James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Okay, to thrash another post from another thread.

The thread is: Five irrefutable reasons you need to outline your story before you write it.

(If you're interested in knowing those five irrefutable reasons, they're:

1) Because I said so,
2) Because I said so,
3) Because I said so,
4) Because I said so, and
5) Because I said so.)

Be that as it may. The OP says:

I say this is an insane way to write a book. Why? Because you can develop the story, or at least 95 % of it, BEFORE you write a draft. You can engage in the very same wonderful creative exploration process without spending two months of your life writing a draft. When you become an architect of your story in the form of a blueprint, or a sequential outline and a list of checklist-driven components -- imagine a builder arriving at a job site with the intention of "just start building" with the hope of coming up with a functional design after several tries... even King and Deaver would think this is nuts... -- it all goes faster, it's smoother, it's clearer, and it takes a fraction of the time. And what you end up with is orders of magnitude BETTER than if you just winged it.

Where he goes badly wrong is this:

The novel on the bookstore shelves is not analogous to a finished building ready for occupancy. The novel on the bookstores shelves is the blueprint for the work of art that the reader will construct in his or her head.

Do you know how the architect arrived at the blueprints he's holding the day construction starts?

You do not.

Maybe the architect drew dozens (or hundreds) of sketches. Maybe he built a model. Maybe she fired up the CAD program. Maybe he figured out where the plumbing was going to run and planned outward from that. Maybe she looked at the landscape, considered contrasting siding materials, then worked inward to what kind of structure would be needed to support them. Maybe it came to him in a dream. Maybe the architect spent a week on the plans. Maybe the architect spent a year on them.

You don't know. You don't care. And it doesn't matter what the process was.

At some point in the process you're just going to have to wing it. Even if you're the most detail-oriented obsessive-compulsive in the world and you plan the plan to make your plans ... at some level you're just going to have to make stuff up.

Either that or find a job outside of the creative arts.

Last edited:

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Uncle Jim wrote, Do you know how the architect arrived at the blueprints he's holding the day construction starts?

Actually, I kinda' do having been involved in the process quite a few time, but your analogy is well-taken (and I'm using your index card routine for GATED and finding it is vastly, I mean VASTLY, improving where I am and where I'm going with this book) - the writing's better, the plotting is infinitely better, and the characters are so improved over anything I've ever done before it's just ridiculous. I sit down at the keyboard and pull up the document, check my outline t see where I'm going and I'm off to the races.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
At some point in the process you're just going to have to wing it. Even if you're the most detail-oriented obsessive-compulsive in the world and you plan the plan to make your plans ... at some level you're just going to have to make stuff up.

I agree totally. No argument from me. I work from an outline and make stuff up all day, every day as I write.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wing it because I like to surprise myself as ideas and tangents come to me with prior knowledge of what's been written previous to the point I am in the story. I have a vague idea of things that will happen in the begining the middle and the end. Most if not all the time these idea evolve and change, because of what I've already written.

The only exception to this is my story idea, which doesn't change.

As in the current WIP. Three orphans escape from an oppressive orphanage and find themselves in a broken down magic amusement park.

That is enough info for me to start writing.

First, cause enough problems for the orphans to want to or have to leave the orphanage.

Second, fear of recapture and problems in flight from same.

Third, A twist in the escape that is unpredictable and puts them in a worse spot.

Fourth, more running and problems and trouble and the need to form a plan to get back to square one, save themselves and others because it's good and right, with having achieved some great service or action in a manner that paints them in a great light as seen by the other characters and the reader.

Whew! I hope that all make sense. It does to me.

The moral. Do what works for you. There is no right and wrong, only write.
I like to wing it, I'm not limited by anything but my imagination.

Last edited:

Perle_Rare

Dragon rider
Registered
Reaction score
The thread is: Five irrefutable reasons you need to outline your story before you write it.

(If you're interested in knowing those five irrefutable reasons, they're:

1) Because I said so,
2) Because I said so,
3) Because I said so,
4) Because I said so, and
5) Because I said so.)

*sigh* I wish I had started with an outline. However, I just felt like writing and as I wrote, the main character went off and did a bunch of unexpected things which delighted me so I kept writing.

Problem is, the MC eventually became stagnant and I found myself forced to get her from point A to point B where I thought more fun stuff could happen. And again from point B to point C where even more fun stuff could happen.

As I re-read my manuscript, it became very apparent that the plot doesn't make sense. So now, I'm working on the outline. Then, I'll go back and fix the novel. *sigh*

Thanks Uncle Jim for your words of wisdom. I just wish I'd paid attention sooner...

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
I balk at "outline" (choke, gag, ugh-- leftover from junior high probably) but I can do synopses until forever. So I make my synopsis my outline.

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
To be able to write from an outline. To create an outline. For me, my muse tells me the story as I go along. I learned a long time ago that outlines don't do me any good because as I'm looking at it, I get the "What If. . ." thing in my head and I go off track from the outline.

So what do I do?

I create. I write. I wing it during my writing process as I search for details and information to include.

I know it's highly unorganized and probably a "True Sign of An Amateur."

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I balk at "outline" (choke, gag, ugh-- leftover from junior high probably) but I can do synopses until forever. So I make my synopsis my outline.

You shouldn't make your outline for your novel be one of those insane Roman Numeral things.

Or, you could. If that's what works for you.

An outline is a tool, not a pair of handcuffs.

An outline can be in prose English at novel length and divided into chapters if that's what works for you.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An outline can be in prose English at novel length and divided into chapters if that's what works for you.

That's secrete code for, wing it.
icon10.gif

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
Crepuscular would be a good book title.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
I've done one of those prose things as an outline. Saved my bacon too when I got sick and couldn't write for three years. Talk about putting your work aside to get a fresh look-- eek! But with the synopsis I picked right back up where I left off. Sweet....

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Uncle Jim, That insane Roman numeral thing was the way I was taught to outline and it kept me cuffed for years (decades really). It's so darned rigid and unforgiving, but it's what was required in college (and even high school).

The index card method and even the chapter rough notes method is much more liberating and flexible.

5bcarnies

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorinthedark.blogspot.com
My muse and I write the outline. The outline to me is the plot driven story. The actual writing makes it character driven.

I don't know what the characters will say or what they will do precisely that will trigger the events in the outline. I've planned several times that character A will do one thing for such and such to happen. Then they'll say or do something that will cause a different character to do what I had planned in midtype. I didn't intentionally make it happen. It flowed that way. But if it hadn't had been for the outline I would have lost track of that particular plot.

5bcarnies

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorinthedark.blogspot.com
Uncle Jim, quick question here.

Ways back you mentioned that Courier was the best font to use. I've switched everything from Times New Roman to Courier and I like it a lot. It is very easy to read on my eyes, especially after being on the computer all night.

My question is thus...

I've been reading the 2009 version of Writer's Market and it states to use TNR. Have things changed since you made those earlier posts? Or should I go with the flow and just double check what the agent/publisher lists as their desired font?

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
Uncle Jim, That insane Roman numeral thing was the way I was taught to outline and it kept me cuffed for years (decades really). It's so darned rigid and unforgiving, but it's what was required in college (and even high school).

The index card method and even the chapter rough notes method is much more liberating and flexible.

Some try to put creativity into a formula, and thereby squelch it. I learned a great deal in college. But I also learned that much of what I learned was not practical, and that some of the teachers were theorists who'd never had to make things work in the real world. Because of that they had a certain rigidity and some took self-importance to an absurd level.

It's interesting when we poll published writers, they're split in terms of outline vs. no outline. Of course, my origional draft may not come from an outline- but it in fact is an outline, because none of the origional draft exists within the story. Maybe I'd have had more success if I used an outline. But for me it's late in the game to go back.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
I do not recommend my methods, I want to say that first. I don't outline, or plot. I get an idea, and start writing. Somwhere in the beginning I decide if it's a short story or a novel-length piece. If during the writing I see parts from later in the story, I jot them down in a notebook. My first novel ended up a 53,000 word outline, telling the complete story, and giving me a good first draft to work from. The novel I'm working on now will probably end up the same way. So, that's what I do, and for me, it's the right way. I tried some outlining and plotting in the beginning, but realized that (maybe due to my stubbornness and need to rock the boat) as soon as I decided the path any part of the story would take and plotted it or outlined it, I would immediately change it. Of course, that still happens in the "first-draft-as-outline" method, sometimes.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
Here's a question that really doesn't have to do with writing novels, but it does in a sideways kind of way. Does being a writer, and studying books as you read them, ever take some of the enjoyment out of reading? When I read a book for the first time I try to turn off the writer in me, and just focus on the pleasure of reading. But sometimes I find myself analyzing the prose so much that I have to go back and re-read sections because I don't remember the actual plot, point, dialogue, etc...

Maybe it's just me.

xXFireSpiritXx

Killing my darlings...
Registered
Reaction score
I usually work with an outline. For my latest WIP I didn't and while things worked well for the first half, I came to a grinding halt when my MC looked up at me and was like "what now". I thus outlined the last half of the novel and instead of being stuck in writer's block hell" for a while I can now proceed.

BUT, I do not believe you always have to outline. Some projects will require it more than others. I really enjoyed allowing my MC to take over, but in the end during the rewrites I will have a lot more restructuring than if I did outline.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
@smsarber-- Only if the writing is clunky do I have a problem. Otherwise I get right in the "dream" and enjoy myself

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a question that really doesn't have to do with writing novels, but it does in a sideways kind of way. Does being a writer, and studying books as you read them, ever take some of the enjoyment out of reading? When I read a book for the first time I try to turn off the writer in me, and just focus on the pleasure of reading. But sometimes I find myself analyzing the prose so much that I have to go back and re-read sections because I don't remember the actual plot, point, dialogue, etc...

I try not to look at the fine points of prose, and instead focus on the more overarching issues of plot, character and their interactions. And reading with a writer's mind has actually IMPROVED my enjoyment of stories I read. I always feel a kind of awe when a writer pulls off what I thought was impossible.

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
What I first thought was the first draft for my book Hatchings turned out to be the outline at 65k. Seven rewrites later it sat at 80k.

For some novelists an outline can apparently benearly as large as the book itself and I've heard of outlines that were 50k or more and authors who regularly outline at that level.

MiltonPope

Registered
Reaction score
My first novel ended up a 53,000 word outline, telling the complete story, and giving me a good first draft to work from.

I spent many months working on characters and events, researching the major elements I thought I needed. Then in November I kept up with NaNoWriMo, and dumped over 50,000 words onto paper, with scenes written in whichever order they came to me. I've read it over once and taken notes, but now I'm working on the real first draft Which I'm calling the second draft, to impress my friends.

--Milton

MiltonPope

Registered
Reaction score

Actually, I'm enjoying my fiction reading more, now that I'm trolling for techniques. One book I've appreciated more than any other is Dean Koontz's Strangers. I tried to read it a while back, but found my Internet-addled brain wasn't keeping up. But now that I've started work on draft 2 of my WIP, I'm enjoying it very much.

By the way, drinking from the online firehose isn't good for me. It makes me far too willing to read the lead paragraph and go to the next piece, because there is always a next piece. I've started reading most of my fiction via audiobook in the car. It's turning into a character flaw, I think.

--Milton

Status
Not open for further replies.