neither with nor and semicolons

peanut

Registered
Reaction score
I need help with an opening sentence. Which one is grammatically correct? I know neither goes with nor, but I read somewhere about the first element containing a negative makes the second sentence use 'or'. Plus, I'd like to know if I should use a semicolon between them.

Thank you!

My best friend, John, didn't see it. Neither did Jane or Billy.
My best friend, John, didn't see it. Neither did Jane nor Billy.

My best friend, John, didn't see it; neither did Jane or Billy.
My best friend, John, didn't see it; neither did Jane nor Billy.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
"Either shall go with or; neither shall go with nor - and ne'er shall there be mixing o' the pairs, lest you feel the birch switch of correction."

(As drummed into our tender heads during our forced tenure in parochial elementary schools of the '50s...)

Otherwise, your use of the semicolon in the compound sentence is correct. The use of the period (to render the thought as two sentences) makes the second awkward at best, and arguably wrong as well since a verb seems to be missing. Read it (the second sentence - "Neither did Jane nor Billy.") aloud... The verb see is only implied or inferred; that typically only works in dialog.

Last edited:

beck_magruder

Beck
Registered
Reaction score
I actually don't like any of these; they all sound kind of not quite right...I'm sure grammatically they're fine, they just don't read well. I'd say this instead:

"My best friend, John, didn't see it; nor did Jane or Billy." It just sounds better to me. I also actually think you could leave out the "best friend" part - you'll probably establish later on that John is your best friend.

"John didn't see it; nor did Jane or Billy." It's crisper.

My $0.02.

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
My best friend, John, didn't see it; neither did Jane nor Billy.

This one might be technically correct, but comes across as pompous and pedantic to the point of being ridiculous.

My best friend, John, didn't see it. Neither did Jane or Billy.

This may not be technically correct, but is certainly what I'd use, out of the four options you've offered, and is what I suggest you use.

(I agree that leaving out the "best friend" part, if you can, is better. Or maybe just refer to him as "my friend John"?)

peanut

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. I was having difficulty choosing, because the story is written in first person by a teenager.

I will leave out the 'best friend' portion. It can come later.

Thanks! :)