Synopsis Style

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
To make it easier on the eye I've written the synopsis for my latest novel in bullet form. I thought it flows better. The language is very concise. I figured busy agents would find it easier and faster to digest what my story is all about.

I read in a couple of agent blogs, however, that voice is what they're looking for in a synopsis. An engaging voice will hook them more than the barebones outline of a plot. Now I'm debating whether to re-cast my synopsis in more narrative form.

I'd be interested in knowing others' views on this, particularly those who have snagged agents.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on what the agent wants. Some want a brief overview, some want a detailed chapter-by-chapter. (Didn't know this myself until the last couple of days.) If an agent requests a synopsis, ask them which the prefer.

It definitely needs to be in voice whichever kind they want. That synopsis is like a writing sample for them to get a taste of your story-telling style.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Short answer is it depends. You might want to look at How to Write a Synopsis (
multipage.gif
1 2).

Normally the primary purpose of a synopsis is to see whether there are any plot holes. For that purpose, you're correct and a bullet format would be fine. And it is usually hard to get a lot of voice into a synopsis. However, agents are always looking at your voice. A bullet format would have none, probably.

Although I usually go through a bullet format is writing a synopsis, personally I'd go to the next step and put it into narrative form.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Narrative form is my vote. Bullet points might be good for non-fiction but I haven't heard of it for fiction.