Kingsley Amis

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've known of him for a long time, along with his brother son* Martin, but until last night I'd never tried reading any of his work. The book I chose is one of his lesser known, The Green Man.

Wicked, dry, hilarious and weird, all in an unholy amalgam. I'm only 30+ pages in, so I can't comment on its entirety, but it's been a great fun read so far. The sharpest-dagger kind of dark British humour.

I'm also convinced that it must have had some major influence on John Cleese, in the conception of his post-Python classic series Fawlty Towers. The Green Man is a haunted inn, with, among other things, a passive-aggressive domineering wife of the first-person narrator inn-owner, the seductive wife of a friend, seductive to both the narrator and his wife, apparently, and a disgruntled Spanish chef, who is wanting to go back to "Espain".

So, you Britsish folks here: Who amongst you has read Kingsley Amis, and what are your opines? And, to be fair, I'll ask my Yanksish and Canadesish friends as well, though mesuspects he's an unknown quantity to the first group . . . God, I'm starting to write like him.

Oh, hell, I'll even ask the French.

caw

*it's been pointed out to me in a PM that Martin is Kingsley's son, not brother. See? I told ya I knew of, but not much about.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Lucky Jim.

njmagas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
njmagas.wordpress.com
I've read Lucky Jim and really liked it. I found myself painfully empathizing with the MC because I'm a socially awkward penguin.

I haven't read any of his other books though.

Eliza azilE

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an American who has read three Kingsley's.

As far as Martin goes: most of his non-fiction, all his short stories, and all but two novels. Why? Because he's a genius.