Hot Buttered Rum

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
So it's cold and miserable and I'm out of beer anyhow and I really feel like one drink before bed so it seems like the perfect time to make up a hot buttered rum. Haven't had one since about this time last year so I'm overdue anyhow.

The first thing I do is boil water, then pour some into a coffee mug. Got to let it sit long enough to heat the mug, then toss it out.

Dump about a teaspoonful of brown sugar into the mug. You can use more or none at all if that's your preference. Pour a little of the boiling water into the mug and stir to dissolve. Then add a good jigger of dark rum--a good jigger being somewhat more than a jigger which is an ounce and a half as I recall.

Fill the mug with boiling water to about a half inch from the top. Add a pat of butter (remember those "pats" you used to get in restaurants before they started giving you the "whipped butter" which actually gives you less butter and more air?). Float one of those on top of your drink.

No. No margarine. SRSLY.

Now grind your nutmeg two or eleventy times over the floating butter to taste. Yes, you can use the canned scrap if you wish but it's not nearly as good.

Now sip the drink through the nutmeg topped butter.

Life's good, ain't it? :)

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Southern Living usually has a page of holiday drink recipes. I saw one the other day that might have a slightly different hot buttered rum recipes (but I'm not sure).

By the way, be sure not to drink nutmeg by itself with hot water.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Our friends used to keep homemade hot buttered rum goop in the freezer. It was similar in texture to ice cream, and she would melt it and mix it with rum and hot water. That stuff would really set you right after a long day of skiing. It was like a hot milkshake. With booze. I will see her at Christmas and try to wrangle the recipe from her.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
So it's cold and miserable and I'm out of beer anyhow and I really feel like one drink before bed so it seems like the perfect time to make up a hot buttered rum. Haven't had one since about this time last year so I'm overdue anyhow.

The first thing I do is boil water, then pour some into a coffee mug. Got to let it sit long enough to heat the mug, then toss it out.

Dump about a teaspoonful of brown sugar into the mug. You can use more or none at all if that's your preference. Pour a little of the boiling water into the mug and stir to dissolve. Then add a good jigger of dark rum--a good jigger being somewhat more than a jigger which is an ounce and a half as I recall.

Fill the mug to about a half inch from the top. Add a pat of butter (remember those "pats" you used to get in restaurants before they started giving you the "whipped butter" which actually gives you less butter and more air?). Float one of those on top of your drink.

No. No margarine. SRSLY.

Now grind your nutmeg two or eleventy times over the floating butter to taste. Yes, you can use the canned scrap if you wish but it's not nearly as good.

Now sip the drink through the nutmeg topped butter.

Life's good, ain't it? :)

Since it's -23 here and my furnace has been going non stop, I was with you right up til the bolded part - and then I got confuzzled. Am I to fill the mug up with rum? (and I'm thinking that amount of rum would certainly put enough hair on my chest to keep me warm the rest of the winter) but I know (and don't ask how) I can't drink that amount and still remain up right. More boiling water? Tea? (I think Chai tea would be really good.)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Since it's -23 here and my furnace has been going non stop, I was with you right up til the bolded part - and then I got confuzzled. Am I to fill the mug up with rum? (and I'm thinking that amount of rum would certainly put enough hair on my chest to keep me warm the rest of the winter) but I know (and don't ask how) I can't drink that amount and still remain up right. More boiling water? Tea? (I think Chai tea would be really good.)
Ah. Good catch. See, this is why I don't write cookbooks.

Yes, boiling water. Of course if you wanted to fill it up with rum, I'm not gonna stop you. :D

boozysassmouth

Warthog, skin is already thick.
Registered
Reaction score
Great recipe. I think when I go to my parents next weekend, I'll have my sister bring her dark rum to try this. Thank you for the recipe!

Deleted member 42

Hey

We're drinking this Right Now, though mine has a hint of nutmeg only (not a nutmeg fan).

OMG

This is going on The Christmas List right along with Smoking Bishop.

Thank you!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Thank you thank you thank you!

I know I'm more or less known for my affinity for Rumpleminz peppermint schnapps straight out of the freezer, but hey--it's too cold here for that now. I need a good hot drink.

And I've got a bottle of Bermudian rum in the basement! yay!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Great recipe. I think when I go to my parents next weekend, I'll have my sister bring her dark rum to try this. Thank you for the recipe!

Thank you thank you thank you!

I know I'm more or less known for my affinity for Rumpleminz peppermint schnapps straight out of the freezer, but hey--it's too cold here for that now. I need a good hot drink.

And I've got a bottle of Bermudian rum in the basement! yay!
Hey

We're drinking this Right Now, though mine has a hint of nutmeg only (not a nutmeg fan).

OMG

This is going on The Christmas List right along with Smoking Bishop.

Thank you!

My work here is finished. :D

Hope you all enjoy.

Ted? I want that Tom and Jerry recipe.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ted? I want that Tom and Jerry recipe.

Remember, you can also add a little cinnamon and/or cloves to the typical recipe.

And if you find the typical T&J too sweet (I do), you can use bourbon in place of the brandy.

I can barely drink a Brandy Alexander; it's just too sweet for me.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Remember, you can also add a little cinnamon and/or cloves to the typical recipe.

And if you find the typical T&J too sweet (I do), you can use bourbon in place of the brandy.

I can barely drink a Brandy Alexander; it's just too sweet for me.
Yet you can eat a whole peach cobbler. Weird.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And a whole blueberry pie!

I do have to have a glass of milk with a piece of pecan pie. It's so rich.

By the way, the T&J was supposedly invented in St. Louis. I think you can still find an honest one there in bars. That is, made the old-fashioned way.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's what many call a traditional recipe for a Tom & Jerry. I've never had one before and every Christmas I say I'm going to try one.

I know I'll be having a hot buttered rum this weekend, I hope, if all goes well.

That's more sugar than I remember being put in it, but I'm no expert. It's been a few years since I've made a T&J.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
That's more sugar than I remember being put in it, but I'm no expert. It's been a few years since I've made a T&J.
It does sound like a lot of sugar, but then again, you don't really use all that much batter per cup.

I've got to find Medievalist's recipe for Smoking Bishop. I'm sure she posted it here a year or five ago.

Reziac

Resident Alien
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.offworldpress.com
Lazy Man's Hot Buttered Rum:

1 large mug very hot water
1 packet Alpine brand apple cider mix
add dash of cinnamon in the packet, then add it to the water, stir well
add dollop of rum to taste
add large glob of butter

Yummy!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, here is a recipe for Smoking Bishop. I dont' know if it's the same one Medievalist posted however long ago, but it, and the variations they mention sound amazing. Awesome drinks may be the only good thing about winter.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mmmm....I have never had a hot alcoholic drink before--unless you count room temp beer, that is, so I'll look forward to trying this one night.

Thanks, pup!