So sloooooow

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay I guess I'm tired :) When I just looked at this post I thought it was "If you like write or die, check out" as in bug off, get lost. Didn't even see the hyperlink at first - I'm thinking "What did I say???? Did I piss someone off? Are they going to go all Scarlet Peaches on my kiester?"

No, no, we like our little buddies in Maine. We wouldn't let Peachy get you. ;)

MM

Elvirnith

Dark Lord
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronaldcraft.com
Based on my experience, the MySQL queries seem to be just taking an excessive amount of time to complete. Could be high load/disk I/O, or just the database needing some work. There's always a lot of factors that it could be in these cases. Looking at the HTTP headers, this forum is only running on Apache? Are you guys running anything else for caching?

If not, with a forum this size, you really need it. An OPCODE cache would go a long ways for one. Then, there's also Nginx or Lighttpd which will let you squeeze a lot more performance out of the server.

This is on a dedicated server right?

If you haven't figured it out yet, I do this stuff for a living. I'm system admin by trade. Should you guys need any help, let me know, and I'll be happy to help out. I don't expect you to grant me back end access to the database or anything, but I can give some tips.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hi Ron - we've actually discussed using something for caching (you're right, we're not, right now) and the database does need some work. I might very well be PMing you to pick your brains. Thanks for the offer!

Elvirnith

Dark Lord
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ronaldcraft.com
Hi Ron - we've actually discussed using something for caching (you're right, we're not, right now) and the database does need some work. I might very well be PMing you to pick your brains. Thanks for the offer!

No problem! This forum is a major hub for writers of all kinds, including myself, so I'm happy to contribute in any way I can to help out.

M. Chandler

out in left field
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mchandler.org
And here I was joking with some friends that it was the ParaDon guy carrying out his threatened 'cyber attack'. :evil

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Ah, well it is almost a relief that something is wrong because I was starting to wonder if something was hacking my bandwidth as its been real slow for me on both my machines. Whew!

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
...snip

If you haven't figured it out yet, I do this stuff for a living. I'm system admin by trade. Should you guys need any help, let me know, and I'll be happy to help out. I don't expect you to grant me back end access to the database or anything, but I can give some tips.

No problem! This forum is a major hub for writers of all kinds, including myself, so I'm happy to contribute in any way I can to help out.

And this, right here, is why I love this site so much that I'm willing to kick what money I have towards keeping it going.

All of you, you are the bestest in the whole widest woild!

:hooray: :snoopy: :Hug2: :kiss:

Last edited: