Small time writer

Scolaidhe

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Well to introduce myself I will start off with the quick non-writer elements. I'm in the military. finishing up my associates in computer science, and a hockey fan (Go Bruins!).

Ok, to the fun stuff. I'm currently in the middle of writing a four part series that re-imagines vampires. It's more science based and as such: Fangs are gone, turning to ash in the sun...gone, blood as food, nope. Superpowers and immortality...still there, but explained and split among the different types of "vampires". Some of you may be asking how I can take the very essence of vampirism away and still call them that. Well let me explain. It's a disease, not some supernatural disease that is mysterious and unknown, but a man made illness called the Vorcino Virus. And I don't actually call them vampires, they simply call themselves The Infected while the outside world calls them vampires out of prejudice.

There are seven types of the infection which are associated with different colored rings in the iris of each infected person: Yellow represents the basic infection. No abilities, no major significance. Blue represents agility. They are able to move/run quicker than a normal person, but not instantaneously moving from one side of a room to the other. Green represents awareness. These people are able to sense another person's movements and react accordingly before the other person knows what is happening. Grey represents strength. These people have denser muscle mass and bones. Lifting cars or the like is out, but lifting a person off the ground is normal for them. Purple represents knowledge or influence. Those with purple rings retain knowledge very well and while they can't control another person's mind, they often out think a person and are able to convince that person to do what they want. Orange represents foresight and immanent death. Those with orange rings are dying from a brain tumor, but as their condition worsens they are able to see into the future. Often viewed as prophets and their word is taken as truth.

Then there is the Red rings. before I go into details about the Red rings, let me backtrack and explain a few things. The Vorcino Virus was once a natural virus that affected humanity, however, over many generations we became immune and it wasn't until a scientist was working on a cure for cancer that the Vorcino Virus returned to attack humanity. The virus is an STD that attacks a person's DNA structure and that is where the abilities come from. It depends on where the virus attaches itself and the genetic code a person's lineage has passed on. With all that in mind, the Red rings represent immortality. Only nine people in the entire world are capable of becoming immortals. In order to become an immortal both sides of a person's parentage must descend from the same source and that source must have been one of the original infected. (You guessed it, there's my cliche Dracula nod) Simply known as The Immortals, they are thought to only be legend. Only a prophecy exists that states how they will come into the world at some point.

The first book has been written and is in the process of being self published as we speak. The Chronicles of Erika Lorenz details this virus and how those infected with it deal with a series of oncoming purges, a lunatic on a vengeful rampage, and a war that will see either the enslavement of humanity or coexistence. The title of the first book is A Beast Within and should be out on Amazon here shortly.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. That sounds like a good premise for your story. Have you read The Passage by Justin Cronin? Some of your ideas made me think of that book, where there are Virals that somewhat resemble vampires.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

Nancyleeny

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Your work sounds like it is very well thought out. Are you going to out it up for critique eventually?
Nancy

sic_scripsit

l'il cat inna big tophat
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome 8^)

Your concept of a disease giving rise to vampirism reminds me of porphyria, a disease which is the supposed source of the vampire myth.

Shaba

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Great idea. It made me think of The Passage too as well as I Am Legend (book, not the movie).

msza45

New Fish; Stuck on the Dang Hook
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on putting the book out, and good luck.

jennmarie

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! Sounds like an exciting time for you! Keep us posted on how the self-publishing goes - I'm getting ready to do self-pub myself :) Good luck!

Scolaidhe

Registered
Reaction score
I have not read The Passage, but I will definitely look into it.

Scolaidhe

Registered
Reaction score
As far as critique goes, the first novel, A Beast Within, is currently out on Amazon and I would always take reviews of it. I am currently working on the second book in the series as well as a collection of short stories set in the same world. Those I would love to have critiqued before publishing.