The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless65

Re: For a good laugh....

sweetie, it's your PUBLISHER!
This isn’t necessarily true is it? Let’s be honest, most of the authors that resort to PA would never be accepted by a regular publisher due to the quality of the work. I don’t know what B&N meant by “presentation” (I assume the jacket cover was lacking) but I’m guessing that “content” referred to the quality of the writing.

Is it just me or is there a tangible amount of derision aimed at these PA authors from this board? I know that I was the guy arguing for personal responsibility on the part of the PA authors but it doesn’t mean that I don’t sympathize with them. These people are trying to make the best of a very, very bad deal. Even if the majority of them seem deluded – don’t they deserve some sympathy?

XThe NavigatorX

Yeouch. That letter is harsh! Does anyone know if this is this a standard letter... or did they soup it up especially for her?

FM St George

Re: Another sad PA book pricing related thread....

I sympathise with this woman TOTALLY - she's now got the idea that B&N rejected HER book on the content - when it's much more likely that it's because of the PublishAmerica label and the no-return policy that did her in.

she's taking it as a personal rejection and PA won't stand up and tell her the truth - that there are NO PA books on B&N shelves due to their policies. It's got nothing to do with the content or the writing; it's the no-return policy. Period.

but she believed the hype on the front page about seeing her book on the shelves of "brick and mortar" stores... and now she's doubting herself when it's her choice of publisher that did her in with B&N, not necessarily her writing skill.

XThe NavigatorX

*Not that I'm saying the kid gloves should be put on, and it's fairly straight-forward and honest, I'm sure. Maybe I'm reading too much into the tone, but there seems to be a pretty strong subtext in those few sentences from BN. Something like: "People! Stop sending these to us! We're sick and tired of it, and the moment we see who publishes it, it's getting tossed! ARRRRRGGGGGGGG!"

Nameless65

Re: Another sad PA book pricing related thread....

I sympathise with this woman TOTALLY - she's now got the idea that B&N rejected HER book on the content - when it's much more likely that it's because of the PublishAmerica label and the no-return policy that did her in.
I don’t know if I buy that. What you’re basically saying then is that the writer of the letter chose “lack of content/presentation” when he could have said “PA’s return policy”. If so, what a heartless bastard!

Besides, I wonder what B&N would do if PA were to have a hit (they may one day) like the Celestine Prophecy or if a bestselling author like King, Clancy, or Atwood (not that they ever would) signs with them. My money says that they’d overlook that return policy.

Sher2

<*Not that I'm saying the kid gloves should be put on, and it's fairly straight-forward and honest, I'm sure. Maybe I'm reading too much into the tone, but there seems to be a pretty strong subtext in those few sentences from BN. Something like: "People! Stop sending these to us! We're sick and tired of it, and the moment we see who publishes it, it's getting tossed! ARRRRRGGGGGGGG!">

I haven't read those peoples' books and am certainly in no position to pass judgment on them. Based on so many of the posts I see from the PA boards, however, one does have to wonder whether it's not an equal mix of inept writing and PA's policies that have caused booksellers to develop these attitudes.

DeePower

That was a form letter rejection from BN

I have seen that letter posted on the PA boards a number of times. It was not directed at her personally.
I also believe that BN looks at who the publisher is and just says no.

Dee

DeePower

PublishAmerica now a travel agency?

The latest news from PA The convention is $799 and does not include airfare. Oh, and originally there was supposed to be an "executive" from Barnes and Noble as a guest speaker. Guess he or she bailed.

Dear author,

We still have a few spots available on our 4-day Hemingway Convention in Key West, Florida, Sept 10-13. It's only six weeks away, and it promises to be yet another grand author get-together.

If you feel like being among fellow PublishAmerica authors, meeting members of the PublishAmerica staff, and exchanging experiences in a balmy and sunny setting, this is the event to go to.

Join your peers as we

-- stay in the tropical deluxe rooms of the Doubletree Grand Key Resort
-- have dinner in Ernest Hemingway's home and museum
-- check out the world's largest living coral reef on a sunset glass bottom boat tour
-- visit Harry Truman's little White House
-- make a Conch Train tour of Key West
-- have lunch with PublishAmerica's top management
-- enjoy the amazing sight of tropical butterflies as they land on your shoulder
-- discuss bookstore availability issues with a very special expert guest, who is in charge of supplying Barnes and Noble, Borders, Waldenbooks, and other major bookstores.

For all Convention details see www.publishamerica.com/hemingway/

Phone reservations only at 301 695 1707. You must be quick as there is only a limited number of spots available. This offer expires August 15, or earlier as remaining spots are taken.

We are looking forward to seeing you in Florida!

Dee

Sher2

Re: PublishAmerica now a travel agency?

<For all Convention details see www.publishamerica.com/hemingway/
Phone reservations only at 301 695 1707. You must be quick as there is only a limited number of spots available. This offer expires August 15, or earlier as remaining spots are taken.
We are looking forward to seeing you in Florida!>

Publishers, editors, promoters, travel agents -- I think they're happy to make a buck any way they can. Wonder if they'll have armed guards in Florida?

FM St George

The NYT says no?

wow... and here I was thinking that I'd be able to get my book reviewed now that they're PA's "partners"...

under the "Reviews" board, so no one will probably see it...

www.publishamerica.com/cg...ws/396.htm

kathyn

8/02/2004
18:31:50
Subject: Turned down by NYTimes

Well I thought I would give it a shot and sent a query letter to the Book Review editor. The next day he wrote me back and said they do not review vanity or pod publications. Here is the response:

"Thank you for your letter. The Book Review covers general-interest
books that are published in the United States and that can be found
in most bookstores. We do not review textbooks, books published by
vanity presses or only online, self-published books, books published
on demand, guidebooks, self-help books, reference books, fantasy
novels, westerns, or historical romances. Coverage of cookbooks and
gardening books is limited to roundups twice a year." --Bob Harris

gee... don't get much plainer than that, does it?

CaoPaux

Re: The NYT says no?

Heh. Most PA books would be disqualified under several of those categories....

vstrauss

Fantasy novels!!!

Sigh. Reduced to the level of a book printed on demand.

- Victoria

DaveKuzminski

Well, maybe PA didn't want to pay for enough guards to protect the B&N rep from the PA authors. ;)

lindylou45

I wonder what would happen if their little convention was picketed. Hmm... :grr

James D Macdonald

Re: That was a form letter rejection from BN

Dee's right -- that's the standard boilerplate rejection letter from B&N for people who are trying to get their self-published books stocked in stores. It has a checklist of possible reasons for the book to be rejected, one or more of which might apply.

alphabeter

Re: Lorem ipsum

Thanks Hapi and reph. :thumbs

Whats cute is I used Google to find an online translator instead of just letting Google give me the answer.
Silly author, trying to look up and find things instead of letting the computer do it for me! :smack

Does this mean PA copied something and used it without understanding so as to confuse their authors and/or website surfers? :eek :lol

Alpha

James D Macdonald

Re: Lorem ipsum

Does this mean PA copied something and used it without understanding so as to confuse their authors and/or website surfers?

No, it means their web designer gave them the page with a place for them to put their own text, only they didn't put in their own text yet.

DaveKuzminski

New HIDDEN PA board

HB Marcus

8/03/2004
10:48:09
Subject: Am I missing something here?

I see we have a new private board, but I see no way to get on the freakin' thing. It's a cool idea that should fly better than the old chat room they used to have: "Ooo, chat room. Let's check it out. Gosh, nobody is here again. Oh well, I'm bored."

Actually I think it may decrease the number of hits to this site. There are a lot of lurkers who like to read what people say on here. Maybe it would be interesting to have outsiders allowed in to the private area...until they screw up: "Hi, I'm Bob(esq) from Bob's Publishing."

At any rate I'll still be watching the other sections and jumping in there as often as I do now.

Do you think that maybe they're afraid of public comment or are trying to hide the criticism that can be seen by prospective vict..., er, authors? Or are they trying to hide libelous statements to protect themselves? Bet you that either the current board soon disappears or only the happy topics from the hidden board are transferred to it for public consumption.

rlfulgham

Re: At last, a defense

I am a traditionally published author and have no beef with PublishAmerica. My traditional publishers are Overmountain and Australia's Mountain Mist. I have another traditionally published book scheduled for 2005 but would prefer not to name the press yet. I have self published two books via Lulu Press at www.lulu.com/LION.

Okay, now I don't know whether to call PublishAmerica "traditional" or not. I would without hestitation but for the extraordinary traffic on the Internet discussing its autheticity as a real publisher.

I placed with them my true crime novella "Man's Laughter: Anatomy of a Manhunt" this year. I knew from my research that the book would not be promoted, reviewed or displayed in convential ways. Neverhtless, PA produced for me a professional paperback with an absolutely terrific cover and durable construction. Knowing beforehand what to expect prevented me from feeling betrayed in any way. I have other books out and more coming, which will be promoted, etc. This particular book was a "showcase" book meant for a select group of friends and family - not for profit or high volume distribution.

That said, I argue that PublishAmerica is truly a democratic press. It keeps cost to a minimum, enabling it publish thousands of otherwise frustrated authors - many of whom are very good indeed. The survival of their book depends on its quality. The cream will rise to the surface, if democracy works at all. It also depends on the ingenuit and persistance of the author, again which allows the cream to rise. PublishAmerica is an all-American press which gives beforehand unpublishable authors a chance to find their audience and showcase their work. Indeed, I hope mine rises to the surface! At least I have that hope, and "that hope" is what being American is all about.
Richard Lee Fulgham. Author: "Appalalchian Genesis"; "The Embracing Woods". My PublishAmerica true crime book is "Man's Laughter: Anatomy of a Manhunt". I self-published my metaphysical memoir "LION: Nietzsche Contra Christ" viaq Lulu Press (www.lulu.com/LION).

James D Macdonald

Re: At last, a defense

The survival of their book depends on its quality.

Alas, R. L., that isn't quite true. Regardless of the book's quality, the non-standard discount via distributors, the non-returnability issue, and the extremely high cover price give the writer two strikes against him and a curve headed for the plate when it comes to finding his readers.

Add in the abusive contract and the fact that that higher-quality book shares the logo with the unedited ... let's say lesser-quality ... books that also come out from that press, and authors are looking at a formula for disaster.

In almost every case, the author would be better off self-publishing with a local short-run printer.

The higher-quality books could also find traditional publication, either with a major publisher or the plethora of small-press publishers.

I find your arguments unconvincing.

DaveKuzminski

New player in town

I received an email regarding this site that considers both the Pro and Con sides of the issue regarding PublishAmerica. You can visit the site at URL payn.freelinuxhost.com/ and decide for yourself.

XThe NavigatorX

Re: New player in town

I received an email regarding this site that considers both the Pro and Con sides of the issue regarding PublishAmerica. You can visit the site at URL payn.freelinuxhost.com/ and decide for yourself.

If that facts and figures page is accurate, it's a real eye-opener.

alphabeter

Oh boy from the PA boards

www.publishamerica.com/cg...e/5226.htm

How about BooksAMillion is trying to cover their costs for the ridiculously overpriced tomes?

Nah, that makes sense and PAvidians can't understand anything that coesn't come from "Mission Control" (now there is a name for Author Support! :lol ).

Here's another:

www.publishamerica.com/cg...e/5189.htm

A literary agent still wants them after they've been with PA? Unless its another scammer, they should run and thanks their stars.
But of course they are being talked out it. :eyeroll

Alpha

Deejay816

Well, firstly I think Phenix and Phenix (is that really how it's spelled?) is a publicist, not an agent. And yes, there are actually former PA authors who have gone on to be accepted by legitimate agents (I have) so to make comments that it's not possible is maybe a bit out of line.

Deej

Status
Not open for further replies.