I do believe in expectations :D

Expectation--Want--Or Need

• Expectation: How dare you?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Expecation: That's fine to have them.

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Want: Who are you to want anything from anyone?

• Want: Nothing wrong here, everyone has wants.

• Need: bad bad...never need anything from anyone

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Need: again nothing wrong here, we all have them.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but back in the day, we didn't have all of these Look At Me online options to lure potential mates.

We went out to dinner or a movie or both without ever once showing off our opposable thumbs dexterity while texting.

And we still got laid. Without a cell phone nearby. Or the Internet. Imagine that. They didn't even exist back then.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
The thing with wanting certain stuff from folks is that you're still wanting something from them. So it is best if they can avoid it if they want to.

Except that there are levels that either get needy, or the other person is being a jerk. The Ex I mentioned above? Also didn't want to read anything I wrote, didn't want to go out anywhere anymore, and refused to ever bring me a cup of coffee. Or cook dinner. Or clean up. You see where this is going, I presume.

He was really mad that I didn't like playing video games.

It's all very personal, but yes you are allowed to have wants. And no you shouldn't too often, at the same time ;)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I don't know. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but back in the day, we didn't have all of these Look At Me online options to lure potential mates.

We went out to dinner or a movie or both without ever once showing off our opposable thumbs dexterity while texting.

And we still got laid. Without a cell phone nearby. Or the Internet. Imagine that. They didn't even exist back then.
I'm not sure what you are saying, sweets. All I know is, I ask for very little. If all he's interested in is a quick shag (which he harps on and yeah, he's NOT getting it, EVER now) then he can find someone else. I'd like someone to know my mind too.

The thing with wanting certain stuff from folks is that you're still wanting something from them. So it is best if they can avoid it if they want to.

Except that there are levels that either get needy, or the other person is being a jerk. The Ex I mentioned above? Also didn't want to read anything I wrote, didn't want to go out anywhere anymore, and refused to ever bring me a cup of coffee. Or cook dinner. Or clean up. You see where this is going, I presume.

He was really mad that I didn't like playing video games.

It's all very personal, but yes you are allowed to have wants. And no you shouldn't too often, at the same time ;)
yeah, today, the definition of needy is when you actually ask them to look up from their game or their phone or their tv long enough to realize you exist. :D

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Need = wrong. (a want is the same as need in this situation ,imo)
I disagree with you on this. If we deny that we need things or want things from our friends, family, loved ones...we are going to end up without relationships that are sound and well balanced.

A good relationship is interdependent. There's nothing wrong with my wanting or needing that balance.

:D

And you're still good in my books. ;)

Chloe_Lanai

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm blessed to have a hubby who asks, "Did you make your word count today?"
He doesn't want to read it, but at least he is interested enough to ask about my day.
We get to share on another level too. He does graphic arts, and often takes my characters into a visual form. Even if he doesn't really care to know the whole of their being (he's not a reader) at least he is interested enough to use them for his pursuits. And if he doesn't exactly capture what I had in mind, he's still got a nice bit of character for his own work. We may not see eye to eye on every little thing, but we try to support each other in our own way.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm blessed to have a hubby who asks, "Did you make your word count today?"
He doesn't want to read it, but at least he is interested enough to ask about my day.
We get to share on another level too. He does graphic arts, and often takes my characters into a visual form. Even if he doesn't really care to know the whole of their being (he's not a reader) at least he is interested enough to use them for his pursuits. And if he doesn't exactly capture what I had in mind, he's still got a nice bit of character for his own work. We may not see eye to eye on every little thing, but we try to support each other in our own way.
Yes you are very blessed indeed.

If this man had said to me, "why don't you just tell me about it?" I'd have been happy but our conversations are exclusively about him and if I attempt to discuss my interests he sits and says nothing and after about five minutes changes the subject. We can have great lengthy conversations if I talk about the way to travel from NYC to SLC via motorcycle for the best scenic experience. ;)

Chloe_Lanai

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I think I dated this guy. He couldn't attend any performance of the first play I directed. It always conflicted with his sports viewing schedule. I will give him props for teaching me everything I know about sports, but he never once cared enough to learn a wit about theater. I am, however, still very close to his mother, so win for me. :)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I think I dated this guy. He couldn't attend any performance of the first play I directed. It always conflicted with his sports viewing schedule. I will give him props for teaching me everything I know about sports, but he never once cared enough to learn a wit about theater. I am, however, still very close to his mother, so win for me. :)
LOL. I have my second ex hubby's mother as a friend on FB but not him. :D