Rejectomancy

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Joe: I still haven't heard back from Blink Noir on my sub. Did you query them on yours?

Editor interview @ Write1Sub1 today: Kzine.

Yeah, I did. I'm not all that sure they've contacted anyone yet, judging by the Duotrope info, so I suppose there's still a chance you made it in. Drop them a line, they were very friendly.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
Had a lovely R from Shimmer this morning. They liked the story - they used the words "way cool" which made me way happy - but found the ending frustrating. I had a suspicion that might be the case with this story, and I'm torn between trying it in a few more places or changing it now. Changing it now would alter the story completely, though, and it'd stop being the story I wanted to tell. On the other hand, it would help it sell.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, sorry to hear about the Shimmer R. Definite mixed feelings there!

Nice R from Linger here. I expected that one, after the interview Sam posted. Now to dig up something else to send them.... :)

Last edited:

alohachild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marycmoore.com
Ray Gun Revival

I also received a rather harsh rejection from Ray Gun. There were two comments, one was mean but constructive, the other was just snarky and smug. Won't submit to them again.

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the Rs, peeps :(

Pan, why change it?
I always think that all changing it would do is make it acceptable to a market that I couldn't send it back to.
If you see what I mean.

Aloha. Why not send them more stuff?
Prove them wrong!

I don't think I've ever had a comment that I thought was snarky just for the point of being snarky. But if I did, they would see so much of my terrible prose they would go to sleep and dream of it.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:(

Better than rejections, though.

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't say that!
I was trying to cheer Aggy up :D

But I do know what you mean.
Sometimes I think 'just get on with it!!!!'

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Hah. I sigh because there's a little voice in the back of my head that says "If you were doing this properly there would be a rejection or an acceptance in your email-box EVERY DAY."

I think it's just my inner editor wearing a Groucho mustache and talking with a lisp in an attempt to throw me off. ;)

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:)
No, the editors are thinking about your stories.
It's a good thing.

And I got four rejections over three days at the beginning of the week, and that wass really depressing. Honestly, I wanted my crickets back.
I'm glad the Rs have stopped for the last two days or I'd have gone and cried real tears or something.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought there'd be value in having a submission service where authors hand you their MS and the market they want to send it to, you make sure it's formatted properly (and packaged, if snailmail) send it off, wait for the response, and if it's a rejection send it back to the author with chocolate.

-Suzanne

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That is probably the best idea I have heard in a long time!

Go for it!

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I also received a rather harsh rejection from Ray Gun. There were two comments, one was mean but constructive, the other was just snarky and smug. Won't submit to them again.

They eviscerated a story of mine a couple of months back, actually. I did find both crits constructive, even though one clearly enjoyed his or her job a little too much.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Call is a masochist but I like that kind of rejection far better than form. Friends and beta readers (and even many editors) are WAY too nice with their rejection. I want to know exactly what flaws the slush reader/editor found that caused them to pass on the story, and some truth from experienced readers at a good market is well worth some small bruises to my ego.

I've never subbed to Ray Gun yet, but they are on my radar. At some point I'll have something appropriate and send it to them. For someone who enjoys space opera as much as I do, I sure don't seem to write much of it though :)

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Form rejection from Basement Stories. I've been subbing this story for almost two years now. It's tempting to just retire it, but there are still so many markets out there. I won't be satisfied until I've been rejected by all of them!

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((((Sai))))

I got one today. Linger doesn't love me :(

JC Romel

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Call is a masochist but I like that kind of rejection far better than form. Friends and beta readers (and even many editors) are WAY too nice with their rejection. I want to know exactly what flaws the slush reader/editor found that caused them to pass on the story, and some truth from experienced readers at a good market is well worth some small bruises to my ego.

I've never subbed to Ray Gun yet, but they are on my radar. At some point I'll have something appropriate and send it to them. For someone who enjoys space opera as much as I do, I sure don't seem to write much of it though :)

Yes, I agree. I've brought it up in the past, actually, because I sometimes get discouraged by the fact that even personal rejections don't really give you a clear sense of what went wrong. Yeah, yeah, maybe it "just didn't work" for them, but there has to be something about the story that turned them off, and I really need to know what it is. Ray Gun, for all it's cruelty, at least let me know exactly--and I mean exactly--what they didn't like.

All that said, it still stings, and when it stings, I like to talk about it.

Form rejection from Basement Stories. I've been subbing this story for almost two years now. It's tempting to just retire it, but there are still so many markets out there. I won't be satisfied until I've been rejected by all of them!

My latest acceptance, The Machine, was out for about a year and a half, and really didn't get much encouragement along the way. Actually, I was looking over my old stories, and The Machine was the one I had actually made the decision to rewrite entirely upon it's return from Absent Willow Review (because at this point I expect rejections). Ironically, they accepted it.

So hang in there. Try them all first before you trunk it.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
My latest acceptance, The Machine, was out for about a year and a half, and really didn't get much encouragement along the way. Actually, I was looking over my old stories, and The Machine was the one I had actually made the decision to rewrite entirely upon it's return from Absent Willow Review (because at this point I expect rejections). Ironically, they accepted it.

So hang in there. Try them all first before you trunk it.

Thanks JC Romel, will do :).

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I just received my first ever rejection slip through the post today, from Black Static. I'm weirdly excited about it - this is the first time I've ever attempted to submit something and even though they said no, I feel good for having done it. Disappointed too, obviously, but I had a feeling I was batting above my average. I suppose I should look around for other places to sub to

Lillie

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A proper one?
On paper?

Wow!!!!

Treasure it.

And good luck subbing elsewhere :)

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
I love my paper rejection slips. They make the whole process feel much more real than an inbox full of 'No'. That's why I mostly sub to the dead-tree variety of publication as well. (Not that I have any problem with the e-pubs; most of my sales have been to that kind. It just feels more real to me if I can touch it.)