Best book(s) you read in 2012?

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The two that made me go "Buhbuhbuh" in 2012...

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

And one that made me go "Zomgswtfturnthepagenow"...

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

There were others that were pretty great, but those were the three that blew my mind.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Zone One, by Colson Whitehead, is the one that popped into my head immediately.

If I thought about it, I could name a couple of others, but too much work to think today.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
Last year I read 39 books.

I have this problem where I really dont like starting something new. I like sticking to hte books that I know and love. It's really difficult for me to reach out and start something new. Even if all the reviews are great and I get advised by my book store friend to read them.

The black Dagger Brotherhood series - But thats the best series of every year for me.

The Crossfire series was really good. By Sylvia Day. It's out of my regular genre of Urban fantasy/paranormal romance, but it was a really good real nonethelesss.

Eleanor Rigby

Registered
Reaction score
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. When I finished the last page, I immediately wanted to read the entire book again from cover to cover. I love this book and the author. It's one of my favorite books! :)

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
The Cormorant (can't recall the author) for its brooding, nearly suffocating sense of wrongness. great subtle horror.

Frankenstein and Dorian Gray for their use of language; Shelley was lyrical, Wilde was brilliant in Lord Henry's needles and ripostes.

BethEllyn

Registered
Reaction score
I fell in love with Sarah Dessen's novels in 2012

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm trying to think of what all I read last year. I enjoyed The Judas Strain, it was a mixture of The Hot Zone and DaVinci Code and good for a fast read you don't have to think too much about. I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max was a good study in how to write (I'm sure embellished) real-life accounts, even if Tucker is a toad of a human being (a designation he would surely be proud of). Bah! It's always tough to come up with a list on the spot.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. When I finished the last page, I immediately wanted to read the entire book again from cover to cover. I love this book and the author. It's one of my favorite books! :)

I have had two people recently recommend it to me. I really must pick it up.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
Red Leaves (forgot the author's name) was a sad unreliable narrator account of a man trying to cope when his son is accused of a horrible crime. Very good, but sad.

The Cormorant (also forgot author) is a horror story about a family that inherits a menacing pet. The book is "slow" but in a good way--every page gets a bit more oppressive and creepy than the last....

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Mira Grant's Newsflesh trilogy was among my favorites in 2012. I love these books. They're smart, scientific, and thoroughly enjoyable.

C.M. Daniels

Cinnamon, sit. Bad fish!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.opendiary.com
Gorky Park-Martin Cruz Smith

Scorched Earth: How the Fires of Yellowstone Changed America-Rocky Barker

Awakening-S.J. Bolton

I read a ton, and those were the ones that really stuck with me.

Epsilon

Young and clueless.
Registered
Reaction score
The best book I read last year would have to be War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. I don't think there are many novels that can come close to it, but to each his own I guess.

Some honorable mentions:
Childhood's End - Arthur C. Clarke (I highly recommend this one to SF fans)
All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Remarque

robynmackenzie

Registered
Reaction score
I read Stuart: A Life Backward by Alexander Masters in December. Absolutely brilliant, and one of the best books I've ever read. I want to be able to write memoir/biography like him someday.