Co-Author Query Letter Question

allysonbrianna

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I have finished the proposal for the nonfiction book that I have written with another author. Regarding the query letter and all correspondence, who's address and email should be used? Should a totally separate email address be made?
Thanks in advance.

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
That depends. Is one of you clearly the "lead"? Does one of you have more experience or more connections? If so, I'd use that person as the contact. But I would definitely create an email address together so that both of you can be informed along the way. It will help with communication between the two of you and hopefully avoid misunderstandings. Good luck! ~Karen

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Speaking as someone who has written with a co-author for years, I highly recommend you obtain a separate email for your joint writings. Make it at one of the sites that allow for large attachments (such as Google or Yahoo) and use a name that encompasses the partnership. Both of you should have equal access to it so you can check for responses separately and then forward rejections or acceptances to your separate emails.

You should also adopt a single P.O. Box for joint communication with publishers/agents. If you live in different cities, you just need to make sure the box is in the larger of the two cities for quick response times. :)