Seeking advice: My story so far

AustinCBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
walkingwiththemailman.com
Hello all,

Along with a lot of other people, I really didn't know what I was getting into when I finished my first manuscript and said to myself, "Ok, now I just need to get an agent."

Just get an agent. Simple, right? Ha. I know better now. Anyway, I've got a finished manuscipt and have been sending out query letters to agents for, oh, about eight or nine months. I've had good responses. My best moment was when Laurie Abkemeier wanted to see my first three chapters, and then, when she said she was suprised at how much she enjoyed them, asked to see a full. In the end, she liked the writing, but wasn't sure there was enough pay off for the reader. So close. Uhg. Oh, well.

I landed another agent, but he proved to be the wrong guy. We weren't on the same page. So I moved on. I presently have an agent who has my full manuscript and my book proposal, but it's been over two months since I heard anything other than- Yes, I still have it. Sorry, I'm busy.

I would say that I have sent out a total of 50-60 query letters. Now I'm wondering this: Do you think it's time to try the publishers directly? Should a person only attempt to nail down a publisher when he/she has decided to forgo agents? I say "forgo" because I can almost imagine an agent not wanting to take you on if you have appealed to a number of publishers and have failed.

So what do you thinK? Should I keep going for agents or seriously consider going with a publisher directly? Is 50-60 query letters enough to call it quits? I know people have done many more, but I feel like I'm running out of agents who say that they are looking for nonfiction humor/memoirs.

Thanks for any thoughts. I'm a noob and need a fresh voice.

Austin

P.S. In case you are wondering, the book is called, "Walking with the Mailman." I'm a letter carrier and have chronicled my daily affairs in a humorous memoir-esk fashion. Think "The Life and Time of the Thunderbolt Kid." That was my model.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
If there are still agents for your genre, I'd keep trying them. They're still your best chance of getting into the bigger houses and if you do get an agent, any house you've queried is probably shut off to them. Wait until you've truly exhausted the list before you start on the publishers.

It seems to me there are lots of agents out there for your genre. Almost every agent whose blog I read seems to accept them (Kristin Nelson, Bookends, Nathan B. for example.)

Dragon-lady

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I would think you'd have a pretty open field with that kind of book. I'd have someone crit your query letter though to be sure it's as good as possible if you haven't.

ExposingCorruption

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Austin, I scratch my head when I see some of the serious nonfiction that the big houses have published. I say to myself that if the big houses go for this "light-weight" stuff in serious nonfiction, then my book should really do well.

If you look at some of the nonfiction humor/memoirs that are out there, and you think that yours is good by comparison, then keep plugging away with agents.

For what it's worth, I kept editing my manuscript for the longest time. I wrote the book proposal and I still kept editing it. I then began the query process and I am still editing the manuscript.

And Dragon-lady makes a good point. If you have a good book but it's not getting much attention, then maybe your query letter could use some work.

AustinCBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
walkingwiththemailman.com
Thanks

I appreciate the advice. I'll stick with the agent route for now. I need to exhaust that.

I'm pretty sure the query letter is solid. Out of the fifty or sixty agents I have queried, I have had five show interest. That doesn't seem bad. But you could say that I'm becoming impatient. Join the crowd, right?

One agent still has the full right now. That's certainly a good thing. But when ten weeks roll by and I don't hear anything, well, I begin to imagine a desk with a stack of papers rising into the air like a skyscraper with mine lost somewhere on the 44th floor. Untouched paper doesn't decompose like vegetables in a compost heap, right?

Thanks,

Austin

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
What did you do in response to the "payoff for the reader" comment?

Is there a substantial payoff? Does the book inspire, teach, affect them in some way? Why would someone want to read it? If an agent questioned that, editors will too.