• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] The Rights Factory Inc.

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I feel like I can speak now...the call came last Tuesday and it was indeed the call. I was offered representation by Alisha and I accepted...just signed all the paperwork this weekend and sent it off in the mail...so, I'm agented!

Alisha is really great and very excited about my novel which is wonderful to finally hear!

Anyway, just thought I would fill you all in!

Congratulations! :hooray:

Mia Moore

Brand spanking
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to those with requested fulls and to Angela on her new agent!
I just subbed using their online form. I did not receive a confirmation reply or anything. The page just changed to another one. Is this the norm?

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats AngelaA! That's amazing news!!

So, I tried querying through the online form, but when I clicked the button to submit it, it brought me instantly back to the main page. No confirmation page, no confirmation email...is this everyone else's experience or did I hit a glitch?

RidleyHavok

Registered
Reaction score
Seems like 2 of you had the same thing happened. I think it would be fine to email TRF and check. I don't remember whether I got a new page or not when I submitted. I know I didn't get a confirmation email, but I did get an email requesting sample chapters an hour or so later.
Hope that helps.

Drice

Registered
Reaction score
It appears the response time varies. I submitted a query via the web form on Sept 16. There was no confirmation page. Alisha Sevigny asked for a full ms on the 21st. Received a confirmation that the ms was received and that I should allow a few weeks for reading.

I am, as they say, rather excited and hopelessly hopeful.

Oh and congrats to RidleyHavok and AngelaA and fingers crossed for those who are being read and everyone else. This is the first fiction I've ever written and I'm having so much fun. (Functional specifications for a huge software project that got canceled doesn't really count for fiction, does it?).

RidleyHavok, your project is a YA Novel, I believe. @AngelaA... What is the genre of your book? Just trying to get a feel for the type of work being examined. Mine is a sort of crime fiction -- has a bit of nasty criminal behaviour and a trial and the MC spends an inordinate amout of time in jail awaiting trial... Of course she didn't do it!

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
Drice...love your avatar!

My novel is about witches and vampires...adult paranormal/urban fantasy. I think Alisha is looking for good writing and a story line that catches her attention...at least that's what her interviews say! She seems pretty open to any genre.

Drice

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Closest thing to my portrait I could find in the standard selection...

Not being a foranista, it was soooo hard to get that first post out. But now that I have two under my belt...

Phantom Writer

Dancing between good and evil...
Registered
Reaction score
I actually submitted to the online form on 9/7/09 and haven't heard back yet. No confirmation page and no confirmation email either... No response as of yet as well.

mcilpuf

Registered
Reaction score
I queried TRF a week ago and got a request (from Alisha) for the Full the same day. I sent it off (again, the same day) but have not heard that she got it. I see that Drice received receipt confirmation from her, so I'm wondering if I should contact her to make sure she got it or ? I just don't want to wait a month or so and find out she never got it, but on the other hand I don't want to bother her either.

Drice

Registered
Reaction score
Just to clarify, mcilpuf, I may not have received a confirmation for my submission had there not been another issue. Alisha provided a heads up to be careful of signing a contract without having agent representation.

I didn't mean to imply that acknowledgement of receipt was standard procedure. I feel privileged to know that she got my ms. I just wish that with all the technology available that there was some way of 'knowing' if a letter or submission actually got there. I feel for you. I have no idea of the status on any other submissions I have made to others except for the rejections.

mcilpuf

Registered
Reaction score
Just to clarify, mcilpuf, I may not have received a confirmation for my submission had there not been another issue. Alisha provided a heads up to be careful of signing a contract without having agent representation.

I didn't mean to imply that acknowledgement of receipt was standard procedure. I feel privileged to know that she got my ms. I just wish that with all the technology available that there was some way of 'knowing' if a letter or submission actually got there. I feel for you. I have no idea of the status on any other submissions I have made to others except for the rejections.

Thanks, Drice. I didn't think you necessarily implied that, I just wondered. I hope she did receive the full. My only experience with fulls (so far) is that I've received a quick received it email. This is the first where I didn't receive acknowledgment, so I wasn't sure whether to check or not. I guess the good part is that I do have fulls out and hopefully one of them gets an exciting response!

Good luck to you. :)

Drice

Registered
Reaction score
I posted a question in the Ask the Agent forum. "Is it normal to expect an ack email?"

It's probably a preference of the individual agent, but it would be a nice to be standard practice... It just seems to be the polite thing to do.

As far as sending an email for clarification of some point or simply enquiring whether requested material has been received, I would think that after a few days, it's going to be OK. But one never wants to rock the boat...

Good luck to you as well.

Lucky Lucy

Registered
Reaction score
On Sept. 8th I filled out the web query form. No acknowledgement of receipt. On Sept. 14 received an email from Alisha requesting full to be sent by email attachment. I've heard nothing yet but it's early days.

Last edited:

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Just submitted using the online form-rerouted to another page...

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
I queried for my YA urban fantasy on October 20th and got a request for a full on the 23rd. Alisha says to allow several weeks for reading as they are quite swamped at the moment.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone's had any dealings with Alison McDonald? I was told she is handling the YA/children's aspect of things from now on

Laura Lond

Registered
Reaction score
hey everyone! sent a query (via the web from) to Sam sunday night recieved a partial request from Alison this morning.

Same here. :) Queried via the web form on Sunday night, just sent off my partial to Alison.

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone's had any dealings with Alison McDonald? I was told she is handling the YA/children's aspect of things from now on

I received a very kind rejection from her this morning. She said she's full up on YA fantasy, but encouraged submissions for any other projects.

Last edited:

mcilpuf

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back from Alisha yet? Drice? Lucky Lucy?

Drice

Registered
Reaction score
I have not heard anything.

And that worries me a little because if I haven't got a rejection yet that could mean that she might actually want to do something with the ms. Alas, as in love with the piece as I was, critiques on this immensely helpful site have convinced me to learn how to write before submitting. I am working hard to put into play the gems they offered me.

But, holy crap, if she likes it, maybe she'll have some ideas on fixing it that have eluded me so far. :)

Sorry, that was probably a lot more than you wanted to hear.

Good luck with yours.

RidleyHavok

Registered
Reaction score
I talked with Ali on Thursday and she said they were a little crazy plus was International Festival of Authors. So overall busy.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
A speedy response doesn't seem to be a strong point of this agency. I queried in June and got a partial request. Sent a nudge in October saying I've since updated the MS and got a very nice apology on the amount of time they are taking and a request for a full. So I've been waiting about five months now...

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
Actually, my experience was the opposite..very speedy...4 weeks from query letter sent to offer of rep.

I think that things are beyond crazy busy for them right now. I would hold tight.