August 21 2017 North American Total Solar Eclipse

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
On Monday, August 21, 2017, all of North America will be treated to an eclipse of the sun. Anyone within the path of totality can see one of nature’s most awe-inspiring sights - a total solar eclipse. This path, where the moon will completely cover the sun and the sun's tenuous atmosphere - the corona - can be seen, will stretch from Lincoln Beach, Oregon to Charleston, South Carolina. Observers outside this path will still see a partial solar eclipse where the moon covers part of the sun's disk.

Nasa Solar Eclipse Page Who, What, When and How

Main NASA page with resources

Local libraries with Eclipse initiatives

I still remember, vividly, the one in 1970.

Watch safely, but do watch.

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen the one in 1999. Well... seen it...

Went to Metz in France with a couple of friends. Clear skies all day. Just before totality, clouds came rolling in.

Still, it was very special.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Any luck this will scare Trump voters into thinking it's the end of the world and retreating into their Alex Jones Fallout Shelters for the next few years?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Any luck this will scare Trump voters into thinking it's the end of the world and retreating into their Alex Jones Fallout Shelters for the next few years?

We can only hope... though the real and lasting damage isn't being done by those voters, but by the people those voters helped put in power.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'm beign stupid/daring and heading to Charleston for it. My in-laws live there, so we get a family visit and no fighting over hotels. We will, however, have to fight traffic to get home at a reasonable hour.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
We were going to travel to see it, but Lady Gaga is playing that day! But I will be seeing it during the day!

Oooh! I'm seeing her in November with my daughter and best friend. Can't wait!!!

We will be in Florida, watching the eclipse from the beach. I bought Bill Nye eclipse glasses for the three of us.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Going to camp over night in Madras, OR with my son. Expensive camp site but I didn't want to risk anything more dodgy like hoping for a parking space and ending up stuck in traffic outside the center line.

I went to Mexico in 91 for the big one (6 minutes of totality) and the clouds rolled in just before totality. In 79 I was in Australia when the eclipse path crossed the US. I've been waiting for this one for a while.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm heading down to Newport, Oregon to see it, staying with friends. Already there are traffic warnings. We might leave early Sunday morning to avoid it. Luckily we can hang around the area for a while after, leaving Wednesday or Thursday morning. I am excited! Hope the weather is good.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Got my eclipse glasses recently. I was even stoked just to look directly at the sun, so the eclipse should blow my mind. >90% totality at my house.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somebody's going to warn Trump, right? Somebody's going to explain what it is, ideally before it happens?

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Or the Dominionists will fap themselves into a frothing fury at this being a SIGN~! that God wants him to drop Teh Bombz.

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
I live about a half hour drive from the nearest area of totality. I plan to stay home and not have to deal with all the people who are going to be here from somewhere else. Cobalt Jade, if youre going to have to travel on hwy 101 you might want to think about leaving Saturday night. They are predicting massive traffic jams on all the hwys in or near the area of totality. Next weekend is the perseids, so I will run up to the mountains for a couple of hours to watch them.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
3 hours from totality here in Denver (Casper WY is the closest point in our path).

I'll be teaching - we may stop briefly to peruse it. Be careful with both your eyes and your cameras:

For your eyes: it can be very damaging, and the knock-off "eclipse glasses" are already flooding the market.

For your camera: You need a special kind of filter to prevent damage to your sensor - yes even mobile phones can be ruined, so don't try to photograph it with a naked lens (properly treated filters usually run about $175 from reputable places like B&H), and of course most reputable places are out of stock or back-ordered. So if you don't have a filter for your camera, it's not worth ruining the one you have

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Oregon is freaking out over the influx of people coming (they're estimating as many as 1.5 million from out of state) and the extreme fire danger this summer. They're worried people from out of state won't heed the campfire ban. Wishing everyone fun and good viewing!

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
We're planning on running up I-15 from Utah to Idaho. Hope that traffic isn't too heavy, it's a fairly deserted area.

Tanatra

Burning Bright
Registered
Reaction score
The stars at night, are big and bright...
I'm beign stupid/daring and heading to Charleston for it. My in-laws live there, so we get a family visit and no fighting over hotels. We will, however, have to fight traffic to get home at a reasonable hour.

I'm going to Charleston as well. I made my reservations back in January, and even then hotels were already selling out. I'm staying at a B&B in the Battery and intend to just walk out to Oyster Point to view the eclipse, because I suspect the entire city is going to be a parking lot on the 21st.

I'm really looking forward to getting some writing done on this trip, because an author friend of mine told me one of his favorite ways to break writer's block is to travel somewhere he's never been. Based on previous traveling experience, I'm inclined to agree.

ETA: If anyone misses the total eclipse this year, there will be another one in April 2024:

20240408_eclipse_path.jpg

Last edited:

nahalwi

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to Charleston as well. I made my reservations back in January, and even then hotels were already selling out. I'm staying at a B&B in the Battery and intend to just walk out to Oyster Point to view the eclipse, because I suspect the entire city is going to be a parking lot on the 21st.

We're heading to Charleston too! We got a hotel months ago and it was really booked. Hoping the weather plays nice though, sounds like it might be cloudy/rainy. We know it will be crazy busy but we're used to that in tourist-land, so just hoping to have a couple of days to see what we can see otherwise too.

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
Major brain fart. The other night while walking with my hubby, I looked at the nearly full moon and tried to count to see if it would be full again in time for the eclipse. It wouldn't be full and I told my husband wondering how it would affect the eclipse. Of course he said the moon is always ALL there no matter what.
But I'll be watching the partial from home.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
It's going to be crazy mad here with traffic. We're right in the path of totality. People are already renting out houses and apartments for just the day at around $3,000.

Luckily my work has already said they'll close for the duration of totality, and they're buying us glasses to view it!

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I bought a box of glasses. I have the day off, and my kid is visiting, so I'll be watching it from somewhere in the Bay. I'm handing out glasses to coworkers, friends, and neighbours.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Major brain fart. The other night while walking with my hubby, I looked at the nearly full moon and tried to count to see if it would be full again in time for the eclipse. It wouldn't be full and I told my husband wondering how it would affect the eclipse. Of course he said the moon is always ALL there no matter what.
But I'll be watching the partial from home.

By brain fart you mean you figured it out, right? A full moon happens when the Earth is between the Sun and the Moon.

Last edited:

Tanatra

Burning Bright
Registered
Reaction score
The stars at night, are big and bright...
We're heading to Charleston too! We got a hotel months ago and it was really booked. Hoping the weather plays nice though, sounds like it might be cloudy/rainy. We know it will be crazy busy but we're used to that in tourist-land, so just hoping to have a couple of days to see what we can see otherwise too.

I just checked NOAA, and it seems next week Charleston is going to be caught in the remnants of the storm systems we've been dealing with here in Texas. Those cloud/rain chances dwindle going into next weekend though, and with clear skies in TX now, we may just luck out.

However, I'm not sure about Oregon. A clear, sunny day seems like a real long shot there.