Rejectomancy

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
69 days to the "We liked this one a lot, but in the final analysis we receive far more good stories than we have space to publish and have to make some tough choices between the stories we really like and the stories we absolutely love." form from Stupefying.

1. It's a form, as you say. I've received many iterations of this statement, some verbatim to what you quote.

2. It's probably also honest and true in what it says, which says nothing about the quality of your story.

3. After a long series of tries, I still don't have Clue No. 1 how you get past this point in submissions.

caw

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
And here comes a 117-day form R from Kaleidotrope.

Looks like I'm getting a bunch of dead crickets for Father's Day.

Sorry about the dead crickets, Alex, but I've no doubt you'll find good homes for them both, eventually. And Happy Father's Day to you, too.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the dead crickets, Alex, but I've no doubt you'll find good homes for them both, eventually. And Happy Father's Day to you, too.

Thank you, Suzanne! And good news weren't far behind (heading over to Braggage thread next) :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
1. It's a form, as you say. I've received many iterations of this statement, some verbatim to what you quote.

Yeah I know it's form, I got it from them before ;) I really can't complain they didn't take it though -- they seem to buy every OTHER story I submit to them. (2 for 4 so far). Guess it means they'll take the next one? :)

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
50 day personal from Stup stories. I don't think I'll get a nicer R. "Exceptionally well written", made the final round, "your work is always welcome here." Even though it's an R, I'm rather happy - I really feel that this market get me. :)

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
6 day R from Apex. I'll get to collect my first R from Nightmare Magazine here in the next 24 hours or so, as a result. :)

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Lightspeed 2-day R. Now that I put a healthy portion of my earliest stories to rest, I've been getting longer, more satisfying crickets. You know, except from Lightspeed and Clarkesworld.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
50 day personal from Stup stories. I don't think I'll get a nicer R. "Exceptionally well written", made the final round, "your work is always welcome here." Even though it's an R, I'm rather happy - I really feel that this market get me. :)

A rejection - but a nice one!

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Think I might have just received a higher tier from Apex. It was from Lynne Thomas herself and was unlike any R I've had before from them. Used the word "resonate." As in: "it didn't resonate with me."

Last edited:

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Think I might have just received a higher tier from Apex. It was from Lynne Thomas herself and was unlike and R I've had before. Used the word "resonate." As in: "it didn't resonate with me."

Sorry about the R, but it's a good sign that your story made it all the way to the editor.

Dee Pratt

Registered
Reaction score
Think I might have just received a higher tier from Apex. It was from Lynne Thomas herself and was unlike any R I've had before from them. Used the word "resonate." As in: "it didn't resonate with me."

That's really exciting! I noticed someone in another thread got an email that a story had been forwarded to Lynne Thomas. Out of curiosity, did you get an email like that? I'm just wondering if that was just a particular slushie or if that's the norm.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
That's really exciting! I noticed someone in another thread got an email that a story had been forwarded to Lynne Thomas. Out of curiosity, did you get an email like that? I'm just wondering if that was just a particular slushie or if that's the norm.

I've gotten an R from Lynne Thomas before, but there was no note to indicate it had been passed up the food chain before I got the rejection.

Also, the R I've been anticipating from BCS came in today for "Damsel" at 38 days out. Another one I have to ponder whether to retool before it's subbed elsewhere.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Curiouser and curiouser. I've gotten a 42-day and a 37-day rejection from them, during their modern period when 2-20 was common. And each one came from a slushy. I guess there truly is no method to the madness of being held longer. Just the luck of a quick reader versus one hung up, or a story forgotten.

Last edited: