population of AW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use Firefox and keep open tabs to a maximum of three. Doesn't it slow things down if you keep a whole lot open?

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
I use Firefox too and it only seems to make a difference to the speed if I'm looking at a page with lots of pictures/other media... having multiple open tabs showing AW doesn't seem to do very much to the speed.
Or maybe I don't notice a slight slowdown because I'm reading? :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whether open tabs slow down the whole connection depends on whether the content in the open tabs is static or changes.

If you have streaming videos or music open, or an interactive game, yes, they'll slow down everything. If you open a page of AW to read a whole thread, once it's open and all the posts displayed, no more data is gallumphing back and forth, so it won't cause any slowdown.

Think of an internet connection as a tunnel. The tunnel's size is its total bandwidth. With a high-speed connection, it's a big tunnel. Using DSL, it's smaller. For dial-up, it's substantially smaller.

Each window you have open divides your bandwidth tunnel into equally-sized lanes. Each tab within a window divides that window's lane into narrower lanes of equal size. How much traffic--images, text, music, movies, whatever--you can receive and how fast depends entirely on the size of what you're receiving and on how wide the part of the tunnel it's using is.

Text is tiny and can easily speed through a very narrow lane. (This always generates a great cartoon-like mental image for me.) Sound and images are bigger--think of moving a huge painting or statue through a tunnel, or a symphony orchestra or rock band with equipment and roadies, without leaving your lane. Moving images with sound, like movies or games, are even bigger; your lane of the tunnel has to accommodate a theatre-sized screen, plus cast and crew in the hundreds.

So it's not so much the number of tabs you have open that causes slowdowns but the content on those open tabs.

The analogy isn't perfect, but it puts it in a framework that even I, a low-tech person, can understand.

Maryn, who's shared versions of this many times

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Maryn.

First time I've grasped what bandwidth meant!

Deleted member 42

I use Firefox too and it only seems to make a difference to the speed if I'm looking at a page with lots of pictures/other media... having multiple open tabs showing AW doesn't seem to do very much to the speed.
Or maybe I don't notice a slight slowdown because I'm reading? :)

If you have insufficient RAM, the memory inside your computer vs. the hard drive, many tabs, and/or apps open at once will slow you down, even if you're not doing anything with them at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.