Purgatory's Pit of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
It's good to read it to see what all the hype is about. I haven't read it yet, but the reviews are pretty good, and aren't they making it into a movie?

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I think they are! Yeah, it's like the Twilight stuff - I feel like I have to know about it so I can understand my community a little better, which shows just how desperate that game is getting. (Interestingly, the author apparently wrote Twilight fanfic - yeah, I'm sure you all knew about that already...)

I should write the treatment for my vampire comedy one of these days. Yes, a Shaun Of The Dead-esque hosing of Twilight is due. ;) Right now I'm focused on the R-rated LGBT comedy, and a couple other things that I hope will get finished before I drop dead. :( I don't know why - I suck at comedy, but now all these concepts are invading my head from both sides.

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
It's "50 Shades of Grey". Just read chapter one, I'm not crazy about the love interest. :rolleyes: :tongue
I was going to read it.... until J3nif3r @rm!ntr0ut started to review it. Now I don't think I will have the strength. J3n's to chapter 13 and so far her recap has been nothing but ridicule. The guy's a dick and the girl hates everything and is using her "best friend" for cheap rent. Classy.

mario_c

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Hee hee. I can tell it's gonna be one of those ongoing reads, like "Dune" or "Satanic Verses", that I always want to finish but it turns into an uphill struggle...

To misquote Denis Leary, I have three words for EL White: 9 1/2 Weeks. (a favorite VHS of a college squeeze and her girlfriends :))

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to read it.... until J3nif3r @rm!ntr0ut started to review it. Now I don't think I will have the strength. J3n's to chapter 13 and so far her recap has been nothing but ridicule.

I'm surprised she would do that. We're all entitled to our own opinions, but they are peers and she's been subjected to similar reviews and criticism.

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score
There are two authors with the same name, except for a one letter difference. One has an e, and one has an i. Apparently, the innocent one is getting bashed on G00dR3ads and people are deleting her books. I think she writes YA.

Is her peer the one that is actually doing the chapter-by-chapter? Or is it the other one?

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I try to read the most popular books to keep up, and with kids' books I usually enjoy them, but I read the first 2 chaps of fsofg on amazon and that was enough for me.

Eta Mario, I'm pretending I didn't read what you said about Dune -that's one of my favorite books :)

Last edited:

mario_c

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Snerk. There's good stuff in the story and mythology, I just find it all exhausting.
I'll make an effort one Sunday night - Echoes/Hearts Of Space and "Dune". Sounds like a date! *looks at clock, logs off*

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Pit.

Like Amarie, I read the first chapter of FSoG online and my eyes were bleeding just from that. A friend of my friend (L) told L how awesome FSoG was, and L asked me if I knew about it. I told her, based on what I read, the prose in FSoG makes S M3y3r's prose read like Shakespeare. L, who actually enjoyed Tw1l1ght, was appropriately horrified. ;)

I'm having a "why not my crap?" day. Always happens when see I see that the agent lady sold another client's book. Yay for her and client, but when's my turn?

Also, I discovered this morning that supposedly a package was delivered to me on Saturday. Only no one delivered a package. The postal service, however, seems to think they did. Not happy.

Damn, I'm having a pittish Monday.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Yeah, I've seen a couple of my readers devouring the FSoG series and gushing about it. I keep mum.

There are already some funny parodies, though.

Crap or not, I'd love the income, heh.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
(((DVI))) I know that feeling. It's a strange sort of bummer to have your agent sell another book. You want her to do well, and you want to know that she can sell books and that editors trust her taste, and you want your agentmates to succeed, and yet, and yet, and yet...

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Monsoon Monday in NYC. I had to buy new socks. My sneakers are soaked. Luckily, I have dress shoes in the office.

(((Ink)))

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Yeah, it is a strange feeling because there are mixed emotions involved. I had that recently as well. You sort of feel left behind.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Monsoon Monday in NYC. I had to buy new socks. My sneakers are soaked. Luckily, I have dress shoes in the office.

(((Ink)))

Crazy. I always bring an umbrella with me, but wore my regular spring jacket rather than a raincoat because it was only cloudy when I left and NY1 said it was only going to be passing showers. *bullsh-t*

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Morning, Pit.

Like Amarie, I read the first chapter of FSoG online and my eyes were bleeding just from that. A friend of my friend (L) told L how awesome FSoG was, and L asked me if I knew about it. I told her, based on what I read, the prose in FSoG makes S M3y3r's prose read like Shakespeare. L, who actually enjoyed Tw1l1ght, was appropriately horrified. ;)

I'm having a "why not my crap?" day. Always happens when see I see that the agent lady sold another client's book. Yay for her and client, but when's my turn?

Also, I discovered this morning that supposedly a package was delivered to me on Saturday. Only no one delivered a package. The postal service, however, seems to think they did. Not happy.

Damn, I'm having a pittish Monday.

((INK))

I just keep checking my email in case my agent has notes on my revisions. Itching to get back onto sub. It's been over two weeks, which isn't a long time but....but....

Also, my agent apparently loves FSoG........ l.o.l :)

Leigh.Lyons

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised she would do that. We're all entitled to our own opinions, but they are peers and she's been subjected to similar reviews and criticism.

There are two authors with the same name, except for a one letter difference. One has an e, and one has an i. Apparently, the innocent one is getting bashed on G00dR3ads and people are deleting her books. I think she writes YA.

Is her peer the one that is actually doing the chapter-by-chapter? Or is it the other one?
This is the Jen!f3r @rm!ntr0ut that writes urban fantasy, not the YA. She said that she is doing the chapter by chapter because the book filled her with so much rage that had to or she was going to murder something. If you are at all curious about her posts, this one explains why she is doing the play-by-play (which is funny) and this one laying out point by point that @n@ is in an abusive relationship with, like evidence to support her claim (not funny but important to read).

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it is a strange feeling because there are mixed emotions involved. I had that recently as well. You sort of feel left behind.
Exactly.

I'm also getting antsy for my revision notes. I've already gone ahead and started working, but I've reached a point where I need to write some new scenes and I'm reluctant to do that much work without them. Bleh.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, antsy thy name is Snappy. I'm on round three of revisions with my agent. Fingers crossed book 2 will be on sub this week.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
May the force be with you, Snappy.

Ink, how long have you been waiting for those revision notes? Is there something else you can be working on?

Uh, so I just got the news that HMH went under: http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...40-houghton-mifflin-files-for-bankruptcy.html

I'm probably late to the party but...woah. Given all the shit currently going on in Big 6 Land, I mean, it seems like the writing's on the wall. I wonder, then, why I still really really want to be pubbed by a Big 6-er knowing that it doesn't mean what it used to mean...

Last edited:

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Roly. I feel the same way.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score

Gah-someone recently used the example of Kodak going under because they thought they needed to hold onto the business of selling photographs, instead of realizing they were selling images and innovating their way enough to adapt.

HMM held on too long to the thought they could only sell textbooks, when they should have concentrated much earlier on the fact they sell specific information to a specific market. Maybe their deal with Amaz0n will bring them back. I read they had 41% of the textbook market for K-12 but I don't know who holds the rest.

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
HMH filed for bankruptcy but it's the kind where they restructure debt so they pay less money back to creditors. It doesn't mean they are going out of business. (At least not yet!)

mario_c

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
This is the Jen!f3r @rm!ntr0ut that writes urban fantasy, not the YA. She said that she is doing the chapter by chapter because the book filled her with so much rage that had to or she was going to murder something. If you are at all curious about her posts, this one explains why she is doing the play-by-play (which is funny) and this one laying out point by point that @n@ is in an abusive relationship with, like evidence to support her claim (not funny but important to read).
Very interesting points in the second one, for guys to learn about ourselves as well as women to be wary of. Thank you for that.
And I'll have to read her books, not to mention the romantic stuff by the women on this site (they seem to know what they're talking about ;)). Right after I'm done with Dune and The Satanic Verses, that is :D

Last edited:

Catwoman

And your point is...?
Registered
Reaction score

As usual, I'm late to the party. I tend to ignore huge fads while they're happening, and become interested in them once the novelty has faded. So I haven't really been following all the comments and hype concerning FSOG.

What I don't understand is how this book is the stand-out, when there are so many others of its type out there. How did it not get lumped into Erotica, and/or Romance with an Alpha hero? How in the hell did it go mainstream?

If I would have submitted a ms like that, wouldn't the agent Rs have come back saying: Too much like Twilight; Too risque to go mainstream; Try submitting to the Harlequin Presents line (or whatever the Alpha one is); This is Erotica and I don't handle Erotica...etc.

How did this writer break through the ties that bind conservative publishing?????

What I don't like is how all these women are idolizing the MC and thinking he's the perfect man, when he is so clearly abusive. This is what women think is ideal? Really? Are Americans so sexually repressed that this somewhat poorly-written book is getting them hot and bothered over a bit of control and spanking?

And how are they going to make the movie that different from 9 1/2 Weeks? Seems to me they're both about the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.