I Have An Idea For A Character!!!

• Thread starter Βοανηργες83
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Βοανηργες83

I thought of a concept of a character that has one arrow...ONLY ONE...but with this arrow he has a magical archer's ring that allows him to transverse a battlefield with great speed to the point where the arrow lands. He would be able to slice and dice enemies as the arrow flies through their battalions, but he would be limited because he wouldn't have time to nock the arrow to the bowstring at times in a battle. What do you think? :)

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Technically, this is not a character. It's a gadget that could be used by any number of characters, each with his or her own foibles and strengths, likes and dislikes. Those are the things that determine character.

As a gadget, it has some possibilities. Not only would it be useful for moving around a battlefield, but it could be used for entering an enemy encampment or stronghold, climbing trees or cliffs, or traveling long distances in a very short time.

I can see why there would be only one magic arrow, but surely, the bearer would have other, mundane arrows as well.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
True, this is less a character with goals and wants and relationships than a two-legged support system for a Special Magic Device--which a bunch of other characters are going to WANT.

Why use it on a battlefield when you can send messages at supernatural speeds from one country to the next?

Were I a ruler I can better maintain control by knowing what's going on at the borders. Having a cool thing like that distributed to trusted messengers would be invaluable! (Yo, your royalness, the Googlie-Ooglies are attacking the north border, send help ASAP--and while you're at it, we're short on beef jerky, bandaging, and t.p.)

It's not enough to have a cool Special Magic Device, you have to anticipate its impact on the rest of the world. If there's only one, that impact is going to be pretty dire to the person possessing it. (Think how well things went for Frodo with that Ring!)

If there's a lot of them, then the world changes to reflect its use. When Gutenberg came up with movable type printing things went nuts. Suddenly everyone is reading! Certainly it must have seemed a miracle to the non-tech types. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRBIVRwvUeE

There's always going to be a screaming need for faster communications--heck, we're on one such Special Magic Device right now, the result of 100's of years of development from smoke signals to satellite signals.

The one you describe would be on the want list of any hot shot, good or bad, faster than you can say "Can you hear me now?"

Here's some VERY helpful books to swot up on the impact of tech on society. They're fun, easy reads, fascinating--and not a little scary! They'll be free at the library and reading them will absolutely help your world-building!

Connections by James Burke (originally a TV series)

The Day the Universe Changed by James Burke (Also a TV show.)

Good luck!

Last edited:

Βοανηργες83

Technically, this is not a character. It's a gadget that could be used by any number of characters, each with his or her own foibles and strengths, likes and dislikes. Those are the things that determine character.

As a gadget, it has some possibilities. Not only would it be useful for moving around a battlefield, but it could be used for entering an enemy encampment or stronghold, climbing trees or cliffs, or traveling long distances in a very short time.

I can see why there would be only one magic arrow, but surely, the bearer would have other, mundane arrows as well.

Exsqueeze me guys...you're right...NOT A CHARACTER. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.