Ever applied for a job as a joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
I want to take writing 100% seriously, so I want to get a job in NYC in the publishing industry so that I can network. Well, that is not going so well, so now I am looking for any job that will take me to NYC.

I just applied to this one as a joke. I couldnt resist. The ad is just so over the top.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/ofc/203763313.html

LOL, I gave them every standardized test I ever took. They are going to think I am nuts.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
nicegrrl said:
I want to take writing 100% seriously, so I want to get a job in NYC in the publishing industry so that I can network. Well, that is not going so well, so now I am looking for any job that will take me to NYC.

I just applied to this one as a joke. I couldnt resist. The ad is just so over the top.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/ofc/203763313.html

LOL, I gave them every standardized test I ever took. They are going to think I am nuts.
I don't think it's crazy to want work in the Big Apple for a publishing house. I continue to apply for work with all the major imprints and have a few nibbles. Plus, NYC is a rocking fun place to live. I used to do work on Long Island and visit NYC during my freetime. I wouldn't mind living there if the money was good.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WTF? SAT over 1350 for a two month temp job? I was prepared to flame you for waisting people's time, but having read the link, um, ... carry on.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you would at least consider taking the job if they called. Applying for a job with absolutely no intention of taking it (just as a joke, for exmaple) has an unethical ring to it. It increases the workload of the person or persons who do the screening of applicants, for one thing. This is probably not a big deal in this instance, but there are situations where applying for a job in bad faith does create ethical problems for the applicant.

And, this holds no matter what their application requirements are.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, if they take me to NYC, Ill go. I only have to work for them for 2 months, but come on- they want a freaking admin assistant for 2 months.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The year after I graduated high school, we got a new AP English Lit teacher. I decided I wasn't sure if she was up-to-snuff, so I attended her class for 2 weeks, under a pseudonym (and the snickers of my friends in the class who knew the truth). But going back to school for 1 class, just to be an a$$ got boring, so I stopped going.

About a month later I sent a "Paul Jones has been out ill with pneumonia, can you please put together a homework packet for him" note to the teacher, who spent about 8 hours getting it all together from me.

I understand that when she found out the truth, it took a team of staff and several dozen chocolate chip cookies before she'd decided not to kill me and/or press charges for "impersonating a student."

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
nicegrrl said:
Hey, if they take me to NYC, Ill go. I only have to work for them for 2 months, but come on- they want a freaking admin assistant for 2 months.
You'd never survive on the pay. A fricken dinky apartment (one room) may cost you well over $1000 a month to live. If you were lucky enough to find a roommate or share an apartment then maybe, just maybe, you'd break even. But I doubt it.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
At 18 an hour, I should make enough to live in NYC if I work full time, yes?

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
Why not? 18 x 40 x 4 = 2880 pretax per month. That's enough for just me.

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
I just did a quick and dirty calculation, but if you worked full time, you'd be taking home about $2300/month. Can you live on that? Sounds like rent will take about half your income.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
The year after I graduated high school, we got a new AP English Lit teacher. I decided I wasn't sure if she was up-to-snuff, so I attended her class for 2 weeks, under a pseudonym (and the snickers of my friends in the class who knew the truth). But going back to school for 1 class, just to be an a$$ got boring, so I stopped going.

About a month later I sent a "Paul Jones has been out ill with pneumonia, can you please put together a homework packet for him" note to the teacher, who spent about 8 hours getting it all together from me.

I understand that when she found out the truth, it took a team of staff and several dozen chocolate chip cookies before she'd decided not to kill me and/or press charges for "impersonating a student."
No remorse on this, other than the expense of cookies?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
nicegrrl said:
Why not? 18 x 40 x 4 = 2880 pretax per month. That's enough for just me.

Seriously, in NY it isn't. Not unless you're willing to share a studio apartment with 5 other people.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
Well, working in publishing is not going to pay me any better than that, so what can I do? Most people my age make about that much if not less.

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
Rent's always taken half my income since I live in Boston, which costs the same. I dont understand how someone cant live on like 800 dollars a month for food and other bills. What exactly do people need that costs so much?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
nicegrrl said:
Rent's always taken half my income since I live in Boston, which costs the same. I dont understand how someone cant live on like 800 dollars a month for food and other bills. What exactly do people need that costs so much?
Sex, drugs and rock'n'roll...:tongue

nicegrrl

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I guess there are benefits to never drinking alcohol and not having to pay for dates. As for rock n'roll, jeez once you have an ipod, the music doesnt cost nuthin.

smiley10000

What do we do? We write...
Registered
Reaction score
You will need money for transportation, food, clothes, having a life, electricity, phone bill.

Things add up and the big apple is not cheap.

good luck though! It sounds like a fun idea!
:) 10000

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Is that the future for Ivy league graduates with high test scores?

$18-20 an hour - two month temp job?

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a connector job to me. These are the type of jobs that build a resume and get you to where you are going. I do not come from a top 40 university but I do not doubt that I could be of value to the company. Actually working in a publishing house in NYC is something that I very much wish that I could do. . . . do not take opportunities lightly.

It is either that or be the beat writer for the Boston Red Sox.

Cheers!

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Companies advertise for help because they Need Help. Applying for the job because one thinks it is funny is disrespectful and a waste of everyone's time.

A few weeks ago, a woman came into my store and applied for a position. Decently dressed, well-spoken. We give her the application and the Job Description. She fills it out, turns it in. We glance over it to make sure all of the appropriate info is filled out, and notice that she's requested an absurd salary, and her hours are just hilarious (this is freakin' retail and she lists M-F, 8am to 5pm, I mean WTF????).

She must have noticed my face, because as she's turning to leave she says, "I have to fill out applications in order to keep my unemployment benefits." :Wha:

Not only is she wasting my money as a taxpayer, she has just wasted a perfectly good application and the time I spent speaking with her about the job. If looks could kill, she'd have been on the ground.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
chaostitan said:
Companies advertise for help because they Need Help. Applying for the job because one thinks it is funny is disrespectful and a waste of everyone's time.

A few weeks ago, a woman came into my store and applied for a position. Decently dressed, well-spoken. We give her the application and the Job Description. She fills it out, turns it in. We glance over it to make sure all of the appropriate info is filled out, and notice that she's requested an absurd salary, and her hours are just hilarious (this is freakin' retail and she lists M-F, 8am to 5pm, I mean WTF????).

She must have noticed my face, because as she's turning to leave she says, "I have to fill out applications in order to keep my unemployment benefits." :Wha:

Not only is she wasting my money as a taxpayer, she has just wasted a perfectly good application and the time I spent speaking with her about the job. If looks could kill, she'd have been on the ground.
That must have been my girlfriend. Sorry. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.