• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Can the energy in a wave (energy type) destroy solid objects?

Mutive

Blissfully Clueless
Registered
Reaction score
Different types of waves travel differently through different types of media (and are absorbed differently). I'd be surprised to find a wave that wasn't absorbed at all in travel, but echoing those above, you could definitely have a wave travel through one substance without losing much energy/impacting it much, just to hit another and react.

I'd also particularly echo the post above with transverse vs. longitudinal. (From what I can recall, this is more or less how lasers work...they're fairly harmless until they hit something with the right frequency to cause the energy to be set off.)