From the road. Ara and Spirit

ara and spirit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theoasisofmysoul.com
My Dog Spirit [he really is not mine! we just live together...] and I have been on the road full time camping for a bit over 7 years now. Six of them in a tent with a motorcycle and a sidecar for him. Now [luxury!] a nice camper and we trailer the sidecar. [Also called a "hack" and its proper name is "Old Faithful". 320,000 +/- miles].

I will skip the reasons why we are on the road. I have kept a journal and photos since day one. Writing is my therapy. Never quite in proper English I must say as my maternal language is French and to make the matters worse, majored in 16th Century French Literature which has a total disregard for grammar. It just has to sound eloquent.

So three months ago, as we are now in Big Bend, Texas, I decided to sit tight and write our journal [yes, Spirit also writes] into a book. 900+ journal entries into 90,000 +/- words. What an interesting project it has been, still is as we are going through the second edit. Lucky me, I have a very good friend, a semi retired English teacher helping me with the edits and my blatant grammar errors.

Our journal is called TheOasisOfMySoul.com

and the book's title is

"Freedom on Both Ends of the Leash"

This will somehow [some way!] be the cover photo

i-8CdP9cH-M.jpg

Being computer illiterate [we have a webmaster for our journal, another good friend] I will probably have an agency like "Dog Ear" do it all including the formatting and so forth. At 65, I am not trying to make a carrier out of it, only sharing our past seven years including the beauty of this country we live in. Unintentionally the journal has had close to 3.5 million visitors which really shocks me most of the time. The sale of a few books might cover the costs of publishing and design in soft cover and whatever internet format books exists.

So there you have it... Why we are here and hopefully get some wisdom from your own words.

Stay well.
Ara and Spirit

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great photo. I'm wondering which one is Ara and which is Spirit. Both look to be capable bikers. :D

:welcome: to you both.

Last edited:

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Welcome to AW, ara and spirit! :welcome:

Sounds like you've been on an amazing journey. I'm sure the book is fascinating!

I'm also sure you'll love it here at AW. It is, imo, the best online writing community and resource around, bar none. Be sure to check out the Old Farts Thread, Tiki Bar and Infirmary when you get the chance.

See you around the boards! :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

ara and spirit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theoasisofmysoul.com
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

I think I did alright, except my photo galleries are on Smugmug. Is that OK?

Thanks.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Ara and Spirit, what an awesome story. I wish you all the best. You've definitely come to the write place. :D

My dad grew up in Big Bend country. So that brought me a smile.

And Spirit is growing thumbs. Cool!

Enjoy your explorations here; AW is a huge place, and there is much to be found and experienced here.
Welcome.

ara and spirit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theoasisofmysoul.com
Wow, Ara and Spirit, what an awesome story. I wish you all the best. You've definitely come to the write place. :D

My dad grew up in Big Bend country. So that brought me a smile.

And Spirit is growing thumbs. Cool!

Enjoy your explorations here; AW is a huge place, and there is much to be found and experienced here.
Welcome.

Thank You.
This is quite a space here. Hope you come and visit the area.
There was no free camping, so a few years back I bought ten acres for $100 an acre! [still is] Good winter spot with solar and water catchment... Couple more months and we will move on north towards Alaska and who knows where!

arduinna

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Ara! welcome from another newbie here :) sounds like you have an awesome story to tell! are you really heading to Alaska? not until summer I hope?! The AL-CAN highway gets pretty hairy in the winter!

ara and spirit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theoasisofmysoul.com
Welcome to AW, Ara and Spirit! :hi:

Thank You.

Hey Ara! welcome from another newbie here :) sounds like you have an awesome story to tell! are you really heading to Alaska? not until summer I hope?! The AL-CAN highway gets pretty hairy in the winter!

NOT NOW! Been there done that... We will leave in March, have to go to Florida first then up and on west...

Phoebs

Registered
Reaction score
Bienvenue Ara & Spirit! J'espère que vous aimerez la Water Cooler.
Les gens ici sont tous très sympa, je crois.
Aussi ça sonne comme vous avez une grande histoire à raconter.

Haha, that was my attempt to write French. I'm not as good at it as you are at English. :p
I'm new, too. Say hello and welcome to Spirit for me, since his thumbs aren't quite up to typing yet.

- Phoebs

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

:welcome:

AW is a huge place, and there's a lot of information to be found here. Take your time and browse around to get a feel of the various forums.

Here's a link to some of the most commonly asked questions in the FAQs, and another for the Absolute Write Dictionary. Also, a little reminder that if you're interested in receiving a critique of your work, there is a 50-post rule (and please don't rush towards that 50).

One last thing--don't forget to check out the Newbie Guide.

Enjoy your stay. :)

ara and spirit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theoasisofmysoul.com
Bienvenue Ara & Spirit! J'espère que vous aimerez la Water Cooler.
Les gens ici sont tous très sympa, je crois.
Aussi ça sonne comme vous avez une grande histoire à raconter.

Haha, that was my attempt to write French. I'm not as good at it as you are at English. :p
I'm new, too. Say hello and welcome to Spirit for me, since his thumbs aren't quite up to typing yet.

- Phoebs

Merci Phoebs

Je suis en balance maintenant apres la moitie de ma vie en France et d'autre pays. L'histoire que j'ai ecris! Sept ans sur la route.

My keyboard would have to be changed to write more in french!

How is NY? We must live at opposite ends. My nearest neighbor right now is five miles away. Solar, water catchment, generator... A bit different lifestyle.

Thanks for writing.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Welcome, Ara and Spirit! I am still smiling at Spirit's cool pose. There's a dog with a whole lot of character and poise.

I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW! :)

Looks like you're having awesome adventures! If only I could find a sidecar with bookshelves...

ara and spirit

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theoasisofmysoul.com
Welcome, Ara and Spirit! I am still smiling at Spirit's cool pose. There's a dog with a whole lot of character and poise.

I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Thank You. Yes, he is quite a character, and he knows it!

Welcome Ara. Is Spirit married? I love me some biker chicks.

He is taken... sorry! :)

Welcome to AW! :)

Thank You.

Looks like you're having awesome adventures! If only I could find a sidecar with bookshelves...

Sidecars are cool. I don't fall anymore either! Besides a couple printed books I always carry, most are in my phone!

Thank You.

Welcome to AW!

Thank You.

i-KZDG4tZ-S.jpg