Opus at Politics and Prose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Has anyone published with Opus at Politics and Prose? Is it worth the fee (the only reason I could think is because they'll carry it in their store - but in a special Opus section for self-published only, so do readers take it seriously or is it the roll-your-eyes part of the store)?

Reaction score
Yes, and if you publish with Opus (costs around $150) they'll carry your books on an Opus-only shelf in their shop (kinda at the back). The store is really popular and renowned, but does being just on the Opus rack besmirch the book enough to not be worth the money to get into P&P?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
How many copies would you have to sell to make back that $150?

Is it likely that you would sell that many copies?

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the machine and glanced at the shelf when I was there last year. The books on display are a very mixed and odd bag - novels, local histories, poetry, and I think I recall a cookbook as well. Some were professionally done; others were less so, to put it charitably. It's tucked in a corner next to either the SFF or mystery shelves, IIRC. If you have a fan base and can promote the book enough locally to drive people there to specifically ask/look for it, then it might be a good deal. But generally, I don't think people go in there to browse the Opus shelf - precisely because it's such a mixed assortment.

Just two bits from someone who's only been there once!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If you could get local news coverage of a decent quality and quantity you might do it. But it would be difficult, and the bookshop is not likely to stock enough copies to cover the costs involved--which would mean your publicity would have to be spread over a few weeks, to give them time to replenish their stock, and that's even harder to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.