should i hide my comedic work when querying serious literature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptyking

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to seal the deal on an adventure novel and a horror novel. I have decent sales on my self published ebook, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ASFRA78/?tag=absowrit-20 but I'm pretty sure most agents would drop a brick in their pants if they read past the description.

So far I haven't even mentioned it during queries.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Why would you hide something from people you're doing business with? That's simply a bad idea altogether.

If you had a lot of sales, like 10,000+, they might be interested. But otherwise, the sales don't really matter.
I'd tell them because: 1) it avoids problems down the road 2) they might want to create a pen name to establish a brand in a certain genre 3) it's being honest--if that novel is published under your real name, they will find out.

emptyking

Registered
Reaction score
My ebook is political satire.
Its insults all groups equally.
however, I doubt most agents, being part of a certain group of God's Chosen People's, would appreciate my take on their culture as per http://oi61.tinypic.com/200se1k.jpg

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Are you saying most agents are Jewish??

Considering my first name is as Semitic as you can get I can tell you there's not an automatic 'in' or 'out' if you're implying there's some sort of 'tribe'... But anything overtly racist, even if it's 'satire' probably would not go over well. However it would be better to disclose now than have it come out later...

readmikenow

Registered
Reaction score
Trust me when I tell you Jews can laugh at themselves. It just has to be funny and not wrapped around a hateful message. Wow...certain group of God's chosen people. Heard it described many ways but that's unique.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
My ebook is political satire.
Its insults all groups equally.
however, I doubt most agents, being part of a certain group of God's Chosen People's, would appreciate my take on their culture as per http://oi61.tinypic.com/200se1k.jpg

Agents are not part of God's People. Agents are gods. Be careful, lest you blaspheme against them.

On the other hand, I liked that piece you linked to. I don't think agents would mind it at all.

And if they do, it's no skin off my fore.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Trust me when I tell you Jews can laugh at themselves. It just has to be funny and not wrapped around a hateful message. Wow...certain group of God's chosen people. Heard it described many ways but that's unique.

My maternal grandfather's name was Isaac Solomon. He laughed more than anyone I knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.