I feel like I should blog, but my head is an empty toilet.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
^ I don't see why not. Toilets are something of a necessity, you know? Sure, people are uncomfortable around them sometimes, but no one wants to live without one! Brains are the same way. Put 'em together and you've got yourself a novelty. The Shake and Bake people would be jealous.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
How did I miss this thread before?

Of course you should blog! And if you need any suggestions for topics I'd be happy to voluntary some, such as: "How to be a Bigger Asshole: Tips and Hints from the Master" and "MAXIMUM WEIRDNESS, is it right for you?"

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
slhuang: I wanna comb Bu's butthair!!!

....um....
little ming: "How to be a Bigger Asshole: Tips and Hints from the Master" and "MAXIMUM WEIRDNESS, is it right for you?"

Putputt: *bows to the master of Assholishness*
I would follow your blog, buz. No gags coming from me unless you need one.

For kalli, I mean.

:)

Last edited:

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
^ I don't see why not. Toilets are something of a necessity, you know? Sure, people are uncomfortable around them sometimes, but no one wants to live without one! Brains are the same way. Put 'em together and you've got yourself a novelty. The Shake and Bake people would be jealous.

Oh, I don't know that it's a novelty :D

How did I miss this thread before?

Of course you should blog! And if you need any suggestions for topics I'd be happy to voluntary some, such as: "How to be a Bigger Asshole: Tips and Hints from the Master" and "MAXIMUM WEIRDNESS, is it right for you?"

I'm pretty sure "How to Be a Bigger Asshole" is the sort of thing that you would write, though. Clearly I suck at it. More'n you anyway. :p As you have stated NUMEROUS times.

NUMEROUS.

Although you did give me an idea...;)

I would follow your blog, buz. No gags coming from me unless you need one.

For kalli, I mean.

:)

Well, Kalli usually does need one, but I don't think she'll touch it. I think she's still filled with uncontrollable disdain for me after reading the first ten-or-so chapters of my crappy book...:p

Thank you, kkbe :D

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure "How to Be a Bigger Asshole" is the sort of thing that you would write, though. Clearly I suck at it. More'n you anyway. :p As you have stated NUMEROUS times.

NUMEROUS.

Although you did give me an idea...;)

If you work hard one day you too can be a Big Asshole. :D

Hey look, there's the title for your blog post.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
But I like Brain Made of Toilet. Great blog name!

I haz blog. You can make a blog and just steal all my posts. But I'll warn you, I mention weasels a lot, and rabid wombats.

buz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Erm...hello folks.

I...I tried something.

I need...feedback? I wasn't sure if taking up space in the feedback thread or this particular thread was more appropriate...so...mods may smack me down if this is not meet. *shy shuffle*

Anyway. I'm concerned about a) the nature of the images I'm using and b) the overall appearance and c) whether I just come off stupid.

As far as a) goes, I have a combination of old-timey images and my own hastily-dashed-off doodles. I'm not sure I like the combination of the two, and am wondering if I should just pick one for consistency. I'd probably end up with just old-timey images, just because I don't like producing crappy drawings but it takes way too long to make multiple nice ones... But drawing things allows me to do stuff like include pictures of a baby with an anglerfish head. Urgh.

I dunno. Is it overkill? Is it a mess? Are the drawings too shitty to be worth it or are they fun?

Then there's b)...I really like how it looks overall, but I'm not sure I like the "you must click on individual posts to see the posts in their own page" setup. Is it annoying or is it fine?

c), I think, is pretty self-explanatory. :p

Halp. I am a noob lewser.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
a) If you discontinue your illustrations, I might get pregnant.

b) Your stupid evil charity gives me hope for the world. I like having options. Other civilizations may vary in their opinions.

c) More importantly, if you don't write more of this, I will turn into a gerbil.

:D

Does not know what she's doing, indeed...

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
^.

Plus, this blog might save the world.

If you do decide to choose between old-timey stock pix and your own doodles, I vote for the doodles.

Also, change it up to suit yourself. People change their blogs all the time. It belongs to you. Go forth and make glorious posts and other kinds also.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Holy crapsauce. It is already my favorite blog in the world. And, just for the record, Mr. Putt read the duck post and said, "Um, forward me the blog address."

ETA: You drew all that shit??!! *omgz I am in so much fucking awe holy crap*

Last edited:

buz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay then...:D

I suppose if I decide the crappiness of the doodles annoys me, I'll just make myself draw better. ;)

Thanks, all. :D

Pearl

Registered
Reaction score
First off, I'm glad I'm not the only who gets my ideas from other blogs and this forum. I feel like I'm being totally unoriginal when I do that!

Here's what I do when I think of ideas for my blog: I make a list of topics that probably should be discussed. I've created a spreadsheet and made categories (self-publishing, writing, vampires, other things) and each time I do an idea, I cross it out. It helped get my brain working on other ideas I eventually wrote about.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Fuck, Bu.

I feel like I can't blog anymore now. No way to compare to that. What the hell, ruining the Internet for the rest of us with your awesomeness.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Erm...hello folks.

I...I tried something.

I need...feedback? I wasn't sure if taking up space in the feedback thread or this particular thread was more appropriate...so...mods may smack me down if this is not meet. *shy shuffle*

Anyway. I'm concerned about a) the nature of the images I'm using and b) the overall appearance and c) whether I just come off stupid.

As far as a) goes, I have a combination of old-timey images and my own hastily-dashed-off doodles. I'm not sure I like the combination of the two, and am wondering if I should just pick one for consistency. I'd probably end up with just old-timey images, just because I don't like producing crappy drawings but it takes way too long to make multiple nice ones... But drawing things allows me to do stuff like include pictures of a baby with an anglerfish head. Urgh.

I dunno. Is it overkill? Is it a mess? Are the drawings too shitty to be worth it or are they fun?

Then there's b)...I really like how it looks overall, but I'm not sure I like the "you must click on individual posts to see the posts in their own page" setup. Is it annoying or is it fine?

c), I think, is pretty self-explanatory. :p

Halp. I am a noob lewser.
I went, I read, I loved it. I'm not a regular blog follower, but the duck thing was both educational and entertaining. And, if drawing of the octopus half-way through the Thera post was yours, it was great. I mean, I could tell it was an octopus, a better octopus than I could ever draw! I'd go with a blend of old illustrations, and your own work. Adds variety, and lets you illustrate modern objects, and things that are hard to find ready-made out-of-copyright stuff for.

The 'click on post to see it on it's own page' seems fine, saves having to wade through everything, (no big deal now, with only 3 posts, but it will make things easier when you have a lot of posts. Say a person prefers your historical posts, they can just look at them, without having to scroll through everything.

And you have cool ideas and interesting thoughts. The world is full of fascinating things, bring them to us! Keep up the good work!

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Ok, basic impressions here, and only one woman’s opinion and all that.

First, visuals. It’s not clean. I love the drawings, please don’t lose the drawings, but on the homepage the background image vs the recent posts is kinda giving me a sensory migraine. If you love it, keep it, but you may want to play around with other themes, and look for one that lets you have all of your images in a less one on top of the other way. And I don’t like the bleed through from your background image into your text box, but that’s personal opinion.

On your post pages there is no “home” button. This may seem silly. But you can just hit the back browser! You seem to ask. Not if I got to your post about Duck Genitals by googling, and then I fall so in love with it because the content is awesome that I want to bookmark your home page. How do I get to your home page? I’m too incredibly stupid to notice that the title is a home link! I can’t! Arrrrrrggggh!

You probably just haven’t gotten to this point yet, but you need to play with your widgets. (And my, doesn’t that sound naughty!) I’ve fallen madly in love with Duck Genitals, but I have no button to share to facebook, or tumblr, or any such place. Sure, I could open a facebook post, copy paste the link, blah blah blah, but I am like millions of internet users and I am supremely lazy! If there’s no clicky button, I will probably not share it.

Related to the clicky buttons is a Wordpress button that states “Press This.” I also have a Wordpress blog, one that still has increased users from being freshly pressed. I could so cross-press Duck Genitals and try to get you a few views, but there is no clicky button thingy!

This is also probably a paid blog thing and may not have a fix, but I hate that I can’t simply leave a reply because I’m logged in on Wordpress. Despite being in the community, I have to put in my email and blah! Not one click easy like lazy girl wants it!

There is also no “follow” button, other than email. Wordpress is a huge community. Many other WP users may wish to follow your blog. Now, I know that since my site is free, the follow feature automatically shows up. I don’t know diddly ‘bout the pay blogs, but I think another AW person found a way to add a “follow” clicky to his paid blog. You should look into it. It’s the best way to get repeat traffic.

Speaking of which, if you are looking for traffic, cross posting is cool and easy. When I post, it automatically posts to my facebook. I also set up a Tumblr account, and it ended up doubling my amount of early readers. I don’t twitter much due to lack of smart phone, but I hear that generates traffic as well.

That’s a whole lot of stuff. Let me end by sharing what I like. Love the content! Love the background image, just not where it is. Love the drawings, and the post style that lets you chose exactly where to put images and image size. And I love the name of the blog.

Wow. You ask for first impressions and I wrote a novel. Please feel free to ignore hyper woman with a bent for being over-helpful.

buz

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. You ask for first impressions and I wrote a novel. Please feel free to ignore hyper woman with a bent for being over-helpful.

Um, well, I hadn't considered any of those things. So. :D :D Thankee!

I am really bad at teh social media and Sharing and Following and everything. *is an innernet doofus*

I imagine it will take me a while to figure it all out, but your small novel really helps. :e2arms:

Patrick.S

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, basic impressions here, and only one woman’s opinion and all that.

First, visuals. It’s not clean. I love the drawings, please don’t lose the drawings, but on the homepage the background image vs the recent posts is kinda giving me a sensory migraine. If you love it, keep it, but you may want to play around with other themes, and look for one that lets you have all of your images in a less one on top of the other way. And I don’t like the bleed through from your background image into your text box, but that’s personal opinion.

On your post pages there is no “home” button. This may seem silly. But you can just hit the back browser! You seem to ask. Not if I got to your post about Duck Genitals by googling, and then I fall so in love with it because the content is awesome that I want to bookmark your home page. How do I get to your home page? I’m too incredibly stupid to notice that the title is a home link! I can’t! Arrrrrrggggh!

You probably just haven’t gotten to this point yet, but you need to play with your widgets. (And my, doesn’t that sound naughty!) I’ve fallen madly in love with Duck Genitals, but I have no button to share to facebook, or tumblr, or any such place. Sure, I could open a facebook post, copy paste the link, blah blah blah, but I am like millions of internet users and I am supremely lazy! If there’s no clicky button, I will probably not share it.

Related to the clicky buttons is a Wordpress button that states “Press This.” I also have a Wordpress blog, one that still has increased users from being freshly pressed. I could so cross-press Duck Genitals and try to get you a few views, but there is no clicky button thingy!

This is also probably a paid blog thing and may not have a fix, but I hate that I can’t simply leave a reply because I’m logged in on Wordpress. Despite being in the community, I have to put in my email and blah! Not one click easy like lazy girl wants it!

There is also no “follow” button, other than email. Wordpress is a huge community. Many other WP users may wish to follow your blog. Now, I know that since my site is free, the follow feature automatically shows up. I don’t know diddly ‘bout the pay blogs, but I think another AW person found a way to add a “follow” clicky to his paid blog. You should look into it. It’s the best way to get repeat traffic.

Speaking of which, if you are looking for traffic, cross posting is cool and easy. When I post, it automatically posts to my facebook. I also set up a Tumblr account, and it ended up doubling my amount of early readers. I don’t twitter much due to lack of smart phone, but I hear that generates traffic as well.

That’s a whole lot of stuff. Let me end by sharing what I like. Love the content! Love the background image, just not where it is. Love the drawings, and the post style that lets you chose exactly where to put images and image size. And I love the name of the blog.

Totally going to steal some of this advice!

Goose12

Registered
Reaction score
I really have the same problem. Even when I do have something to say, it feels really boring to me when I actually type it out. Plus I have so little free time, I'd rather use it to work on my book than a blog at this point.