Self-Publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novilia

Registered
Reaction score
I am interested in self-publishing. I have no idea how to do this or at least I have a very vague idea. I am even wondering if it is a good idea to self publish. Is it a stupid move?

I would highly appreciate any comments or suggestions on this topic. Thanksness.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
The first question would be, why do you want to self-publish?

I've been reading around, and self-publishing implies spending a lot of money, so if you don't have it then it's not a good idea. Plus, it's harder to sell the book because you are in charge of all the marketing and promotion and such, and that's quite tiresome, and it also implies spending a lot of time on it, so if you don't have it then it's not a good idea.

But who am I to talk anyway? I've never published, I'm just telling you what I've read or come to conclusions about. Hope it helps.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Welcome, Novilia!

Honestly? Since you're posting this in Writing Novels, I'd have to say that it would be a difficult thing. Nothing is "stupid." After all, it's your book, your time, your money. But novels are particularly difficult to self-pub in, because it has so many strikes against it from the get-go. You should wander over and read some of the threads in our Self-Pub forum. I think you'll find more answers over there than you even knew you had questions!

This thread, in particular, had a lot of good info:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17921

And this one gave a whole bunch of really SUPER information, from all aspects of the business:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19304

Good luck, and feel free to ask any more questions that you didn't see the answers to!

:D

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Read Dan Poytner's Self-Publishing Manual. And after that, if you still think it's a good idea, go for it. Now, if you're equating vanity press with self publishing, then good luck.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Thinking of Self-Publishing with some reservations

Novilia, please check your private messages. I have included some details about self-publishing. My experience that this topic stirs a lot of diverse opinions but little else.
Michael

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.