Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
HP7 part2. I'm possibly the only person on the planet that just... doesn't care. I zapped through half of it, in essence to see their choices re: the book.

The movies are well done, well acted, the production values are stellar, the cast is wonderful... but neither the books (also excellently written) nor the movies have ever moved me.

I'm weird. :Shrug:

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
HP7 part2. I'm possibly the only person on the planet that just... doesn't care. I zapped through half of it, in essence to see their choices re: the book.

The movies are well done, well acted, the production values are stellar, the cast is wonderful... but neither the books (also excellently written) nor the movies have ever moved me.

I'm the same way.

Well, not exactly the same.

I think the books have beautiful prose, and tell a good story. There is nothing wrong with those books, or movies.

But they don't appeal to me at all. And I'm mostly a fantasy writer, which makes it even stranger.

CharlesL83

Registered
Reaction score
Rise of the Planet of the Apes Alright and light-years better then the Tim Burton film. Really wasn't expecting Tom Felton to play an ass again. I would of thought he'd want to branch out a little.

EzzyAlpha

Unable to write straight females.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear, I'm not entirely sure.

It might've been Captain America.

Oh wow, that was a while ago.

I don't watch movies much, mostly because of time constraints.

Dave Hardy

Don't let your deal go down,
Registered
Reaction score
Touch of Evil, which should be a familiar title. If you don't know it, Orson Welles plays a crooked cop in a Texas border town and Charlton Heston is a Mexican drug enforcement agent. Classic film noir.

Before that I caught the premier of Deep in the Heart, a rather sweet indie film about Dick Wallrath and how he dealt with alcoholism to turn his life around and help others. Features Jon Gries (Uncle Rico!). I quite liked it.

Reaction score
Website
www.edwardmgrant.com
Righteous Kill, which wasn't bad but it didn't make a great deal of sense and the twist was quite predictable.

Critters 3, which was about as bad as everyone said it was; I got all four movies in a set for $5 so not a great loss :).

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Act of Valor - Actual navy seals star in a movie about navy seals doing navy seal stuff. It was perhaps not unduly burdened with crisp writing and I sort of doubt that Oscar will come knocking in 2013 but, really, who cares? It's not that kind of movie. The action sequences ranged from great to truly phenomenal. If that sort of thing is to your taste then this is definitely one to check out.

DamnStraight

Registered
Reaction score
Midnight Cowboy (1969)

Jon Voight is Joe Buck, a young Texan with a cowboy swagger struggling to make it as a prostitute in New York. Dustin Hoffman plays his friend, Ratso, a conman he meets. It's my favorite Dustin Hoffman performance, and possibly one of my favorite characters in cinema.

The Producers (1968)

Super funny. One of my favorite movies by Mel Brooks. I still have "Springtime for Hitler" looping in my head. I haven't seen the remake.

Hugh_Mann

Decapod 10
Registered
Reaction score
Angels in the Outfield (1994). Fun to rewatch one of the great movies from my childhood.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A couple over the last week or so:

The Big Bang - w/ antonio bandaras. It's quirky, quantum pyshicsy, and fun.

Take Shelter - slow burn, doomy drama. solid.

Puss in Boots - Magnificent. Really fun. "Humpty Alexander Dumpty."

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I'm the same way. I love Alan Rickman, the films are well-made, acted, etc...I just don't care. I do not know why. It may be that Harry just isn't that likeable a character to begin with. I don't know...

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
The Dead - Romero-esque zombie film set (and filmed) in Africa. Fast zombies are nice for variety, but with the slow sort you can jack the tension up to nigh-unbearable. It showed up on a lot of "Top 10 Horror Movies You Never Saw" lists, and rightly so.

The Debt - Aging mossad agents deal with the late-life fallout of the seminal event in their lives and careers. Not what I was expecting and quite good.

Lord of Illusions - Mid 90s horror flick starring Scott Bakula as a supernatural private eye investigating a cult of magicians. This is probably the 10th time I've seen it, but #9 was many years ago. Looking at the state of urban fantasy today, I think this movie is probably more influential than its given credit for. Even if not, it's worth seeing in its own right. Written and directed by the ever imaginative Clive Barker.

TumbleHome

Inconsequential. Also: short.
Registered
Reaction score
I finally saw Drive over the weekend, and loved it as much as I thought I would. I also have a fantasy of being a stunt driver, so...

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
^I think I've seen that movie on Netflix. Does is star Natalie Portman?

Watching War of the Worlds ( how do you like that for alliteration?)

Sunburn

Registered
Reaction score
On The Road With Judas. Not a bad film. The movie had a catchy song in it. Can't get it out of my head.