• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Andrea Hurst & Associates Literary Management

AussieBilly

Beach sand in his ear ...
Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection on the partial she requested as well - not a true "form" letter, as she made specific mention of a couple of things in the pages she got. She was very complimentary of the writing, but said first novels are a hard sell - particularly for a new agency.

Ironically, the same batch of email contained a request for a partial from Andrea Hurst. I wonder if it's an omen.

Ain't life funny? And as Dutch Henry said, we all live in our own worlds filled with omens, gut feelings, and signs. Seems to me, if Ms Verna is looking forward to the hard slog of getting a new agency up and running, one would be ahead of the game to get a positive contact with a tried and true agent such as Ms Hurst. So, good on you, Garmani ... and the best of luck!

Now it's time for me to return to crime ... I'm about 45,000 words into a story involving a mix of drug dealers, real estate developers and honor killings. Ain't writing fun?

Beware_of_Italics

Different from the rest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stuffandnonsense-auntkristin.blogspot.com
I queried Andrea Hurst on May 5th. I haven't heard back from her, but it doesn't say on her site that she only responds if interested. Is it possible my email was just lost? (But my email does show that it sent).

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

Garmani

Registered
Reaction score
I've had them get lost in cyberspace. I belong to another service (Querytracker) and will often re-query an agent if the database there shows a strong record of responses and most of them within the time frame of my submission.

Can't hurt to re-send. The worst she can do is reject you.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Andrea Hurst on May 5th. I haven't heard back from her, but it doesn't say on her site that she only responds if interested. Is it possible my email was just lost? (But my email does show that it sent).

I would guess that it was lost. I queried her on July 7th and got a rejecton on July 17th.

AussieBilly

Beach sand in his ear ...
Registered
Reaction score
a non-response could be seen as a gentle rejection

Don't wanting to rain an anybody's parade, but ... we'd all be happy as Larry if every agent wrote a brief 'why and how come' with the rejection. Never happens. In my searching for just that right person to work with (almost anyone who will accept my work will do) I've learned not to trust queried agents to always respond. Here is something to keep in mind ... you and I think it only polite to respond but we don't have an agent's workload, do we. So if there is no response, get past it and send out more queries.

A year or so ago I read this from an agent's blog ... something to keep in mind.
20,800 (Estimated number of queries read in 2007)
54 (Number of full manuscripts requested and read)
8 (Number of new clients taken on this year)
21 (Number of books sold this year—not counting subsidiary rights stuff)
6 (Number of projects currently under submission)

the secret is not to get discouraged ... not to stop sending out queries ... and most importantly, not to stop writing.

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
A year or so ago I read this from an agent's blog ... something to keep in mind.
20,800 (Estimated number of queries read in 2007)
54 (Number of full manuscripts requested and read)
8 (Number of new clients taken on this year)
21 (Number of books sold this year—not counting subsidiary rights stuff)
6 (Number of projects currently under submission)

Wow. That's a helluva workload!

Since we're on Andrea Hurst's thread, I thought I'd let you know all of my dealings with this agency so far have been prompt and professional. Top notch. If anything comes of it, I'll let you know. :)

Beware_of_Italics

Different from the rest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stuffandnonsense-auntkristin.blogspot.com
Don't wanting to rain an anybody's parade, but ... we'd all be happy as Larry if every agent wrote a brief 'why and how come' with the rejection. Never happens.

Oh, no. I've never thought that. :tongue What I was getting at is that a lot of agencies will state on their website their response time. Others mention that they only respond if interested.

I've had full requests that ended in form rejection letters, so I never really expect personalized rejections. (Not that those don't exist, of course).

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
Andrea Hurst offered me representation, but I had another simultaneous offer from an agent stronger in my genre. BUT... had I not received the other offer, I would have taken Andrea's in a heartbeat. Throughout the whole process, she was professional, punctual, and polite. You can't go wrong with her agency. I was also in contact with a new agent she is training -- Katie Reed. Again, I was treated very, very well, and I have no doubt Katie will be a huge success.

Dara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.capriciousquills.com
A few months ago I queried Andrea Hurst, received a request for a partial, then a request for a full, then a rejection. She was perfectly polite.

A few weeks ago I queried again with a different novel and got a quick reject within a week or so. Again polite and prompt.

writehereinOhio

Registered
Reaction score
Website
amy-thewriterscloset.blogspot.com
I queried Judy Mikalonis at Andrea Hurst back in Nov. On their web site it says something like, "if we're interested in seeing more, we'll contact you." I guess I should take her non-response as a rejection, but would be okay for me to send a follow up email to check for sure? I'm always afraid of irritating the agents.

harriet47

journo turned novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
harrietschultz.blogspot.com
Amberly Finarelli @ Andrea Hurst

I queried Amerbly Finarelli at Andrea Hurst's agency and two weeks later she requested a partial, synopsis and author bio. Her name hasn't come up anywhere in this thread. Does anyone know anything about her? Thanks.

HippieGirl

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Verna Dreisbach today and immediately received a response for the first 5 pages pasted into the email. She appeared quite lovely. But I haven't heard back and it's been a few hours. I'm hoping she's just busy:)

BTW - Her sig line had nothing to do with Andrea Hurst.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
It says on Agent Query that Judy Mikolonis only accepts queries from established writers(3 or more book). Is this true? It doesn't say so on the website. I queried her a few days ago, but it says she will ignore all unsolicited queries. It doesn't say anything on their personal website about this.

Should I query another agent there?

Lccorp2

How are you gentlemen?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lccorp2.livejournal.com
Fifty pages partial request from Andrew Perez. Genre, humorous fantasy--which he apparently is looking out for.

Quick response time; query to partial took two days.

PastMidnight

Oponionated
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jabrockmole.com
Anyone have any updates on Drew Perez's response time on requested material? He requested and I sent a partial at the beginning of September, but I haven't heard anything. Sent a status query at the 12-week mark. Nothing.

Tenacious

Registered
Reaction score
Requested partial

Queried Andrea 3/6 (a Saturday). Got an immediate reply to snail mail 50 pages to Rob Daniel. Monday, before I had mailed the 50, Mr Daniel emailed to say "not for us". I emailed Andrea. She said she'd forward my email to Mr Daniel. A bit confused I emailed him to ask should I still mail the pages. No reply so I just mailed them anyway. Here's hoping!

Tenacious

Registered
Reaction score
Bad experience with this agency

I got turned down, but see for yourself:

Dear Andrea and Rob,
I sent Andrea a query and got an immediate and enthusiastic response to send Rob fifty pages. The next day he emailed saying my novel wasn't right for "us". Confused, I emailed Andrea for clarification. She said she'd forward the email to Rob. Uncertain whether to go ahead and mail the fifty pages I emailed Rob for clarification. He didn't respond quickly, which he had done before, so I mailed the fifty pages. Now (presumably before the fifty pages have arrived) Rob has emailed to repeat that it's not right. I'm disappointed, of course, since Andrea said she was very interested, but also feel shabbily treated. I had read that your agency is top notch. Not so for me. Surely you could show a more cohesive front than this?
So we're clear; no need to reply.

Disappointed,

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the new agent Rob Daniel?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have an sales for Drew Perez? Or heck, fiction sales in general for the agency? It looks like everyone takes fiction, but the "Our Books" section only shows non-fiction. I'm wondering if they haven't managed to sell any fiction, or if they just don't have it listed.

JJPie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Hillary. I actually had to resend mine a few weeks ago and now haven't heard back again.

KAP

Hangin' with the gargies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keithpyeatt.com
I went through the query to partial to full process with Rob Daniel. He'd had my full 3 weeks when I got a note from his email address but signed Andrea Hurst. It was a form response sent, I suppose, to anyone with ongoing correspondence with Rob.

Agent Rob Daniel is no longer with the Andrea Hurst Literary Agency. Please forward your query or correspondence to the appropriate agent at www.andreahurst.com.
Thank you,
Andrea Hurst
President - Andrea Hurst Literary Management

That email was sent Sunday night, 6/27. On the website, Rob Daniel and Drew Perez had been removed.

kap

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I went through the query to partial to full process with Rob Daniel. He'd had my full 3 weeks when I got a note from his email address but signed Andrea Hurst. It was a form response sent, I suppose, to anyone with ongoing correspondence with Rob.

That email was sent Sunday night, 6/27. On the website, Rob Daniel and Drew Perez had been removed.

kap

Now, that's interesting. I too recently went thru the query to partial to full stage with him, phone calls, emails, etc., very close to offering me rep, then quite suddenly they pulled out. Andrea gave me a nice personal referral, though (still waiting to hear from the referred agent).