Out of the Shadows...

theDolphin

Aquarius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrockwell.com
I've been an on and off lurker on Absolute Write for a few years. As I was writing my first novel, every so often I'd type a question into Google and one of your threads would pop up. Invariably, I enjoyed and appreciated what I read, but rather than signing up, I would slip back into the shadows and work. Today, as I began chapter two of my second novel, the same thing happened again. I determined that it was karmic. Or cosmic. Or something--and decided to finally come in and say hello.

Hello! :D

As I said above, I've finished my first novel, a somewhat provocative work of historical fiction. Currently my agent is shopping it around, and I am here biting my nails and trying to focus on the sequel. Really look forward to participating here at long last and getting to know you guys.

Last edited:

TomW22

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! Thanks for replying to my newbie thread! Yeah having access to a resource like this will definitely be a big help.

Historical fiction eh? Can you give us any more hints on the setting? Obviously I understand if you can't!!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Hello theDolphin! :welcome: to the Water Cooler!

N.P. Browning

Registered
Reaction score
Hi and welcome aboard! If you have an agent, then you've already won half the battle. :D Good luck!

theDolphin

Aquarius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrockwell.com
Hi Tom, LY, drzimo and N.P! :D

Thanks so much for saying hello, guys. It's always a bit nerve-wracking posting that initial post and it's really nice to see friendly faces.

Tom, I'd be happy to give you some more info. One never knows how much to say, so it's actually very nice to be asked.

The novel is set in the U.K in the latter half of the 8th century. Most of it takes place in what's now northern Wales, though some of it takes place in what's now Scotland. Settings range from a lively village tavern, to an early Motte and Bailey castle, an English manor house and the eerie majesty of an abandoned Roman fortress. The places are real, but the primary characters and story are entirely fictitious.

N.P., Thanks man. It's still stressful as hell, but I will say that the one major plus to having an agent is being able to let go of some of the weight of trying to sell, and refocus on the actual writing.

theDolphin

Aquarius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrockwell.com
Hiya Layla, Tepelus and Bonhellutations Talok! :)

Tepelus, historical fantasy sounds like wonderful fun!

Look forward to seeing you all around the boards!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome and congratulations on getting an agent. I hope your book finds a home.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Don’t forget to read the FAQ regarding posting pictures at AW.

In fact, we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Hello and welcome, on-off lurker from Syracuse. Nice little web site.

theDolphin

Aquarius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrockwell.com
Wow! You guys are amazing. I think this is the most responses I've ever gotten to a personal intro on a forum, and I notice that it seems to be the norm here. It's really lovely that you make everyone feel so welcome. Thanks to everyone and hello! I look forward to getting to know you.

Welcome and congratulations on getting an agent. I hope your book finds a home.

Thanks Ryan! I read your latest blog entry and really enjoyed it. I love first drafts too. :) And definitely don't give up!

Hello and welcome, on-off lurker from Syracuse. Nice little web site.

Hey, thanks Rob. I'm glad you liked it. Built it myself. GoogleSites rules. :)

Well hello there lurker...Best of luck with the sequel

Love your title, Griffin : Samurai Wordsmith! Thanks for the well wishes. Going to spend my day researching Saxon pagan faith and and early Celtic Christianity. lol Hey, it's so much better than punching a clock though, isn't it?

Last edited:

CALVIN M

Registered
Reaction score
theDolphin. Karmic...Cosmic...Not sure about that. I actually think it was the peanut butter trail Marty and I have been leaving. It comes up to and circles around the water cooler.

One of my better ideas. If I must say so. We still haven't caught that mouse yet, but it sure has lots of people drinking water. People shooting the breeze...smacking there lips, tounges licking the roofs of their mouths for hours.

I guess the plate of crackers helped as well.

Rudy always said that the floor was so clean you could eat off of it, and well...

Hope you enjoy your stay...Oh and don't forget to attend the "Lurkers" orientation briefing where you'll learn all about the 50 posts, forums, etc.

Or you could just skip all that and just go to the SYW forum where you can just dig right in and polish up your critiquing skills.

Anyways take care...gotta go...I see another lurker just coming through the door.

Calvin M.