FAWM and FebNoWriMo!

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
I finally have some words for this month :) It's not a lot, about 900, but 900 more than yesterday:) And I think I might be ready to Query my other novel soon:) Aiming for end of Feb or start of March:)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I've done bugger all today. I had good intentions, but then wound up taking 3 carloads of stuff round to the grandparents' place.

The short version: we're moving there, they're moving elsewhere, about a month from now.

Which is why mum wants to get all the small stuff moved into their garage early. They don't have a car, and the movers would charge $120/hr - so for every hour's worth of loading and unloading loads of small stuff, we're saving $120.

That's all well and good, but I've done NOTHING else today. :(

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Cliff, you started/start Uni today, right? *does not know her time zones* :) Curious to see how it went.

I'm pretty certain that I'm not going to finish my goals for this month. Couple reasons:

1.) Too much Spanish left to do to get all of my writing done.
2.) Didn't expect more scholarship applications--especially one due on Wednesday.
3.) I CAN'T STOP READING. (Seems to be a problem and a good thing at the same time... :gaah)

I hate to do it, but I think I'm going to give up my writing goal for the month and focus on that last scholarship and my Spanish... I'll tackle writing next month for sure. :)

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, started Uni today. As it happens, my first lecture started precisely 1 minute after your post. So methinks you have good timezone kung fu. ;)

So... I'm doing 3 subjects. I have the readers for 2 of them, and a textbook for the other.

The writing class requires reading 7 pieces of fiction (no choice over which ones - very specifically chosen by the lecturer) as well as the reader and a guide that was given out in class. But that should be all the major reading for that class for the whole semester... Further reading will happen for the assignments, I suppose.

So couple that with the textbook for 1 philosophy subject, and the reader for the other philosophy subject... Well, I guess I'll be doing LOTS of reading over the next 4 or 5 months.

I've already done a fair amount of reading today, and I'm counting that as monthly progress because most of it was for Uni.

Going to relax for an hour, then get stuck into reading some more. I have both philosophy subjects tomorrow, so I want to get through the reader for the 1st one (maybe) and 2 chapters of the textbook for the 2nd one (if I have time).

I'm planning on being 1 step ahead of the game with Uni. We'll see how that goes. :tongue

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and so far, 2 readers and 1 textbook have set me back $85.

I'm pretty sure there's a reader still to come for the last subject, as well as those 7 books for writing... *sigh*

Okay, so actually, I have 1 of those 7 books already. Jane Eyre. That'll save me some money. But this is VERY expensive!

The big problem is, I've heard good things about all 7 of them, so I want to own them and not just borrow them...

I really need to sell some of my writing, so I can afford all this stuff. Alas, I'm stuck in edits, with too much reading to do for Uni before I can give decent time to my novel.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
:D Lol. Good timing, I suppose. Glad it's going well. Now I want to know which books you have to read Cliff. :tongue Want to see how many of them I have... I'm so nosy. :)

I can't remember if I did anything today... At all. :gaah I forget...

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
My required reading:

Philosophy - How To Think About Weird Things (Critical Thinking For A New Age)

Writing - Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre (I have this one and have already read it)
Michael Cunningham - The Hours
Lester Faigley - The Little Penguin Handbook
William Shakespeare - Macbeth (I've seen the movie a few times and might have a copy of the script somewhere)
Bram Stoker - Dracula (can't believe I haven't read this one before...)
Oscar Wilde - The Importance Of Being Earnest (seen the movie)
Virginia Woolf - Mrs Dalloway

Extra special bonus book to buy to help get a passing grade in the Creative Writing field: The Bedford Glossary Of Critical And Literary Terms (Ross Murfin).

I was going to buy these today after classes, but the lineup for the Uni book store was huge. Like, a dozen people lining up just to get IN the store, which meant that the lineup inside the store was at critical mass.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I think I have four of those :) Only one I've read is Dracula though (of course... :tongue). Not a bad list. Are there any secondhand stores around that you can look through for copies? It can be better than buying them new, and it won't be as crowded as the Uni book store.

Still can't remember what I've done today. >.< I think I'm losing it...

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, there is one used-book store near me... May check there. Maybe not... The price won't be too different from the cheapo department store, and I like having books in pristine condition.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I want to thank you, Vamp. You've inspired me to get ahead of my Uni workload, by your work in Spanish.

It's the end of day 2, all I've had is 1 class for each subject so far, and I'm already pounding through the readings. It's helping me understand the material in the classes, actually. :)

Of course, it's taking over my life, but I figure I can get heaps ahead by the end of the week, and then within a couple weeks maybe be as far as the mid-semester break for my readings. THEN I can focus on some other stuff, and work on Uni assignments without being freaked about all the reading.

And then, during the break, I can read ahead to the end of the semester.

I used to read 1 chapter ahead of the class in Physics and Maths in High School, and I aced those subjects easily. Here's hoping I can do the same with Uni classes. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I am now 2 weeks ahead of my readings for the 2 Philosophy subjects.

Tomorrow, I intend on reading heaps of the Creative Writing stuff. There are tutorials next week for that class, and I think I know what readings I need to have done by Monday. So yeah, tomorrow I do that reading, and hopefully get some of the books on my list to start cracking on them.

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
Good work Cliff :) As for me, I got some good feedback on my Query:hooray: I have my list of agents and I'm going to start sending them out tomorrow. At least then I'll be able to focus more on my second book, while I stare at the inbox of course:D

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
I have been absent for a while. So much so, I can't remember where I was up to :eek:

This month I've finished off one novella, started and dumped a second, and started work on an accidental series. March will be spent finishing the second of the series and hopefully starting on the third.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Nice, Cliff :) Glad you're getting ahead. It takes off pressure because of deadlines and stuff.

Speaking of deadlines... I have to write a one-page autobiography thingy by tomorrow. ._. I don't even know if I've done a page's worth of stuff in my lifetime... I'll most likely have to ramble.

More Spanish to work on... More statistics... And state testing, which I have to pass or I won't graduate! Yay! (No one ever informs me about when the stupid tests are... I got dragged out of first period today to start on one... Have to finish it tomorrow, and then hopefully I only have a math test left...)

Keep going everyone! One more day to go for this month.

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Procrastinated for several hours instead of writing the paper, but I just finished the fourth draft and I think it's about as good as it's going to get in one night.

Anyone ready for March yet? :) Only one more day... (Unless you're Cliff Face, who's probably going to have the MarNoWriMo thread up and running before I wake up in the morning :tongue)
~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I bought the books I needed today. I probably should've waited till tomorrow though... It was raining all day, and when I finally got home and unpacked my bag, one book was a little wet. :(

Hopefully it'll dry out nice enough.

And I have done nothing much today. Plan on changing that soon.

And I'll actually have more time at home to myself starting next week. I've gone in early twice this week already, and left late once as well, which was unneccessary.

Day 1, went in about 2 hours early to get books (first load). Left 1 hour late because I was waiting for a friend, who never showed.

Day 3, went in about 2.5 hours early for club day, to see if there were any clubs I wanted to join, and also to get the second load of books.

But no more! I'll only be going in when I need to from now on.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
We had snow this morning. :tongue Two hour delay at school. Pretty lazy day for everyone. It's Pride Week at school (Spirit Week in February, with a Sadie Hawkins dance instead of Homecoming), and today was Punk Day :) Everyone kept saying I was cheating because I dress like that every day... But oh well. :tongue I also got to put eyeliner and nail polish on a couple of my guy friends. :D Very fun.

I think I'm about burned out for February... >.< March is in three hours and forty-two minutes... Hopefully I'll get something done.

~Amber~