Historical Fiction Market

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Well, this is depressing. I love history and really can't do romance with a capital R. What I write is historical fantasy, I think. It reads more like historical, but it has fantasy elements.

Basically, I retell fairy tales in different eras. I put Hansel and Gretel in southern California in the Thirties, Snow White in gold country California during the Civil War, and Snow White and Rose Red in Bleeding Kansas during the 1850s. (The last two fairy tales have nothing in common but a similarity in their names.)

Should I give up on this sort of writing and try to figure out something else? It's all completely American, and usually Californian. I went with the write what you know and love stricture.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
Should I give up on this sort of writing and try to figure out something else? It's all completely American, and usually Californian. I went with the write what you know and love stricture.

Well, I don't know about giving up.
My feeling is that as long as you are on an upward trajectory with your writing - improving with every book you write - it's worth keeping going at what you love.
It certainly sharpens your keenness to write well, the sense that what you are writing is a hard sell so what you are writing has to be absolutely damn brilliant if it is to have any hope of getting published.

If I ever get to the point where I can't see my next book in this genre being any better than my last one, then I might think about something more conventionally regarded as easy to sell, just to see what happens. But if I ever stop improving then that probably would be the time to change direction, in any case.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Cathleen, I don't think there's zero hope. Are these short stories (you have what appear to be a few short stories in your signature that might match your descriptions), or are they novels?

The market's very hard all around. We all have to take a long, hard, sober(ing) look at our options. Historical doesn't seem to be a hot area. Fiction in general is difficult to break into. But what's the goal? Is it to get published? Is it to get published by a big-6? Is it just to get down the voices in your head onto paper?

After assessing your goals, you might find you need to pursue another genre, or maybe attack it by e-publishing your own work or by approaching small presses. I know we all want the big prize (I do!) but it might not be possible in this strained market...But it's all based on what we want out of this writing experience, isn't it?

I'm pretty close to moving on, myself. Not from writing, but from historical. Part of that whole assessing of my goals thing . . .

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I think they're easier to sell with elements of fantasy - don't Philippa Gregory's YA historicals have those?

Hmmm. I've just started reading one of my favourite Roman HF novelists new book, which has Druids with definite fantasy elements. I wonder if he is trying to target a YA/New Adult market? My reaction so far has my inner archaeologist screaming Stukeley! Pseudo-archaeology!

I am quite interested in the ancient Druids, and thinking of an MA in Ancient Religions, and have read a number of books on them. I do intend to include them into a future book about the construction of the Antonine Wall, but I won't having them do anything that breaks the laws of physics, and staying with current thinking that they were religious leaders, judges, and war-leaders.

I don't know why, but when I read a novel with Druids, my mind can't get rid of the image of Getafix (from Asterix). :)

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I am quite interested in the ancient Druids, and thinking of an MA in Ancient Religions, and have read a number of books on them. I do intend to include them into a future book about the construction of the Antonine Wall, but I won't having them do anything that breaks the laws of physics, and staying with current thinking that they were religious leaders, judges, and war-leaders.

I liked the way Bernard Cornwell portrayed them in the Warlord Chronicles. There was mysticism surrounding them, but never overt magic. It made you aware of their power and how people COULD think they were sorcerers, but without attributing any fantastical abilities to them.

I've been tempted to write a Roman Britain novel too, something set around the time of Boudicca's revolt and the massacre of the druids on Anglesey, seeing the events through the eyes of a Druid in training who longs to be a spiritual war leader. I find them fascinating too, but haven't done much research yet. Just an idea on my list :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
It seems that 1920s-1940s historical fiction seems to be really popular nowadays, Cathleen. I've seen a couple of agents ask for stories set in those eras, especially those with a Downton Abbey feel to them. I also know a lot of agents and editors like fairy-tale retellings. Sarah Dotts Barley is an editor that likes retellings and historical fantasy.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually really struggling with what to write next. I have two ideas: one set in the 1920s and one set in the 1860s. The one about the 1920s, is a young woman who works as a journalist for a newspaper and writes about various speakeasies that she visits. (Like Louis Long did for the New York Post). Along the way she exposes some rather corrupt political figures for their dealings with the mob. The other story that I have is two sisters arriving from Ireland just after the Civil War breaks out. They work inside of a Beacon Hill mansion in Boston, and one of the sister falls in love with the son of her employer.

I'm actually leaning towards the 1860s story, but I feel like the 20s one has a better chance of snagging an agent.

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
I'm actually really struggling with what to write next. I have two ideas: one set in the 1920s and one set in the 1860s. The one about the 1920s, is a young woman who works as a journalist for a newspaper and writes about various speakeasies that she visits. (Like Louis Long did for the New York Post). Along the way she exposes some rather corrupt political figures for their dealings with the mob. The other story that I have is two sisters arriving from Ireland just after the Civil War breaks out. They work inside of a Beacon Hill mansion in Boston, and one of the sister falls in love with the son of her employer.

I'm actually leaning towards the 1860s story, but I feel like the 20s one has a better chance of snagging an agent.

I'm an 1860s girl myself and am currently writing a CW novel. That being said I would buy both of your books, but I think the 1920s one might grab an agent better.

Though, truly, what do I know?

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
Hi there

I have two novels published in Australia (crime) but have been working on an epic historical novel for some time and have just about finished the draft. It's at the point where I'm keen to get some professional feedback, but I am fairly certain there is no market for it in Oz.

The book is a high concept novel with lashings of violence, romance , intrigue and revenge - mostly set in England.

Who are the UK and US agents and publishers that might feasibly be interested?

Thanks in advance for any info.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My best advice is to look at the reviews at the Historical Novel Society, figure out what recently published books are most like yours, and see who represented and/or published them.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
My approach has been to find UK authors who write books similar to mine and find out who their agent is. Also there is The Writers and Artist's Yearbook which you can buy in print from Amazon, or subscribe through their website.