successful pod title: do agents care?

plunderpuss

Patron Saint of Sarcasm
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkshark.net
I'm inquiring on behalf of a very shy friend. :)

He's sold over 700 copies of his p.o.d. title, with minimal advertising (just his website and blog). I understand this isn't amazing success, but is nevertheless respectable by self-publishing standards.

When querying agents, should my friend include this mini-success? I realize self-publishing isn't a publishing credit on its own, but it seems to me that selling so many copies is a testament to his skill and his fan base (which is much larger than it appears, since if the book was commercially priced instead of $25 for a trade paperback from Lulu, it would sell even more quickly).

If so, how could it be phrased to be unobtrusive and make it clear that he knows this accomplishment doesn't make him the next Stephen King?

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
This is a great question for Nathan. My gut reaction is not to mention it. Is he querying the same project or is he querying a different one?

plunderpuss

Patron Saint of Sarcasm
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkshark.net
A different project. And I shall move my comment to Nathan's thread.

(I somehow missed there was an active agent thread. Hasn't that poor guy been answering our questions for going on two hundred years now? hehe Seriously, since like last May or something?)