My Very Personal, Hard Fought Accomplishment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I love going to Ikea to write in all of their rooms. No one bats an eye and there are free cookies!
I've read about those residencies that Amtrak offers writers. That would be phenomenal! Even just buying an Amtrak ticket somewhere to spend one night and get back on the train the next day would be incredible. A day out, a day there, and a day back.

I wonder if there's a series of short stories in there somewhere... "Scenes from Ikea..."

As for the Amtrak, I would absolutely love that. There were some concerns at first from a number of writers about the rights granted for submissions, I haven't heard how that worked out. There's a thread somewhere around here about that event.

I think the isolation and time to write can be great. Last month I had my own, personal, writer's retreat -- I went to a cabin up in the mountains and scheduled nothing but writing time. It worked out pretty good -- but was way too short. My mind tends to wander to the next thing I need to do, so I need a long period of time with nothing else scheduled to really get into great writing for me!

Best of luck with your writing now that you have time for it!

Fictional Cowboy

Life is short. Live with purpose.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again for support and encouragement everyone. In the future, when I'm having a bad day, I know I can come back to this thread to find some motivation and inspiration. That's no small thing.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if there's a series of short stories in there somewhere... "Scenes from Ikea..."

As for the Amtrak, I would absolutely love that. There were some concerns at first from a number of writers about the rights granted for submissions, I haven't heard how that worked out. There's a thread somewhere around here about that event.

I think the isolation and time to write can be great. Last month I had my own, personal, writer's retreat -- I went to a cabin up in the mountains and scheduled nothing but writing time. It worked out pretty good -- but was way too short. My mind tends to wander to the next thing I need to do, so I need a long period of time with nothing else scheduled to really get into great writing for me!

Best of luck with your writing now that you have time for it!

I don't know what it is but, I find Ikea hugely inspiring! As a matter of fact, I'm going there tomorrow if I feel better. I woke up today feeling sick. I haven't been sick in a long time because I stayed in my apartment for the last nine months! There wasn't anyone to GET me sick! I must have crossed paths with someone in the building who wasn't feeling well. I hate being sick. I fully admit to being a big, fat, poor me baby! I'm not a complainer and I don't whine about it but I'm definitely a big ol' baby!

I'll have to see if I can find that thread about Amtrak and the rights issue. Was Amtrak trying to claim rights to the work writer's created while on their train?

I went to a cabin up in the mountains and scheduled nothing but writing time.

That's my dream life. To live in a small log cabin in the mountains and make a living from my writing. I wanted to do this for my dream vacation, too but, after spending nine months alone in my apartment, I've started dreaming a little bigger! A cruise. That's my dream vacation. A four month cruise around the world and I would never ask for anything else again. Six months and I'll marry you. But, I'd settle for a seven day Canadian/Alaskan cruise. Heck, right now stick me on a Disney cruise! The idea of waking up, having nothing but time, beauty, writing, and ports of call on the agenda is the way to get me to squeal like a seven year old girl. Throw in that you have all of your food prepared for you, available around the clock, and just try to get my head out of the clouds.

Still, even though my time off was a struggle of epic proportions, it was time. And that was the best gift I received out of it all.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*snip*
I'll have to see if I can find that thread about Amtrak and the rights issue. Was Amtrak trying to claim rights to the work writer's created while on their train?
*snip*

Yes, more or less. The wording of the contract claimed more rights than people would reasonably want to assign to Amtrak. Details in the thread, but you'll have to look through it to find where that discussion started.

As I recall, where the discussion ended, we'd learned that Amtrak was reconsidering their contract language because a lot of authors were raising objections to it. I don't know what the outcome is however, or if it has been decided finally.

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, more or less. The wording of the contract claimed more rights than people would reasonably want to assign to Amtrak. Details in the thread, but you'll have to look through it to find where that discussion started.

As I recall, where the discussion ended, we'd learned that Amtrak was reconsidering their contract language because a lot of authors were raising objections to it. I don't know what the outcome is however, or if it has been decided finally.

Just... wow. I don't put up with such foolishness. It's nothing short of theft. The articles I read made Amtrak sound like they were offering such opportunities to give back to the community out of the kindness of their hearts. I am really sick of companies trying to take advantage of others. That's why I quit my job in the first place!

In light of the real story, I think anyone who signs any kind of contract for such an "opportunity" is a fool. If I want to take a trip on Amtrak to write my book, I'll buy my own ticket.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I could see a writing cruise as a thing, but I wonder if I'd be too distracted by all the "Stuff" that's available to do on the cruise. Maybe we should try and talk a cruise line into creating a "Writer's Cruise" where the cruise saves money and doesn't do any of the entertainment stuff -- instead, they just serve the meals while everyone writes... I'm betting that would be too much to ask for!

smalls

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your story, Cowboy! It's very inspiring. As is your other thread on writing vacations! You've got me googling lots of different possibilities. :)

I could see a writing cruise as a thing, but I wonder if I'd be too distracted by all the "Stuff" that's available to do on the cruise. Maybe we should try and talk a cruise line into creating a "Writer's Cruise" where the cruise saves money and doesn't do any of the entertainment stuff -- instead, they just serve the meals while everyone writes... I'm betting that would be too much to ask for!

This! Hell yes.

atthebeach

In my happy place
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oohhh I would love a Writer's Criuse. Beautiful scenery, relaxation, and all the time to write, with fresh air and no need to cook. One can dream...

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
That's a wonderful story and very inspiring. It took a lot of guts to stop meeting everyone else's expectations and start building your own goals and happiness. My mom always says that everything happens for a reason and I really believe that that's true.

I wish you a lot of luck with your writing goals. I responded to your thread about support for cozy mystery writers and I'm looking forward to hearing more about what you're doing.

Djuna

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
You write well. I'd usually bail out of a lengthy post like yours. Seems like you've got a knack for writing. G'luck. And kudos on making the right choice. That took a lot of character. As to the job status stuff all jobs are basically the same and equally important in their own way.

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
Best thing I've read all day! Crank out those stories and make your dream come true :)

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh thanks for sharing your experience. Life is really too short to be spent living up to the expectations of others. I wish you continued happiness in pursuing your passions :)

Fictional Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Again, thank you everyone for taking the time to read and respond. Reading your responses is some of the most encouragement I've had in a very long time. It's definitely fueled my fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.