MG books about...

bobcat22

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me MG titles of books out there (if there even are books out there!) for the following:

*Girls pretending to be boys (for whatever reason...maybe to play sports or be a part of something that is boys' only)

*Beauty pageants

I know of YA titles, but I'm looking for MG ones. Thanks! : )

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I can think of one for a girl pretending to be a boy, if you like fantasy. That's Alanna: the First Adventure by Tamora Pierce. Alanna, the main character, pretends to be a boy so that she can train to be a knight. It's an older book, but I enjoyed it.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me MG titles of books out there (if there even are books out there!) for the following:

*Girls pretending to be boys (for whatever reason...maybe to play sports or be a part of something that is boys' only)

*Beauty pageants

I know of YA titles, but I'm looking for MG ones. Thanks! : )

You know who could really help you? A librarian. :) Go to your local branch and introduce yourself to the children's librarian, explain you are a writer, and ask for assistance in putting together a bibliography on these subjects. :)

But to get you started -- MG about beauty pageants: PRETTIEST DOLL by Gina Pardo

~suki

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Two came right to mind:

Leviathan, by Scott Westerfield (and the two sequels)
Rickshaw Girl by Mitali Perkins

If you google "Books girls pretending to be boys" there are a few lists on Goodreads that pop up.

Hope that helps.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I forgot about Leviathan. Though I guess it's technically YA, I'd imagine it has a lot of crossover appeal for MG. The series has felt on the young end of YA to me.

shestval

No more horror books at 1am
Registered
Reaction score
Crossdressing girls is a common theme in historical fiction YA and MG. Bloody Jack came to mind immediately, although I think that's YA.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I think this happens in Th True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi. You'll have to double check if it's middle grade or YA.