What Competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KelseyF

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently working on the proposal for a NF piece I am writing, and have run into a little snag. Hopefully, you can help me.

I'll use a book that already exists as my example, since the answer for that will apply to mine as well. Let's say I am writing a book that explains all the mythology in the Harry Potter series (it's a book that, on every page, has an entry like "Kings Cross Station" then goes on to describe that J.K. Rowling's parents met at this station so it is very important to her, and then the role the station plays in the novels (the book also describes, ya know, more mythological stuff....the Kings Cross one just happened to be on the page I turned to when I was looking through it). The basis for it is for Harry Potter fans better understand the books. I guess.

Anyways, if I am writing this Harry Potter book.... in the proposal when I am discussing similar books on the market, would you recommend that I focus more on mythology books that are out there, or should I only mention other Harry Potter books that are out there. Since it is more likely that a fan of Harry Potter would pick up the book and purchase it, I would say the other Harry Potter books, but I am not 100% confident in this, hence my asking it.

Thanks for any advice you can have, and once again, sorry for all the questions. I hope I explained myself and my situation enough.

K~

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I think you'd compare it to other books which look behind the scenes of cultural phenomena. There's books examining The Lord Of The Rings, Impressionism and (probably) every season of Survivor.

I think you could also certainly reference the other Potter-related books out there but make sure you indicate how yours differs.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Eraser is right on--there are lots and lots of books about the Harry Potter cultural phenomon, too, so make sure you've done due diligence for these and clearly differentiate yours from what else is out there. The market for this kind of book is very crowded, but HP fans are so rabid that you may well find a buyer, if your book offers something different from the rest of the pack. Good luck!

KelseyF

Registered
Reaction score
My book isn't about Harry Potter, it is just on the same lines as the book I mentioned. Thank you so much for answering my question, it has made my life much easier when it comes to writing the proposal.

Thank you again, and if anyone else has anything to add, please, please do...

Status
Not open for further replies.