the first ship has sailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertbevan

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
so last night i had a couple of beers and decided to kick my baby bird out of the nest.

formatting the book properly was kind of a bitch because i'm using a korean version of microsoft word, and i don't know what any of the buttons mean. but i managed it in the end.

about ten minutes after i published it, i'd already gotten two downloads of the free sample, and i got pretty excited about that. then i went to bed. waking up this morning, i still only had those same two downloads, so i guess my excitement may have been premature.

or so i thought...

a couple of minutes ago, i made my first sale. woo hoo!

Celeste Carrara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.celestecarrara.com
Congrats Rob! That's great news. I have to say I admire you. I would never have been able to figure out the formatting using a Korean version of Microsoft! I couldn't even do it with the U.S. Microsoft :roll:

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats. May you have fair winds and following seas!
(Will you be posting a link?)

robertbevan

Registered
Reaction score
thanks a bunch everyone. for the congrats, of course, as well as for keeping these forums going. AW made a huge difference.

robertbevan

Registered
Reaction score
Enjoy and congrats!!! Are you working on writing the next book yet?;)

thanks everyone.

i'm five pages into my next book, but i wrote those a couple of weeks ago. right now, i'm trying to figure out stuff like hyperlinks and signatures and the like.

and i've still got some beta work to do for my beta who struggled through each of my misplaced commas, POV mistakes, and awkward sentences.

Rob Lopez

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Two sales already? You're burning up!:)

Congratulations and good luck on your next piece. Keep us posted on your progress.

CDancourt

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations (for both the sales and mastering korean)... Keep us posted!

robertbevan

Registered
Reaction score
thank you everyone! it's now on amazon as well.

Congratulations (for both the sales and mastering korean)... Keep us posted!

hahahahahhahahhaahahaha! my korean blows. i spent that time rifling through the dictionary looking for words like "paragraph".

and when i couldn't find what i was looking for, i went and looked up the shortcut in english. i learned some new things though. ctrl + enter = page break.

LostInWonderland

We're all mad here.
Registered
Reaction score
formatting the book properly was kind of a bitch because i'm using a korean version of microsoft word, and i don't know what any of the buttons mean. but i managed it in the end.

Are you using the 2010 version of MS Word (Office) by any chance? I happened to notice that Microsoft offers free language packs to download, which will add English tooltips to your buttons. You can check it out here, it may help you: Office Language Packs

I'm new to MS Word, used MS Works for years, and I still don't know what half the buttons do! :D

Sorry for going slightly OT, and congrats on your book! :)

robertbevan

Registered
Reaction score
small update...

i've just sold my third copy on smashwords, and i've sold two copies on amazon, one in the states, and one in the uk. i'm pretty sure most of my sales so far are from people i know. that's kind of a bummer. but hey, i'm glad somebody's reading it.

eleven people have downloaded the free sample on smashwords. i don't know how to get the equivalent data on amazon.

as far as marketing goes, i'm a member of a few really big gamer forums. all i've been doing on there is posting messages (not about my book), and responding to other people's messages, and having links in my sig just like i do here. just doing my best to make myself visible, and the sort of guy whose links you'd be interested in clicking on.

Katallina

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kathyanncoleman.blogspot.com
Congrats on getting your book out there. I checked out your sample, and as someone who spend years doing various types of tabletop role playing games, I definitely think it's funny.

Now that it's on Amazon, I'll have to hop over and snap it up. I didn't want to start another book (been being stubborn with Moon Dance edits) and I don't have my card on SmashWords so I was waiting, but if it's on Amazon (and now that I did get two more chapters edited) I can't resist. :)

Anyway, so glad you've got everything set up now. As for how you are doing stuff on the gaming forums, that's definitely the way to go about it. :) Good luck!

robertbevan

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on getting your book out there. I checked out your sample, and as someone who spend years doing various types of tabletop role playing games, I definitely think it's funny.

Now that it's on Amazon, I'll have to hop over and snap it up. I didn't want to start another book (been being stubborn with Moon Dance edits) and I don't have my card on SmashWords so I was waiting, but if it's on Amazon (and now that I did get two more chapters edited) I can't resist. :)

thanks a bunch. i'm glad you've enjoyed what you've read so far. i hope you like the rest of it. let me know what you think.

Anyway, so glad you've got everything set up now. As for how you are doing stuff on the gaming forums, that's definitely the way to go about it. :) Good luck!

more thanks for this. i was actually going to ask if i was going about things the right way, so i'm glad you brought it up.

alpaca

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome, congratulations!

I started reading the sample and I really like it. As a fellow D&D (and other d20 based games) player, I'm intrigued!

Marceline

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats and good luck! I just downloaded the sample of your book off Amazon. :)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Congrats Rob! That's great news. I have to say I admire you. I would never have been able to figure out the formatting using a Korean version of Microsoft! I couldn't even do it with the U.S. Microsoft :roll:

Ditto, in spades.

Congrats, Rob. I doff my fedora to your courage and insight.

tri

Status
Not open for further replies.