New from OH

Status
Not open for further replies.

autumnjoy

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here, in my mid 30's, and working on a novel. It's the first time I have been really intent on finishing a rough draft.

I used to read and write constantly from the time I was a child, up to about my teen years. Not long ago, I was looking through some things at my Mom's house, and found my first "book". I was a huge Peanuts (comic strip) fan, and Snoopy was my hero, lol. He would sit on his doghouse with the typewriter and try to write a publishable story. One of his stories was about a skating couple, Chill Blaine and Dutch Waltz (lol). I picked up on that idea and wrote my own short story based on that. I even illustrated it and stapled the pages together. It was quite amusing for me to see it again after all those years. I wish I had dated it, but I'm sure it was written when I was in first grade or second grade.

In my adult life I got away from writing and even reading fiction, to some extent. But now I am back, and hoping to just get a rough draft completed, at least 80,000 words. I'm up to about 18,000 now and have been writing for a week and a half. This story is more in the paranormal romance genre.

I first had the idea a little over a year ago and started to write, but quickly became frustrated and gave up. The things that tripped me up the most were that I didn't know how to structure a novel, and I didn't know not to edit as I went. So I would go back and edit and get so tangled up in it that I never went any further. Now I know to mostly just keep pushing forward without going back and trying to perfect things before the story is finished.

I have learned a lot by reading here on the forums. I have also read some books that taught me how to set up a novel, and that made me feel more sure about what I was doing. I'm having all the usual frustrations, difficulties, challenges and joys that I'm sure most other writers experience. I would love to be published, as most writers probably do, but I have a lot to do until I have a publishable book. I'm learning as I go. And if I never get published, at least I will have actually written a novel.

I will probably post some questions from time to time. Nice meeting everyone! :)

C A Winters

Never say "I can't."
Registered
Reaction score
Hi there! Let me be the first to welcom you to AW. Glad you've enjoyed our forums as a lurker, and decided to join up. Look around, and yes, ask any questions you may have, in the forum that fits the query. There are many talented people around here that will be glad to help you.

Again, welcome! :Sun:

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings and :welcome:

Always glad to meet another Peanuts fan :snoopy:

ajkjd01

I just have to be faster.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.addiejking.wordpress.com
From one Ohioan to another...Welcome!

What part of Ohio are you in? If you're anywhere close to Dayton, PM me...we've got lots of writing related events coming up soon!

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: From another Ohioan.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. I'm not from OH but I got drunk in OH a few times.

Richard

Kaylee

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I am a newbire too, welcome---good luck with your writing.

'Life is what happens, when you're busy making other plans.' The late great John Lennon

MagicMan

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to read this post http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8754

Good luck on your novel. If this is your first novel, outline it now. (Brief for this one, future outlines will have more meat.) Then write the novel keeping the outline in mind, but don't fret if you deviate. Even your ending may be way off the outline. Do not edit until your done, or you may never finish.

Keep that rekindled love for writing alive and exciting!

Smiles
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.