Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteRead

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
dan-skies.blogspot.com
I reworded some prayers, which I found in a bk of a Christian denomination.

I did so w original additions of mine to original parts of the original prayer, and also, by changing sole words in it here and there.

Q's:

-- Can I consider it a changed ver w no account to give to anyone?

-- If not, what am I doing wrong and how do I fix it, in case I'd want to publish my version of the prayers, the changed one?

Thanks,

Dan

Jaws

Apex Predator
Registered
Reaction score
Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie
Website
scrivenerserror.blogspot.com
WriteRead said:
I reworded some prayers, which I found in a bk of a Christian denomination.
I did so w original additions of mine to original parts of the original prayer, and also, by changing sole words in it here and there.
-- Can I consider it a changed ver w no account to give to anyone?
It depends—and it will almost certainly vary from item to item.
-- If not, what am I doing wrong and how do I fix it, in case I'd want to publish my version of the prayers, the changed one?
What you are doing wrong here is asking for what is essentially legal advice in a public forum. Although there are certainly good general rules to follow—see, for example, Stephen Fishman's excellent The Copyright Handbook, which is by far the best guide for non-lawyers—the way your inquiry is set up essentially asks for a legal opinion. That needs to come from your lawyer.

WriteRead

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
dan-skies.blogspot.com
Okay, Jaws, I see, though sorry for being so dense, I don't understand why you say it's wrong? We ask routinely such q's here and get routinely answers for them, thank you and all the others, so what's wrong w it now?

Dan

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't just a copyright question.

Here's the question:

I reworded someone else's work. I added some original parts, and changed sole words in it here and there.

Can I consider it a changed version with no account to give to anyone?
This is an Ethics 101 question.

Mac

Jaws

Apex Predator
Registered
Reaction score
Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie
Website
scrivenerserror.blogspot.com
As soon as you tie your question to a particular, existing set of facts—that is, you've already done it, and are asking after any potential infringement has occurred—you've crossed the line into asking for legal advice for your particular situation. It's unethical (both in the broad sense and the cramped sense of "legal ethics") for a lawyer to provide that answer in a public forum like this one, and if you've gone that far you don't want an answer from anyone but a lawyer knowledgeable in that particular part of the law.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
However, some prayers and religious texts are in the public domain. If the ones you used were, this would change the copyright situation.

WriteRead

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
dan-skies.blogspot.com
This is good to read, and in fact, I knew about "public domain" but forgot, overlooked it. I'll have to check if it is so in this case. Then I'm in clear water. Thank you for reminding.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.