RWA contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrs

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone or has anyone ever entered RWA's Goldenheart contest? Just wondering if it was worth it. Kind of expensive at $50 dollars an entry.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
The Golden Heart is pretty much the PREMIER romance writing contest, so many do feel it's worth it. The GH is so popular that they usually have to cut off entries at about 2,000 in order to find enough people to read the entries. The trick with entering the GH is that you have to have completed your manuscript to the best of your ability, because if you make the finals, they will expect you to forward the whole thing to them to prove it's done. But it's worth it to many people, because the finalists are very often noticed by publishers or agents while the judging is happening, and it's seldom a surprise to have a finalist or a winner show up in the "Debut Sales" a few months later! ;)

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Cathy is right, and there is tough competition but winners get some benefit from their status. Be wary though, if you enter be sure to follow every rule and every detail to avoid disqualification. I'm talking really minor sounding stuff, like font size and margins. Good luck!

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
The manuscript that became my second novel was a GOlden Heart Finalist. It didn't win, but that was okay by me - because I sold it at the conference before the awards ceremony. I also was a rare situation because I entered the contest, then sold my first book, then finaled in the Golden Heart.

Bear in mind that you get no feedback except for some scores. There are no comments. It is an expensive contest, but as the others have mentioned, it's the most prestigious contest in romance for unpublished writers.

Good luck!

Susan G.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Oh, and Robin, they're not as nitpicky on the margins and stuff after that fiasco a few years back. :) I mean, you should still follow the rules to the best of your ability, but don't sweat getting DQed because your margin is off by a quarter of an inch.

Susan G.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Susan Gable said:
Oh, and Robin, they're not as nitpicky on the margins and stuff after that fiasco a few years back. :) I mean, you should still follow the rules to the best of your ability, but don't sweat getting DQed because your margin is off by a quarter of an inch.

Susan G.

That's good to hear! I have never entered it, but felt so bad for those dis-q'ed. :)

lrs

Registered
Reaction score
Well now I'm intrigued, what happened a few years back?

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
lrs said:
Well now I'm intrigued, what happened a few years back?

Oh, a few years back things got majorally over-zealous with the RULES. Margins were measured, and if your margins weren't perfect, your entry was disqualified. Which lead to a huge outcry, because a LOT of people were disqualified. Now the contest is no longer quite that anal about margins. You're still expected to follow the rules, but the rules are not like that. :)

Susan G.

Susan Gable

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Inspiewriter said:
Which is good, because entrants want to be judged on the things an editor will be looking for. :)

Exactly! And I have yet to know an editor who got out a ruler, decided the margins were too small, and opted to reject the ms based on that.

<shaking head>

Susan G.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Susan Gable said:
Exactly! And I have yet to know an editor who got out a ruler, decided the margins were too small, and opted to reject the ms based on that.

<shaking head>

Susan G.

:shhhh!! Don't give them any ideas
EmoteROFL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.