Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I think I'd have a heart attack if an 11-year-old read my work and commented about it. Any of it. Even my mainstream stuff is not meant for children.

Then again, the little terrorists are growing up faster these days. And even at age 11 in the 70's, I knew about some things I'm sure my mom didn't want me to know about.

So, okay, kid, read it if you can get your greasy little mitts on it. Just don't *tell* me you read it. 'Cuz I really don't want to know.

Exactly! I don't want to know. But the underage ones always want to tell me their age. Youngest I've had was 10. *shudder shudder* I had to tell her thanks for the compliments, but I preferred her reading something appropriate to her age group. Gotta cover my ass in case some raging parent thinks I'm to blame for corrupting their little darling.
I remember the smut I hid from my parents when I was their age. Kathy Acker, Ed Sanders, Jerzy Kosinski, the occasional Harold Robbins or Jacqueline Susann. Good times. :D

Last edited:

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
(((((Cricket))))))

I got another rejection today (off a partial). That's three in the past three days.

Even though I've still got several submissions pending, I hate it when I can feel the window start to close (this is my final batch of agents/publishers to query for this particular book series).

It just feels like this might be "it" for the series, and I've put SO much work/effort/blood/sweat/tears into it. Makes me sad.

Last edited:

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket)))

(((Chelsea)))

Amarie, wow. Not sure what to think of that. The yay Am@z0n stuff freaks me out, but I'm glad she's had success. But just like only the lucky few in trad publishing breakout (as she says), only the lucky few self-pubbed will breakout too, a fact conveniently overlooked by her. So meh. I see she's located relatively nearby though.

I need to stop procrastinating and email the agent about my revision outline and to find out what's up with ALP subs. I just don't want to. I'm in the SNI groove, and I don't want to know about subs. Bleh.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
If you're in a groove, Ink -- don't even change your socks!

Chelsea, hugs. Sometimes you get life out of things you though were dead. I forget -- do you have another WIP well along?

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Mornin', Pit

{{{Cricket}}}

{{{Chelsea}}}

Muted yay, JB

DVI, do what's best, but stick to the groove like Kell said.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket))) (((Chelsea))) (((Ink)))

My feeling about self-pubbing is that it's a great option for some--if you have a built-in readership, if you're willing to put a lot of time into marketing, etc. I have a couple of books I'd thought about self-pubbing but I'm holding off for now, since I have neither of the above :).

Incidentally, I've read a couple of "anti-traditional pub" things lately (the aforementioned blog post and a self-pubbed book). The problem for me is that the authors' arguments degenerate into a lot of namecalling/agida, which undermines the message they're trying to promote...

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Chelsea, hugs. Sometimes you get life out of things you though were dead. I forget -- do you have another WIP well along?

Sort of -- it's a book I wrote years ago that I've recently resurrected. It has nothing to do with the series, and I still think the ideas/plot have merit. It needs a major rewrite, though (so funny, to see how I wrote "back then" - interesting to note how we change/learn/grow as writers over the years. The bad habits I had are making me cringe now).

What I'll probably do is give agents a long break from seeing my name, revise said book, then send it out next summer. Worth a shot.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Amarie, thanks for the link.

I get the feeling a lot of the anti-traditional publishing ranters don't get the context of traditional publishing -- it's a business. Editors report to publishers, who report to CEO's who report to corporate masters who don't always understand publishing.

Sometimes I get the feeling people are furious because they expected their publishers to make them bestsellers, or at the very least, treat them like princesses. (Well, only a few people can be bestsellers, right?)

Also, seems to me she's misleading because self-publishing is not the panacea because, well, there is no panacea. It's all hard and requires a certain amount of luck and/or lots of patience.

Last edited:

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, Steve, on getting through your revisions!
I have 100 pages to edit on my current work and I'm done. I'm hoping to do 20 pages per day (after work) and have it complete by the weekend, though I'm suspecting it'll be a lot more work as I near towards the end (I normally rush the last few chapters in the first drafts, lol).

I originally read this as "I have 1000 pages to edit" and thought, whoa! LOL.

Also, seems to me she's misleading because self-publishing is not the panacea because, well, there is no panacea. It's all hard and requires a certain amount of luck and/or lots of patience.

This.

(((Cricket))) (((Chelsea)))

T-minus one day until my face-to-face meeting with agents tomorrow. First time I'll be meeting them (Sr. and Jr. agent) in person.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Teri, I think you're right about expectations--one of the recurring themes in the book I read was that the author expected to have enough money out of the gate to write full time. Unfortunately for most of us the reality is keeping the day job...

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
. I had no idea you could even comment on reviews and I can't understand why an author would bother. It doesn't do any good and just makes people angry. It certainly won't make them change their review.

This may be a case where it would be better just to stay quiet and concentrate on writing.

Agree. The nastiest response to a bad review I ever saw was here. Though I bet there are way nastier. This struck me as particularly antagonistic:

"...If you ever have the desire to reach me to discuss how much you think my book sucks please feel free to do so @..."

o_O WTF? Just...W...T..F??! Who says something like that??

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Someone from a publisher I queried with a picture book just visited every page of my site today! Now I get to be nervous. Thing is, they are non-responders so I may never hear anything at all. If I don't, I'll console myself by chalking it up to a "close" because they were interested enough to look up my website. And in the meantime, I'll be stalking Google Analytics to see if anyone else at the publisher looks me up...

And boy, do I feel foolish even speculating. Curse you, Google Analytics! Snappy and Steve and any other NYC Pitizens, you know that you make all your fellow writers insane whenever you visit our sites, right? Rationally, we know that millions of people live in NYC, and not all of them are editors or agents, but still...

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
(((Cricket))) (((Chelsea)))

Knock 'em dead, Snappy!

Hester I used to entertain dreams of getting that huge advance/quitting my job to write. Then reality came knocking and told me otherwise :ROFL:

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Kell, sorry. LOL. I will warn when I visit next time. If it makes you feel better, I go equally insane, and it turns out to be just a friend from the neighborhood visiting my site.

ETA: Thanks, Soul!

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Thanks for the link, Amarie.

Good points, Terri & Hester. SP isn't the panacea because nothing is, and many of the rants make good points but it gets lost in the venom.

Trad Pubs deserves their criticism, but the ultimate criticism is the bottom line and how they deal with the current landscape.

I still maintain that the Trad Pubs biggest problem is that they haven't found out how to make the book production process less expensive, from the cost of paper to warehousing to delivery services. In every other industry, companies find ways to lessen manufacturing costs. V3r0nica R0th had a great blog post awhile back about the step-by-step process of how a physical book gets made from when the author turns in the draft until the book hits the shelf and you can see that, "Wow, they have to find a way to stream line this and make it cheaper."

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Curse you, Google Analytics!

Oooh - I don't know about this yet. Pray tell, what is it and how do I access it? (<---probably will wish I had never asked, lol).

Very cool, though, about the publishers possibly checking you out that way -- here's hoping it means something good!!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Me too, soul! :D

And what is this Google Analytics of which you all speak? Not that I need anything else to obsess about...

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Google Analytics is a free service -- you just need a Google account, and you register your blog or site, and it tells you how many visitors you get, from where, what provider, how they got to your site, what they do. Hardly anyone visits my blog so it's depressing to get zero or one visitor per day, but I mostly have the blog so that if a publisher or industry person wants to find me, I exist.

https://www.google.com/analytics/

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Sounds a bit like Sitemeter (which I use for my blog), except that maybe you can also use it for Facebook and other pages?

Sitemeter drives me crazy too, lol - I perk up anytime I get a NY visitor. It's awful.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much Snappy and kellion! LOL Snappy on the warning :D.

SteveCordero

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Looks like things were a little rough in here yesterday. I'm still keeping my head down until the fiscal year end arrives. But maggotinis are on me today.

Are you bathing in maggotinis under the couch, or are you handing them out?

I was wondering about the maggotini pool renovations in The Pit

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Kellion, so true about the NYC hits!

Steve, we have a pool?

So my do-I-email dilemma has been solved in the obvious way. It's lunch break. I have an epiphany about the SNI - yes! I start to write it down... and that (1) shows up in my inbox. Agent got back back to me on revisions. Sometimes I feel like the gods are laughing at me. :rolleyes:

At least she feels like we're making progress, though she wants me to up the stakes more still. <insert head explosions here>

Status
Not open for further replies.