little article captured from Huff post...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...tml?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment

According to the Huff, there is only 15 minutes of sex/nudity in HBO's AGOT out of 20 hours of air time. That is not a lot, but, I'm not sure the Huff post gets it? I don't think all the discussion around the sex and nudity on AGOT is about the amount of sex or nudity but how it was used. Filler, to show backstory or exposition.

The video is 15 minutes long and the longest scene in the video is, the Littlefinger scene where he is training his his whores. Not a surprise.

Enjoy...

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
No spoilers, just reporting that I am now the proud user of a Mother of Dragons coffee mug. My guests get the Winter is Coming/Stark sigil mug. :D

The customer service guy at my cable company laughed when I told him I was cancelling HBO because Game of Thrones was over, and that I would resubscribe next year. Got the impression I wasn't the first person who told him that ;). Turns out he's a fan, too.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
DreamWeaver, I cancelled my HBO an will re-sub when GoT returns. :)

I usually keep it through True Blood, but it sucked so bad last year (no pun intended), that I'll just wait for the DVD.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
A GOT, season 3, is set to premier March 31st, 2013 on HBO. Here is the latest GOT news from GRRM at Comic Con.

From the Huffington Post...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...te_n_1672521.html?ir=Entertainment&ref=topbar

Part of the news is that Diana Riggs, yes, Ms Emma Peele is cast as the Queen for Thrones, the Lady Olenna Tyrell. I loved this character in the book. She is way smarter than Cercesi. Looks like there is going to be about 14 or 15 new characters introduced next season, along with those they already have. I am going to have to reread Book 3 just to remember who is who and what is what.

Very interesting read...

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Heyas Thoth! Thanks for the updates. Very cool news here!

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I like the part where the young lady playing Dani said someone whispered Khaleesi to her as she was getting off an elevator...

Yes, she is THE Khaleesi...

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
And here is another link from MSN reporting from Comic Con...

http://tv.msn.com/paralleluniverse/2012-comic-con/game-of-thrones/story/?ocid=ansent11

Of the new characters, Martin joked...

"Clearly I have to start killing some of these characters to make room for the new ones," Martin joked, noting that the HBO show already had one of the biggest casts on television.

And in other GRRM news...

1...Martin has sold his Super Hero's Anthology rights to SyFi Films which is a division of NBC Universal started in 2010.

http://www.thewrap.com/deal-central/column-post/game-thrones-author-sells-superhero-movie-32283

Well, if its going to be a series on NBC we can pretty much cut out any Nudity in this one...

2...Have you ever wanted to sit on the Iron Throne, to prove to your spouse, neighbor and friends that you are the master of your house? Well, now you can own a replica of the Iron Throne for a mere $30,000 plus $1,800 shipping and handling. Weight is 350 pounds and does not include a cushion...

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/game-thrones-iron-throne-can-be-yours-30k-42816

The no cushion is a deal breaker for me. I mean, you got to know where to draw the line, right?

Keep the updates coming folks...

Only 9 months to go...

Last edited:

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
THIS JUST IN FROM THE EMMY's...

AGOT has been nominated as best Drama. I thought it was a miniseries....

Peter Dinkage was nominated once again as best supporting male for AGOT.

A series like this is very hard to get a character nominated for best actress or actor roles I would think.

I am surprised the actor playing Davos didn't get nominated along with Peter Dinkage, or the actress playing Sansa...

Oh well we have a few more seasons to get them nominated...

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
What up, GoT peeps? Thoth, you hanging in there? I'm already craving more.

I did read this snippet and wonder....

Maureen Ryan of the Huffington Post has discovered, in the course of an interview, that English actor Dominic West—perhaps best known for his role as McNulty in the critically acclaimed The Wire, and currently heading up the BBC’s The Hour—was offered a part on HBO’s Game of Thrones... a part which he passed up because, apparently, it involved being in Iceland for six months (or so he recalls—in fact, the production will be there for about six weeks) and that it was a prominent role.

Ryan speculates a number of possibilities, but we think her first guess—that he was offered the part of Mance Rayder, the former ranger of the Night’s Watch who has proclaimed himself King beyond the Wall—is pretty much spot on. West would have been fairly perfect for the part, it must be said, but it seems that’s not meant to be. As we know from recent remarks, the role of Mance Rayder was still in casting just two weeks ago.

LINK

We need our Mance!

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Since the summer is slow with news from AGOT's, I though I would give a little update about Martin. So, what does GRRM, a life long Democrat think of Republicans?

On his blog, Martin does not often get political. But recently, he has come out swinging at the Republicans and the Tea Baggers in certain states for, "Voter Suppression." Here's the link from Huff Post Books...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/13/game-of-thrones-author-republicans_n_1773283.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing11%7Cdl14%7Csec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D192136

Here is the link to his livejournal site...

http://grrm.livejournal.com/287215.html

If you read the replies to his post, Martin responds to some of the comments, more so than normal. The only thing I can see he has not refuted was any statements about Acorn during the 2008 elections.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I might also add, to anyone going to Chicon, Aug 30th to Sept 3rd. Martin will be there so pay attention to his panel, take notes, and report back...

That is an order...