What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitty Black

Slowly circling the drain....
Registered
Reaction score
Just read the first 50 pages of THE DUFF last night!
I read the Duff last week. Totally surprised by how entertaining it was. A little heavy on the curse words (especially from POV of 17 yr old girl), but read it in one evening. Loved the ending: "We're all f*ing Duffs." Believable characters and dialogue IMO.

K.C. Robertson

Sitting underneath my laptop
Registered
Reaction score
most likely either a coffeehouse or my office
Website
procrastinationpartyofone.wordpress.com
I have Beautiful Creatures queued up right after I finish Hush, Hush. I'm way behind times on getting around to reading Hush, Hush, but I hadn't been in the mood for raised blood pressure. I read Twilight at about this time of year too. There must be something about the approach of fall weather that makes me read books where the female protagonists fall all over themselves for the guy that, in every line of narrative, makes them deeply frightened and uncomfortable. I almost threw Hush, Hush at the wall four times last night, and I'm not quite a third of the way through it.

KittyBlack, I loved Shiver too!

Last edited:

emma_kate

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure I've heard a single person say that they absolutely loved it. I'll be skipping that one, I think. Plenty of GREAT books to read. :D

No - I loved it!!! Absolutely adored it, one of the best books I've read this year.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Mine's courtesy of Penguin too, lawl. So far, I'm enjoying it more than the other paranormals I've read. Although I have some beef with the character motivation, and the fact that some of MC's behaviour is OTT.

I don't think the voice is inherently un-male, like others have, so far.
I'm surprised you've heard that it's un-male, since I've only heard people tout it as a great male POV.

I just listened to it on audiobook (so it sounded really male to me, lol). I don't know what OTT is, but I did have some motivation issues with the book too, even though I enjoyed it overall.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Stolen. My only complaint is that it's not long enough; it was over much too quickly. ;)

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Okay, I won't take it completely off my books-to-read list, but it has been bumped down a bit. :)

To be safe Smish, I suggest you get it from your library. I was kind of disappointed I had spent money on it.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised you've heard that it's un-male, since I've only heard people tout it as a great male POV.

I just listened to it on audiobook (so it sounded really male to me, lol). I don't know what OTT is, but I did have some motivation issues with the book too, even though I enjoyed it overall.

A couple of reviews I read seemed to think that Ethan wasn't too masculine bc he wasn't interested in the other girls at school (like Emily, who supposedly seems 'hotter' than Lena? Idk. It was just like one or two reviews on goodreads, lawl) etc. But I think that's just a personality thing -- not all guys are going to be attracted to the same kinds of girls. So, I don't know what was really up with those reviews -- they made me think Ethan was like a mangina, which I can see that he isn't now that I'm reading the book.

The OTT was when he nearly runs over Lena at the start and he's all like "You're HER". I was like "Unsubtle, much?" But I think that may just be me liking more reserved characters.

Annnd, I've put down Beautiful Creatures again. To read Raw Blue by Kristy Eager, which I've heard great things about. So far, it's AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING.

ETA: I didn't enjoy Hush, Hush very much. I can see why other people did -- it has voice, the characterisation is fairly good. But I never, ever believed the relationship between Patch and Nora so the book just fell apart for me. Also, yeah, it did have a creepy-stalker vibe about it. So if you don't like those types of books, you probably won't like it.

Last edited:

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Annnd, I've put down Beautiful Creatures again. To read Raw Blue by Kristy Eager, which I've heard great things about. So far, it's AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING.

I cant get into Beautiful Creatures for some reason?

And HOW GOOD IS RAW BLUE?

I couldnt put it down - it was mesmerising and nail-biting and beautiful and gave me little pools of anxiety in my gut.

And - so PUMPED your loving it as I dont know anyone else who has read it! Doesnt help that it;s hard to track down even though it was only released last year...

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
I JUST (well, like half an hour ago) finished it. I literally just sat down and inhaled the book -- it is so, so, so good. Gah, the characters -- I loved all of them so, so much. And the prose! The prose! Wow, she has a way with words. My newest book love, definitely. You're totally right about it being mesmerising.

And YES about it being hard to track down. I've been trying to find it for months, having a look in bookstores whenever I go and what-not, and it's NEVER there. But yesterday I was at this bargain place, and they had it. It was pretty awesome :)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, I mean, I don't know what OTT means. And I still can't figure it out.

My main problem with BC (though I liked it) was that it was basically a repetition of 5 plot (or narrative) points with slight variations on them. Also, one of them, is the reason why I couldn't pick up the novel as a novel, but could get through it as an audiobook. I got really tired when I was previewing the novel of hearing about how Southern the town was. And Ethan told us A LOT. At some point it's like, Okay, we get it. You can SHOW us without telling us from now on and we will understand that it's the way the town is (and always has been and always will be).

Last edited:

K.C. Robertson

Sitting underneath my laptop
Registered
Reaction score
most likely either a coffeehouse or my office
Website
procrastinationpartyofone.wordpress.com
I didn't know either, so I've been looking it up. After some time with google, I'm guessing it means Over The Top? Maybe? If that's right, I'd love confirmation.

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score

Lawl it does mean over the top. I shoulda guessed that's what you didn't get (and apparently everyone else, too), it took me five years of high school to learn that one :)

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading 'Beautiful Creatures' right now, but I'm not sure if I'll finish it. It's a little boring and... something else. I'm not quite sure what it is yet. I'm going to try and see if it gets any better. If not then I'll move on to the next book I have in line.

inkspatters

Registered
Reaction score
I read five more pages of Beautiful Creatures and then put it down again to re-read CHOKE by Chuck Palahniuk (which is obviously not YA, but you know).

Next on my list is Octavian Nothing -- yes, I still haven't read it. I've decided to read Beautiful Creatures when I'm on a plane, so my attention can't wander haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.