Italics?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Question about formatting a submission. I know from studying ancient history that when I use a Latin word I am required to have it in italics. But does the same apply to fiction? I currently reading a Roman HF that places Latin terms in italics, but others don't. So, in my first chapter I use the term mansio (a bit like a inn, but used only by people on imperial business) or should I italicise it to mansio?

Is there a rule about this, or just a house-style?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I would italicize "mansio" just because it could easily be mistaken for a typo for mansion. The auto-correct on my computer (which I haven't been able to deactivate for internet use, although it's off for regular writing) just tried to prevent me from typing it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Deleted member 42

Question about formatting a submission. I know from studying ancient history that when I use a Latin word I am required to have it in italics. But does the same apply to fiction? I currently reading a Roman HF that places Latin terms in italics, but others don't. So, in my first chapter I use the term mansio (a bit like a inn, but used only by people on imperial business) or should I italicise it to mansio?

Is there a rule about this, or just a house-style?

In this case, it's house style. I would do two things:

1. Be consistent; do it every time if you italicize or underline (some houses still request underlining, but you can change italics to underlining at submission).

2. Keep a list of every "special" word you use—so Latin words like mansio, place names, and the names of characters (even though you wouldn't italicize them), for instance. Your editor will bless you later because it avoids having mansio changed by a proofer to mansion, for instance, and if they decide to italicize just once, or never, or create a glossary or a map, etc. it makes their job much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Medievalist. Save it for unfamilar foreign terms. I think the main thing italics does in this case is tell the reader "dont worry if you dont recognize this word. Youre not supposed to". If I saw an odd foreign word unitalicized I'd feel like the author was assuming I know what it means, and that might make me feel a little lost.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Look for guidelines. If what you send an agent is also going out to a publisher, check that publisher's guidelines. I have some that want italics, and others that still want underlining because they believe actual italics are easy to miss.