fairy tale questions

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm venturing into untried waters with one of my current projects, and I'm not sure how to go about it, because it's so alien to me.

It's a fairy tale story, but not with fairies, etc. This one's rather gruesome, actually.

I usually jump right into the action with stuff, but for some reason it wasn't working for me this time. It's actually my first nano project ever, and I got stuck and realized I am not going to make it by the deadline. Doesn't matter, that part was a lark, anyway.

The problem is, I figured out why I was stuck (I think) and now I have it all clear in my mind. But I think I need to go back farther in time and start at a different beginning for it to make sense to the reader later on. I don't know if it's a good idea, because I read so much about backstory and set-up not being good, but it's in 3rd omniscient, and the narrator knows so much more than most of the players.

So if anyone has any suggestions, please let me hear them. And I don't know what constitutes a lot of backstory. This is about five ds pages, at most, divided into two chapters. Oh, and there's a short introductory rhyme about the curse, but that's included in the five pages.

Thanks so much for any help or comments.

Sissy

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
I think it didn't work for you because fairy tales are not constructed in the way that allows for jumping into the action straight away. Try writing it down in the traditional way with the setup and cut it down later if you're not happy with it then.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I agree. Straight narrative, starting with clear exposition, then bring it in to description of specific action and dialogue.

(And there's nothing incompatible with a fairy tale being gruesome. Remember Cinderella's stepsisters cutting their toes off to fit their feet into the slippers? The blood dripping out gave them away.)

Angela_785

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com
Good advice here. That much backstory will likely kill the momentum.

If this is a fairy tale spin off and the backstory is necessary, is there no reason why you can't have a prologue? If the scene is not overly long and is definitely removed from your main story by time and place, it might be a reasonable solution. (I know some are not a fan of Prologues, but accasionally they are necessary.)

In any case, I wouldn't let it bog you up too much at this point. First drafts are for getting the story down--later you can figure out how to make it work better so you do not require info dumps or backstory as much. My first drafts tend to have more of both because it's about me getting the whole story down in that first draft, then later I ca really look at it and see what's necessary and what isn't.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Angela's right. Just put it all down. The project I have scheduled next has actually been in three forms so far. first, I just wrote a straightforward first draft. Then I got stuck and shelved. Then after a year, I came back and just wrote notes. Tons of nothing-I'll-use-in-the-book, but all that backstory. Now I'm about ready to actually write the next draft, and it's turning out totally different from what I had first imagined.

Just dive in and see what happens.

Khanada

Registered
Reaction score
Just write, Sissy. [I always want to edit as I'm writing, too - we have to stop that!] At the edit stage, you might find small bits of backstory that you can just drop in here & there, and that will cut down on the "infodump" intro you're looking at currently. Or you may find parts you don't need, anyway, once you're finished. But you'll likely continue to be stuck if you don't write it down now.

Good luck!!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, stijn, manuel, angela, judy and khanada,

I really appreciate your support and encouragement. I don't know why this is proving to be so difficult. And I'm a freak about editing - I can't leave the thing alone!

I think I'm trying too hard. Like I said, this is different from anything I've done before, and maybe it's just not for me. But what I usually write doesn't seem to be what the agents are looking for, so I get discouraged and frustrated.

I like this story, although I'm wondering if it's becoming too graphic for my target age. No one actually gets eaten onstage, and I know fairy tales were full of that stuff, what with Little Red Riding Hood, et. al., but I'm finding it problematic right now.

Anyway, thanks so much for the feedback. I guess I'll keep plugging away at this. Maybe I'll post the beginning as I now have it, and see what people think. (sigh)

Must be the holidays approaching and seven months now without a job. And someone please tell me how they manage to write with a spouse in the house all the time! It's driving me nuts!

Sissy

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm trying too hard. Like I said, this is different from anything I've done before, and maybe it's just not for me.
My dog-and-his-boy story has been like that. At least once a month I wonder why I'm bothering, when it isn't what I had in mind at all. But you just have to trust that you are at least learning a new way to approach story-telling. And those skills will deepen your range and help you write the next story, and the one after that.

Must be the holidays approaching and seven months now without a job.

Aw, jeez, that's an awfully long time. Of course you get discouraged. It's just too much stress for anyone to have to deal with.
And someone please tell me how they manage to write with a spouse in the house all the time! It's driving me nuts!
Hah! I can't help you there. My writing career began for real on the day I got divorced...

Sissy

Chin up, sweetie. It's a good story, and you should just keep working at it.

mbroadway

Owned a Monkey — Once
Registered
Reaction score
Since you're my sister, I can say this.

You're an editing freak. (Just like your brother, aka moi.)

Here's some brotherly advice...

You start out writing your story about Kinoppio, the wooden boy.
No backstory. Just start out with the action.
Then you write another book with all the backstory in it.
You sell it as a set of two volumes.

Or not.

But seriously, now. I like the theme of your story very much. I know how difficult it is to pick that perfect starting place, since there's oh-so-much-I-must-tell-the-reader copy that you have to put in first. But readers are smarter than we think. They can pick up the story with much less detail than we feel we have to give them.

After I finished writing and editing Two Hearts, I realized that it was a boring infodump that lasted for two long chapters - with nothing going on. I cut the first two chapters and it didn't hurt it one iota. (well, maybe a half an iota, but no more than that).

So, as others have advised, just keep writing. Write it all. Then let it sit for a while and come back and see what you can cut without severe bleeding and putting the whole thing into a life-threatening situation.

Keep in mind, scary is good. Kids LOVE scary.

And that's all the advice I can give you.

I only write this stuff because I have the brain of a 12-year-old.
(It's in my refrigerator if you want to see it.)

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Just wanted to add that in my experience, self-editing gets in the way of finishing the story. Just get a first draft down with all the major points you want, then worry about revising it. Sometimes it helps to put the first draft away for a few days and come back to it, read it over, and think about what's missing (or what's superfluous) from the reader's perspective. Then you can whip it into shape. (Just my experience, for what it's worth.)

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, geez, guys, you make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

No, wait, now I realize why the glass of coke my hubby brought me tasted so good.

Seriously, I appreciate all the support - again!

And I'm going to quit second guessing myself and take your advice. Just write. It's just so hard to turn off that little self-edit button and keep moving forward. I lay awake at night and say, oh, wait, that shouldn't have been that way, I need to remember to go change it, or else this won't make sense.

So enough of that. Forward we shall go.

Thanks bunches.

Sissy